Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
central_cali369

Can i mount a bromeliad on a tree fern?

Central_Cali369
15 years ago

Hey all! I am not really into bromeliads, the reason being i can't grow many of the species in our dry, hot summers or our cool, wet winters. I do, however, have a mounted bromeliad that was given to me as a gift. It's one of the common ones you find at grocery stores (neoregelia?). It has spent the last two years outside under a porch and the mother plant bloomed, and began to pup. It is now a nice clump. I was wondering since it has spent summer and winter outdoors, if i could possible mount them on the trunk of a tree fern (cyathe australis). The cyathea is only about three feet from where the bromeliad has spent the last two years, at the edge of the porch. I placed a tillisandia there, but unfortunately, it rotted from too much rain this winter (those fibers hold too much water i think) and the cool temperatures probably helped do it in too. Anyway, here is a picture of the tillisandia while it was still alive, just to give you an idea of the texture of the "growing medium" it would be in if i mounted it there. This spot is deeply shaded, and also protected from potential frost. If you notice on the left, there are spathyphyllum (peace lilies, not to be confused with the hosta on the right) that have been there since i moved here.

{{gwi:438528}}

and here's a photo of the general area where the tree fern is, so that you get an idea of where the bromeliad is now. Underneath the porch: behind the white columns that are to the right of the photo.

{{gwi:52535}}

Comments (3)

Sponsored
More Discussions