Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bromadams

Hohenbergia pennae

bromadams
15 years ago

Anybody growing Hohenbergia pennae? I'm treating it much like an Aechmea and growing it a bit hard and it's looking sort of good.

{{gwi:439853}}

Comments (13)

• bromaholic
    15 years ago

Oh I wish I was growing it!! I don't even know if it is in Oz...it's beautiful!

• devo_2006
    15 years ago

I agree that's a stunning plant, & you're growing it very well bromadams. We don't have too many Hohenbergia down here, most don't like our cold wet winters. Hohenbergia correia-araujoi is the only one often seen in collections, & it does OK here if given some protection over winter. H pennae would be a welcome addition to the collection...let me know if you get any seed when it eventually flowers.

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Yep - it's a beauty alright! I did try growing it several years ago, but it kept pupping at a very small size, never getting any bigger. I separated them, and then all four died on me...very sad.
    I've had better luck with Hohenbergia vestita - also a beauty.

Bromadams - yours looks a lot squatter than other Hoh. pennae I've seen.

Cheers,
    Kerry

• bromadams
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kerry, I agree that it looks less strappy than the few I've seen in pictures. I do like the compact form that I have. Mine is about 14" tall.

• aroideana
    15 years ago

I managed to kill my pennae a few years ago . Saw a clump at a mates place , but will have to wait for seedlings .
    I am a big fan and have several spp. and a few hybrids .
    just got a castellanosii , and a few more leopoldo-horstii hybrids . My catingae var. eximbricata should flower very soon . I think yours looks more like vestita than pennae though .

• User
    15 years ago

Well shoot, I guess mine isn't it. This is the plant that was labeled "from the Burle-Marx garden". Sorta looks like pennae.

{{gwi:439855}}

• mike4284m
    15 years ago

The only Hoh. pennae I've ever seen had a more bulbous base with thinner leaves. This one was recently fertilized since it was just separated from its mum. I wonder if that had some effect? I've never grown it myself.

{{gwi:439856}}

• bromadams
    Original Author
    15 years ago

aroideana, do you have a good pic of vestita? The Bromdex photos aren't the best.

My plant does look alot like whatever Gonzer has.

• aroideana
    15 years ago

sorry Adam , no good picture on vestita , only 2 small pups that to me look very much like antillana pups at the moment .

HEY Gonzer , no seed set on that wicked sp. of yours ??
    I will swim over for a few of those pups .

• User
    15 years ago

Aroid, sadly no :-(....BUT...with my new found pollinating pointers from y'all, the next time I gar-un-TEE seeds! (for you)

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Bromadams - to my eyes, your squat hoh has different spines to Gonzer's mystery hoh., which are much larger and scarier.

Mike's pennae photo looks closer to the form and spines of those examples of Hoh. pennae shown on the fcbs photo index.

I have a (supposed) Hoh. vestita currently in flower. I will post photos of it shortly.

K

• bromadams
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think my Ho has a nice form. Anyway, you are right about the spines, my Ho is whimpy in comparison.

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Here are photos of my Hoh. vestita currently in flower.

{{gwi:439857}}

{{gwi:439858}}

{{gwi:439859}}

{{gwi:439860}}

{{gwi:439861}}

{{gwi:439862}}

{{gwi:439863}}

Cheers,
    Kerry

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews