Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bromadams

some Billbergia bigenerics

bromadams
14 years ago

I've mentioned that I've done a bunch of Billbergia bigenerics and I took a few pictures today, and I'll get a few more pics tomorrow to show some more. None of these are particularly desirable, but I do find them interesting. Still a month or two away from first flowers on some of them.

This first one I'm still not 100% sure of the parentage, but it's B. distachia x N marmorata hybrid (probably). I did Florel this one and it flushed a bit and appears to be flowering. At this point it looks exactly like a Neo and doesn't show any of the mother. I have another one that looks exactly the same except it has not flushed and I did not Florel it.

{{gwi:440268}}

This one is just the tip of a B. La Noche x Neo: Puppy Love or Granada, I can't remember right now. This one had some great color early on and then lost it but it does seem to be coloring up again. This does have a Billbergia type tank and wasn't completely dominated by the Neo parentage. I have quite a few from this grex and some are quite colorful, but smaller and less photogenic.

{{gwi:440270}}

This third one is B. Kyoto x Neo cruenta rubra and there are no Billbergia traits in sight. I have some Neo cruenta seedlings and I really can't tell the difference, except this is much slower growing.

{{gwi:440272}}

I took pictures of a few more, but the quality was poor, so I'll try to get some better pics tomorrow.

Comments (8)

• bromadams
    Original Author
    14 years ago

More plants:

This is B. 'La Noche' x N. 'Puppy Love' and it's pretty boring.
    {{gwi:440275}}

I almost like this one. It's hard to photograph with the heavy scurf and dark blushing since I Florel'd it. I expect flowers soon. This is Ae. distachantha x B. distachia.
    {{gwi:440278}}

• paul_t23
    14 years ago

Hi Nick,

Interesting to see, thanks for sharing them. Did you happen to get any results with Bills x Aech. chantinii?

Cheers, Paul

• kerry_t_australia
    14 years ago

I agree - very interesting Nick. Even more interesting will be the inflorescence they each develop.

I would never have guessed the parentage of that last dark, frosty one! - or any of them actually.

Thanks Dr. Frankenstein - please keep us updated. :)

K

• bromadams
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I don't have a lots of Billbergias and lately I'm having a very low success rate with bigeneric crosses using Billbergias. None of the crosses I've done in the last year have taken (so far). But, I only tried two Billbergias and they were not interested in the pollen I gave them. I put some Billbergia pollen on a few plants in December and it's too early to tell but I'd bet they didn't take.

I never really tried to cross a Billbergia with a chantinii. But, I wouldn't be surprised if it worked. I've used chantiniis in a fair number of my bigeneric crosses.

I have 4 more Billbergia bigeneric crosses that I could show but I think I'll wait until they flower.

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi bromadams,

Up until now I've never really been interested in bigenerics but looking at your plant of Ae. distachantha x B. distachia is probably going to change all of that.

I find it a most interesting looking plant and would be very interested to see what it flowers like.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks for sharing, all the best, Nev.

• noid.guest
    14 years ago

Even though I am not a hybridizer, I think it is highly beneficial to see the result of crosses also when they did not turn out to be as nice as one might thought. This saves a number of years of trying by others and, I guess, not to mention the pot-space saved for something else!

I join those who favor that dark colored one. Please keep us posted.

• bromadams
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is another B. 'Kyoto' x N. cruenta. This does look like a Billbergia. This is quite large compared to the other one I showed.

{{gwi:440281}}

• bromadams
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Starting to see the inflorescence on the two xBillmeas that I Florel'd. They are coming up slowly, so maybe they will last a while.

{{gwi:440282}}

{{gwi:440283}}

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living
More Discussions