Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bromadams

registration

bromadams
15 years ago

Do you register bromeliads on bsi.org or fcbs.org or both? I found the registration link on bsi but can't find one on fcbs.

Comments (21)

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Only BSI (the international society) - with the official bromeliad registry.

K

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

There is a link at FCBS

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

In case you didnt find it

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

• neomea
    15 years ago

Hey Bromadams.

What you regestering? Hmmmm hmmm spill da beans!

Dennis

• udo69
    15 years ago

Hi All,

I sent the informations and photos directly to Uncle Derek. He said the webmaster of both web is the same. My hybrid photos just published on FCBS this month after registered to BSI in June 2008.

Cheers
    Yong
    (Sathitvong Chayangsu)

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

We have a new registrar now

• udo69
    15 years ago

Sorry. HDD who is the new registar? Is he not Uncle Derek?
    I'm out of date now. Thank for the information.

Cheers
    Yong

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

The usual procedure for registering new cultivars is to send everything to the registrar, who records it and then forwards it to FCBS for posting in the photo index. If you just have additional pics of species or cvs. that are already represented in the index and don't need to be registered, then you can send them directly to FCBS.

Uncle Derek retired at the end of the year. The new registrar is Geoff Lawn. He occasionally posts here, so I'll leave it to him whether or not he wants to post his email. In the meantime, if you send the photos and info to the webmaster at FCBS (Michael Andreas) they will get forwarded to him and he will get in touch with you. Or if you have Derek's email, he will forward it, I'm sure.

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Just checked the form on HDD's link. First time I've seen that, I've never used it! ;-)

• bromadams
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I did try to register a sport on BSI but the form was broken. I emailed the webmaster and Ken said he fixed that. I haven't retried yet. Supposedly there are instruction for sending the pictures to bsi once the registration form is processed. I wasn't able to get that far.

I heard this weekend that fcbs isn't willing to share the pictures they have with bsi so you should probably send them to bsi first and then they can share with fcbs.

• geoff3147
    15 years ago

Yes, I have become the new BSI Cultivar Registrar from 1/1/09.

The online BSI cultivar registration form link does work, also photos can be submitted through: cultivars@bsi.org/ Currently these are still linked to Derek Butcher who forwards on reg. applications and photos to me.

Until the electronic switchover is done (the BSI is currently looking for a new Webmaster), alternatively reg. applications and photos can be emailed direct to me at:
    grlcomosus@bigpond.com

Thanks,

Geoff Lawn.

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Bromadams maybe you should investigate that kind of statement before posting it here. There maybe a reason like FCBS protects the photo's from people using them for commercial gain and that is a big problem right now, There are jerks on EBAY that think they have rights to those photos.

• bromadams
    Original Author
    15 years ago

HDD, who said I didn't investigate the statement?

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Well any further information to share on the reasons why?

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Geoff - Congratulations on taking on the voluntary role of the new BSI Cultivar Registrar!
    I wish you a smooth transition and great success, in what I imagine could be a daunting and often-thankless task.

Will there be any/many changes to the aims and procedure of registration?
    Will you be speaking on registration matters at the next national Australian brom conference in Adelaide this Easter?

Do we now call you "Uncle Geoff"?

Cheers,
    Kerry

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Well for now I think I will continue to send my photo's in to FCBS

• flabrom
    15 years ago

There seems to be some misunderstanding about how the cultivar registration process works and, especially, how the pictures end up on the Florida Council website.

The FCBS webmaster created the online Cultivar Registry and maintains it with the BSI Registrar. Former BSI webmasters were not interested in posting photographs on the BSI site, and so the pictures of registered bromeliads were integrated into the FCBS Photo Index. This is not a matter of FCBS not wanting to share its pictures with the BSI. The BSI was never interested in the first place.

When a bromeliad is registered, the Cultivar Registrar sends the pictures to FCBS.

As a service to the bromeliad community, the Florida Council provides a home for the Cultivar Registry and the FCBS webmaster posts the pictures in one place - making access easy for everyone.

It is true, however, that the Florida Council does not permit the commercial use of pictures posted on its website. This not only protects the authors of those pictures from someone profiting from their work but it also protects the integrity of the Counci's not-for-profit status.

I hope this clears up some of your questions about the relationship between FCBS and BSI.

• paul_t23
    15 years ago

Makes sense to me. No point in having the same info or images handled and stored in 2 different places - it would just double the workload and add to the confusion. Having registration details in one place and images in one place with a link between them should work just fine.

I think it is just amazing and wonderful that these brilliant services are provided at all - and on a voluntary basis at that! Fantastic effort.

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Thanks, flabrom, that should answer a lot of questions.

You know, on this forum we sometimes get so involved in blowing off steam about some photo on FCBS that bugs us or how we think the registry ought to be run, that we forget to mention that we all use these services on an almost daily basis (at least I do), and they are really an invaluable tool for anyone with any kind of interest in bromeliads. I use the registry and photo index databases not just for registering my own hybrids or IDing plants, but also for research into what sort of traits can be expected to be passed on by any cultivar to its offspring. It has saved me an awful lot of time and effort and contributed greatly to my understanding. Even while I'm moaning about hybridizers who register 20 or 30 cvs from the same grex, I still appreciate the opportunity that gives me to look at all of the grexmates and draw some genetic clues from it. I guess that's what you'd call kind of a mixed blessing. ;-)

At any rate, none of these things were available when I started hybridizing. Up until just a few years ago there was only hard copy of the registry that got updated maybe once every 10 years (and cost a fair chunk of cash to buy). Back then Sharon P. and I used to spend countless hours on the phone reading the descriptions, or speculating as to what they must look like and trying to picture them in our mind's eye. We'd always end up saying "Jeez, wouldn't it be great if there was some way we could actually see color pictures of some of these plants?" We had a few reference books with pictures, but how could you put ALL of that into a single book? The cost would have been outrageous and it would take a forklift just to lift it! Now it's all available online for free with constant updates, and I, for one, don't know how I ever lived without it!

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Isn't nature wonderful? The posibilities of what can happen are infinite. And with good photo resources everyone has a chance to enjoy them.