Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucius_13

I have a sick guzmania.

lucius_13
14 years ago

Hello,

I have had a small, red guzmania for a a few months now. I had to leave for three weeks and couldnÂt give the plant to anybody. ItÂs quite cold where I live and the apartment was unheated. When I returned the leaves were stiff, curled up and a bit dry but still green. The tips of the brackets are brown. I donÂt want to see it die. Could you please tell me what to doÂ

Comments (5)

• hotdiggetydam
    14 years ago

water it and pray

• lucius_13
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, watering it was the first thing I did. I was just wondering if anybody had any suggestions about something else I might do concerning the room temperature, the brown ends and the leaves.

• hotdiggetydam
    14 years ago

you can trim off the dead parts and Guzmania like temps around 70-80F with 50% humidity. Most of them don't like direct sunlight, bright indirect light is best

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi lucius_13

Judging by my records, not only are you the first person to sign up from France since I joined, but you're also the first new member of the New Year, so welcome to our group and I hope you have an enjoyable association.

I have a few Guzzies, but I am by no means an expert on these or any other types of broms for that matter.

Your plant seems like it is suffering extreme stress from the cold as well as lack of water. I would just add to HDD's answer by suggesting you add some Seasol or similar product to the water. I have used it a number of times on my collection which consists mainly of Neoregelias when ever the plants are stressed by heat or cold and the recovery has been remarkable. However, even if the plant dies, don't give up, because I have seen pups come from seemingly dead plants in a last ditch stand for the plant to reproduce itself.

There are other members who grow Guzmanias on this forum who could probably better advise you than I, but in my opinion the Seasol is worth trying.

All the best, Nev.

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Hi Luscius , he is a tip that we (orchid growers) used to employ in the days of importing jungle collected plants ,wich would arive dehydrated etc ,and i have used on many Bromeliads that have suffered like yours , get a bucket of warm ( not hot ) water ,big enough to contain the plant ,add 1 cup of sugar (any type) and submerge the entire plant to soak for about 1/2 hour ,and repot ,leave in a slightly warm spot spot for a couple of days and mist the plant at regular intervals ,the brown tips ? well you can only trim them of ,they will not go green again.The sugar seems to be taken up by plants and does give them a quick boost ,no i have niot had any adverse reactions on any Broms/orchids/succulents etc with this treatment ,best of luck.
    Jack

Sponsored
More Discussions