{{gwi:438910}}

Comments (29)

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Interesting bloom

• bryan69
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Its not your everyday dyckia bloom. This plant is used a lot for crosses. Its not real red but it seems to bring out that feature.Everything is blooming now so I will attempt to cross a few. Do you think the pollen is hot enough this time of year?

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Unless its super cold where you live I would try the crosses and protect the blooms from freezing temps and heavy rain

• bryan69
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am in the new orleans area. they are in the greenhouse but i am thinking about bringing them inside a few days while i do the crosses

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Good idea until you see that the seed is set

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Bryan where did you purchase your reitzii rubra? I looked for this plant some time back with no success.

• bryan69
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think i got it years ago at a sale.

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Doesnt seem to be available any where at present

• bryan69
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I will keep you in mind when it pups. As of now it is just splitting heads.

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Lets hope I find one before that happens LOL

• bryan69
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am crossing it with estivisii if i get seeds i'll send you one.seedling that is

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Cool thank you..I am sure I will have something you will like also

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Bring the seedling to the 2010 World Conference I will pick it up there LOL

• bryan69
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I won't be on the tour list but you can come by and visit my collection

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Do you plan to attend the conference. I doubt I do any garden tours

• bryan69
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I will be there.I am president of river ridge bromeliad society. I'm sure we will be helping gnobs. I will also be in baton rouge for the guild show this year

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

What are the dates for the show in Baton Rouge. I might drive over.

• bryan69
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't know if the date has been set yet. I will talk to Michael Young at the next Baton Rouge meeting and find out

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Well they pick a bad time of year to plan the guild show peak hurricane season. Last years was cancelled because of IKE. Dates are Sept. 25-27

• bryan69
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I know the Corpus Christi show a few years ago got cancelled and the one in Houston a few years ago made Dennis from Tropaflora leave early because they were going to get hit. At least the extravaganza is in November this year. We got stuck in Florida last year cause of Gustav. Not such a bad place to get stuck but worring about all the plants left behind and not secured made it an unforgetable experience. I thought we were reliving Katrina

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

I think its time they considered a different time of year for that show. With that many cancellations in the last few years, someone should figure out people are losing interest. Your right its not a bad place to be stuck unless you are worrying about your home. I didnt go to the Extravganza this last year because of the hurricane activity but the one in 2007 was great

• bryan69
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We had a good time in 07. I got carried away at the auction. Its a kick in the butt to bid for crap you don't need.I came home with too many plants. I did get a great deal at the auction for Isleys Tillandsia book.I already had one but figured I could sell on e-bay. Then I could by more plants.

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Amen to many plants but I don't know if there is to many LOL

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

"Always room for one more"

Nev.

• bryan69
    Original Author
    15 years ago

But when you don't have room to put your beer down then you have problems

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

the beer would have to go :)

• bromadams
    15 years ago

You don't always have room for one more, but you can always upgrade! I think I just hit the upgrade only level. This morning I was trying to find a place for a N Ariel and I had to put a plant in the "give away" corner to make room.

• paul_t23
    15 years ago

Maybe some sort of backpack with a drinking tube? .....might only work with wine or spirits though ....

• Constantino Gastaldi
    14 years ago

Dyckia reitzii rubra comes from a single spot in Notheastern Rio Grande do Sul here in Brazil. It is a very protected area. This species is known as The snow Dyckia ´cause it hrives in spots where the snow is quite common in harsh winters. This ruba form has a very very limited area. There you can see the normal green one and the rubra form. There are many shades of red color and thers is one that is totally deep red up tp a point of the plant look to be translucent. This one we see here is a superb plant but it is not the redder of all.
    Also there is a silver variety of Dyckia reitzii and a stripped one like that zebra we saw here in the forum.
    This is one of the most beautiful Dyckia bloom.
    This deep red form and the silver and laso the stripped one will take ages to be seen out of Brazil. The plant now is under the protection of the law and is well guarded. The population is very restricted to a single area. National Park of Aparados da Serra. It is a very beautiful place. There is a huge canyon there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dyckia Brazil

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor
More Discussions