Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisaclv

Orth. burlemarxii and var. seabrae

LisaCLV
17 years ago

Following our discussion of these two varieties I asked Michael if he had any pictures of the adult plants. This is what he sent me:

O. burlemarxii:

{{gwi:438471}}

O. burlemarxii var. seabrae:

{{gwi:438472}}

As you can see, they are quite distinct, and both beauties! I've decided I do need both after all. ;-)

He said that he finds var. seabrae somewhat easier to grow, and that they both do better with heavy feeding. Now don't everybody deluge him with orders, I'm at the head of the line!

Comments (19)

• catkim
    17 years ago

Love the color, especially the delicate gradations in the seabrae. I want a dress like that...or a tie-dye t-shirt. : ) Or a plant!!!

• User
    17 years ago

Tap-Tap, dibs!

• hotdiggetydam
    17 years ago

HaHa at the head of the line :)~

• bob740
    17 years ago

Lisa,...seabrae looks much like albopictum [when not in bloom],same size etc.,perhaps the seabrae leaves are a tad wider. Great color in seabrae,...now you got me wanting one,and I'm probably last in line now ;-)
    Bob

• LisaCLV
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes, I was not expecting v. seabrae to be so stunning and different, Bob. I'm really taken by the lovely multi-hued pastel tones. He said he'd put my name on an albopictum when the next pup comes along, but it sounds like it may be a while. In the meantime, I'll be happy with this!

Do you have any idea how long it takes to bloom? A friend of mine has had burlemarxii for years and it's never bloomed or done much of anything, but I don't think she's been feeding it as much as it sounds like it wants.

• hotdiggetydam
    17 years ago

The wait on the list will be a long one and blooms too

• bob740
    17 years ago

Lisa,no idea on the time it takes to bloom seabrae,or B.M.,as I never had either.Perhaps Stephania could tell us something.Thats a good tip on the feeding for these two Ortho's.
    I find it just the opposite for O.'Starlights'[gurkenii x sucrei],which I have way too many of,as its soooo prolific for me.They bloom and pup constantly,even tho I've stopped using fertilizer on them.
    I guess thats a good thing,but I wish the others that are harder to grow would do that too.
    Lets see a pic of the Orthos you get from Michael when they arrive.
    Bob

• hotdiggetydam
    17 years ago

hehe Lisa best get her plants named and sent to Micheal also..(taps foot waiting)

• LisaCLV
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Patience is a virtue, HDD, or haven't you heard? ;-)

It'll happen....

• hotdiggetydam
    17 years ago

Patience my ___ Im here to kill sumtin (old joke)

• stephania
    17 years ago

Hi all,

Actully, I have three of them and found that Orth. burle-marxii var. seabre grow faster
    than another two. I guess it must be a long way to see they bloom.

I agree with you Bob ! this is my Mad Orth. 'Starlight'
    {{gwi:438473}}

• bob740
    17 years ago

Hello Stephania,out of curiosity,I counted my O.'Starlights' tonight,and came up with 28. I don't remember how many have expired in the past,or that I've given away. All this from one plant purchased from Tropiflora in 1999. Now that's one prolific producer,and a nice return on a $6 investment !
    Bob

• stephania
    17 years ago

That sound great Bob, I saw in E-bay they sell these Ortho. as 'Rare stuff' ,alot of of bucks!

Hey...Lisa look at this, your x Neophytum'Andromeda' is already potted up in our nice clay pot.
    And did you got the 'Ginger of Thailand' book from Robin ?

{{gwi:438474}}

Crypt. 'Ken Vinzant' is really fascinating, seem he like Thailand...
    {{gwi:438475}}

• hotdiggetydam
    17 years ago

hmmmph !!!!! Texas is a nice home too yanno...Nice plants stephania

• LisaCLV
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I haven't heard from Robin since she got back, Stephania. I guess I'd better give her a call if I want to see that book!

Another Ortho, not quite as prolific as 'Starlights', but nearly so, is my little 'Brittle Star':

{{gwi:438476}}

'Stellar Beauty' is pretty, and easy to grow too. I meant to ask if you have this one, Stephania?

{{gwi:438477}}

• stephania
    17 years ago

Wow...in fact I didn't know why I got this plant from Michael last year,
    as I just only saw the name, but you've proved it's really worth, Lisa !
    For me, your Orth.'Brittle Star' should be the best hybrid of Ortho in this century.
    My plant get bigger and much much more beautiful !

I realized as you had told that one of its parentage is Orth. 'Starlight',
    but I really wonder where did those big teeth came from?
    I guess it has some Ortho. saxicola characteristics, at least the nice compact form.

I don't have 'Stella Beauty' yet, it look so charming too.
    But I got one name 'Mother Lodge' from Tropiflora, it has silver leaves,
    with less scurf than your plant.

• LisaCLV
    Original Author
    17 years ago

'Brittle Star' is a small plant, Stephania. That is a 4" pot that it's in. It is an F2 of a saxicola x gurkenii cross that my friend made, so it has saxicola's clustering habit but the flower comes up on a short stalk. I don't have a picture of it in bloom, but this is either its parent or a sibling, it blooms the same way:

{{gwi:438478}}

Most of them came out with silver scurf, but Brittle Star was the only "naked" one, which makes the spines much more noticeable with their yellow highlights towards the center. Give it plenty of sun and plenty of water. These were just potted up a month or two ago and they've really perked up, unlike my Dyckias that I divided at the same time, which still look very sad. I do much better with the Orthos, so I think I'll stick with those.

'Stellar Beauty' is a cv. of 'Warren Loose', which is itself a cv. of gurkenii. I don't know if that means they were seedlings or sports, but it really is a beauty!

• bromeliaddict
    17 years ago

Looks like that whole grex of saxicola x gurkenii had a bunch of winners! I suddenly have that feeling that hdd so often expresses.... I'd like one of those, and one of those, and that one over there!....

• hotdiggetydam
    17 years ago

LOL bromeliaddict isnt that the way to shop?. If there is another way I dont know it. Just make sure they have large shopping carts or folks to haul the purchases to check out (hehe)

Sponsored
More Discussions