Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Neoregelia 'Fireball'

Posted by tropicalzone7 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 21, 10 at 18:34

Hi.
Im pretty much new to bromeliads, other than my pineapple plants and large amount of tillisandias, including spanish moss. But I dont have too much of an idea about Neoregelia 'Fireball', which a plant I recently bought. I know the requirements (humidity, water in the center, lots of good air circulation, and to avoid hot dry sun), but Im not sure about what type of soil to plant it in.
I have a regular hanging basket and regular soil, does a Neoregelia 'Fireball' handle regular soil or should I mount it on something? If I need to mount it, what do you think is the best object to mount it on for a natural look, and how well do the roots anchor into an object. Do they have to live in those special bromeliad hanging baskets instead of my regular hanging basket.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Neoregelia 'Fireball'

Hi Tropic ,if you use a mix thats recommended for Cymbidium Orchids you wont go wrong ,any hanging basket type will do ,its a tough plant needs very good light,regular soil is not recommended ,other than that its a trouble free plant, cheers ,Jack

o

Thanks a lot for your help! Ill go looking for some orchid soil.

o

Hm-mmm so this does need soil. :/ was hoping it didn't.

o

I bought my first Neoregelia, and as part of research of new plants I always check the PATSP blob (always funny, well and lively written and very useful and descriptive). Neo "Fireball" happened to be profiled there: http://plantsarethestrangestpeople.blogspot.com/2008/10/dorothy-gale-neoregelia-fireball.html.

Enjoy ye, whoever stumbles upon this.

o

If you want it really red, it needs morning sun until about 10am. I grow mine in trees so they will grow without soil.

o

Hi everyone - It's been a while, but I still drop in from time to time. G'Day Jack haven't seen you here for a while either.

I have found Neo. Fireball to be a most accommodating plant which when given the right conditions will quickly grow into a nice specimen. It will grow in a pot, is suitable for basket culture and is also equally comfortable mounted on an old Tree Fern stump or on a living tree.

I saw the one in the pic at a brom show recently and personally I wouldn't have used a pot that large, but as you can see, it didn't seem to worry the plant which is growing well and seems to be pretty forgiving in whatever container it's in as long as it's well drained. Also notice the bit of trellis at the rear which the plant is also growing up.

All the best, Nev.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here