Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missmaddylyn

Can they be saved?

MissMaddylyn
10 years ago

I recieved these three plants from work, she thought they just looked rough and didnt want to try to sell them anymore. I would like to save them if possible, but have never had bromeliads before. Any tips?

Comments (5)

• splinter1804
    10 years ago

I agree they do look a bit rough - My first thoughts are over-watered and growing in very low light

I'm not an expert by any means but I have grown Brom's for a while and can only tell you what I would do here where I live in Australia.

Firstly start with the basics and take them out of the pots and check the potting mix to see if it's too wet or not.

If it is, remove all the old mix and any dead roots. While it's out of the pot also remove any dead leaves and trim back any broken ones.

Check for signs of Root Mealy Bug (See: http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r280301011.html ) and if present, give the whole plant a soak in a good reliable systemic insecticide following manufacture's instructions.

Re-pot in a good quality open type orchid potting mix which will allow the water to drain though easily. Water well and then give a dose of a good quality seaweed tonic such as Seasol or equivalent.

Put the plants in a well lit position out of direct sun and just water as required.

As I don't know your growing conditions I can't advise on this except to say that more plants die of over-watering than under-watering. Perhaps someone in your own locality could better advise you on this very important cultural activity.

I hope this is of some help to you

All the best, Nev.

• MissMaddylyn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I did take them out of the pots and they did seem damp, but I will re-pot them this week if I can find the orchid mix. I live in WI, USA so its cold outside and I leave my plants in my living room with the blinds all open so they can soak up the light. I might be picking up a plant bulb from work and hanging it to see if that helps.

Is this Seasol organic? Trying to avoid any chemicals I can, as I was hoping to use these in a paludarium.

I also noticed two pups, should I pull these off right away?

• sunshine_qld
    10 years ago

Don't pull the pups off. These are your new plants to carry on after mum has flowered and faded away. Leave them until they are at least 1/2 size of mum or as you are in the middle of winter they will be okay until spring.
    Pot them up as Nev has advised.

• MissMaddylyn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How would I know if the roots are dead? I'm trying to repot them now and they are definitely too wet, but so many roots! Should I trim them back until the main stalk is exposed?

• splinter1804
    10 years ago

Hi again - Identifying dead roots is a bit awkward for me to explain, however if they are dry and papery they are dead and if they are wet and squishy they are dead also. Live roots should feel firm to the touch.

Even if all the roots are dead they can be removed as they are of no use to the plant anyway and the plant will eventually grow new ones if potted securely so that it can't move about.

If a plant is potted loosely and can move it wont put down new roots and that's a fact of life.

As for the Seasol I mentioned, it is organic but it isn't a fertiliser and the best way to describe it is that its a "tonic".

I highly recommend it for any plants that are stressed and you can read all about it at: http://www.seasol.com.au/

All the best, Nev.