Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19765985

I think I'm there

User
15 years ago

Won't bother you anymore but I think this's gonna work.

{{gwi:438977}}

{{gwi:438978}}

Comments (19)

• frangipani_56
    15 years ago

Hi Gonzer,
    I think you are.Perfect color and detail.
    Please keep bothering us,looking at pictures on this website is one of my main reasons for logging onto the computer.
    Hope to see more.
    Fran

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Looking good....... now let's see one of just the stigma! ;-)

• sdandy
    15 years ago

Yeah, I don't know, looks like a little bit of glare on the bottom right of the first one! Guess you need to practice and show us some more. Ha ha. The color and texture of those flowers is nicely done.

• avane_gw
    15 years ago

That's right, Gonzer, bother us more!

That billbergia flower looks exquisite.

Japie

• bromadams
    15 years ago

Gonzer, let me know if you get good red colors that aren't over saturated. I've never been able to take a decent picture of a plant with a bright red flower.

• avane_gw
    15 years ago

Gonzer, I am really intrigued with the settings you used for that Bill picture, especially concidering you used a flash and patterned metering with NO spots with to much light. And the colour of the petals is magnificent!

I took some to show you today. First one that you got a piece of, Till tenuifolia var surinamensis:
    {{gwi:438979}}

And then the one that you identified for me, Till velutina, about 2 weeks ago and today:

{{gwi:438980}}

{{gwi:438981}}

And then a vriesea erythrodactylon inflorescence. I could not tesist taking the picture when I saw the sun coming through from behind. Look at the actual flowers still developing inside the floral bracts! But the top of the inflo is a bit overexposed to get those gost images of the flowers. And then a second picture to show just the top.

{{gwi:438982}}

{{gwi:438983}}

Japie

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Aw Jeez Japie, that last picture is sublime!
    It's gonna take time to decipher the various settings that I can "play" with. I am going to start using a tripod with delayed shooting for close-ups. Funny thing is is that the bill flower was taken without a tripod. Maybe I shoulda/coulda been a brain surgeon! ;-)

• bromadams
    15 years ago

You don't need a tripod in most cases. You have image stabilization and a highly sensitive sensor. The colors don't look all that "right" in low light, so wait for a bit more light and skip the tripod. Just my 2 cents opinion and I do have a tripod and never use it for plants.

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Puts on helmet to protect brain and runs away!!!!!!!! LOL

• bromadams
    15 years ago

I want to see some pollen!

{{gwi:438984}}

• bromadams
    15 years ago

Here is my backlit plant photo:

{{gwi:438985}}

• avane_gw
    15 years ago

Bromadams, please tell me about image stabilization as I could NEVER have been a brain surgeon! I just use a shutterspeed as fast as possible to try and avoid 'shake'. Looking at the 2 close-ups below, you can clearly see that I need it! The first picture is just to show all in context. The colour of the flower in the 2nd picture is the most true to life, the shade especially influence the blue colours. I do not like to use the flash for close-ups as I mostly do not have a surface to bounce the light off from. Neo rubrovittata.

{{gwi:438986}}

{{gwi:438987}}

{{gwi:438988}}

Japie

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Japie, seriously, you need to send those in to FCBS. That is one gnarly-looking stigma on RV! Do you think if I show the pics to my plants they'll finally get the idea?

• neomea
    15 years ago

Nice Japie

Have you done some besmetting? Pollinating?

• avane_gw
    15 years ago

Dennis I did! If I recall correctly, you had one in flower last season - did you pollinate it, did it take?

• neomea
    15 years ago

Hey Japie!

I did and I managed one seed pod. I have plenty of seedlings (long pointy leaves but nice and tough already)at 10cm tall but still green....

• bromadams
    15 years ago

All the new gen DSLRs have built in image stabilization. Some, like Canon, do it in the lens while others do it in the camera body. I can take pictures at 1/25 second with no blur as long as the plant stays still.

• avane_gw
    15 years ago

Gonzer, I learned something from you - to use the flash sometimes, even if there is enough light to take the picture without it. Thanks!

{{gwi:438989}}

Japie

• bromadams
    15 years ago

That's a very nice pic. Maybe I'll get my flash out and see what happens. I have a Speedlite 220ex but I haven't played much with the flash in the manual modes. I see you used shutter priority which is Tv?. I guess I'll break out the manual and figure it out.

Sponsored
More Discussions