Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flabrom

BIC - Harry Luther

flabrom
14 years ago

The big news in the bromeliad world today is the resignation of Harry Luther as director of the Bromeliad Identification Center, located at Marie Selby Gardens in Sarasota, FL.

Harry's resignation is effective February 8 - he is going to Singapore to work in the botanical garden there.

There is no word yet on a replacement (as if).

Comments (13)

• hotdiggetydam
    14 years ago

Sad to hear this. Harry was a big asset to us all.

• User
    14 years ago

Man, I'll bet Chanin's one happy camper!

• kerry_t_australia
    14 years ago

Thanks for the news, Flabrom.
    Good luck to Harry with his sea-change and new challenges. No doubt he'll be BIC's loss, but Singapore's gain. He sure will be hard to replace! Is it the BSI directors' role to employ a new BIC director? or who?

K

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

You mean Lyndi, don't you Gonz? Chanin's in Bangkok. ;-)

That's certainly a shocker! The name Harry Luther has been synonymous with the BIC for so long I figured he'd be there forever. Is there still even going to be a BIC at Selby?

• hotdiggetydam
    14 years ago

Selby is headed in a new direction according to the management statements.

• fdnpedro
    14 years ago

Sure is a shame. I have no idea if the BIC will still function as it has and Harry isn't commenting there. He was so accommodating but I'm sure will still be active taxonomically in Singapore - still plenty of unfinished 'business'!
    I gather that new direction could be housing! Or is that just a rumour?
    Pedro

• lyndi_whye
    14 years ago

Yay! Welcome Harry!

• turtlewalker
    14 years ago

Did Harry give his resignation to at Marie Selby Gardens or just Bromeliad Identification Center?

The BIC can move with Harry I would think.

• flabrom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Turtlewalker, Harry resigned from Selby and is moving to Singapore.

I have no idea what the legal relationship is between the BSI and Selby and how the whole BIC will work out.

Selby is indeed heading in a new direction - no orchids, no BIC - one wonders where that direction is actually going.

• bob61
    14 years ago

Harry's position will be Assistant Director/Horticulture,Gardens By The Bay,National Parks Board, Singapore and will continue to work with Bromeliad taxonomy as part of his job.
    Selby Gardens is in the process of selling off much of there plant collection and from what I here most of the green houses along with many of the buildings will be condemned and torn down to make way for commercial or even private use. One such building that was to be put on the National Register of historic places has already been condemned. From what I here the people entrusted with Selby made there fortunes in the private sector in real estate.

• mike4284m
    14 years ago

First Tropiflora and now Harry Luther . . . Let's just hope Singapore doesn't come knocking on Michael's door! In all seriousness it sounds like quite an adventurous opportunity for Harry and I wish him well.

• hotdiggetydam
    14 years ago

Mike I don't think we have to worry about Michael...:)

• User
    14 years ago

So who's gonna be the 'Shell Answer Man' now?

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor
More Discussions