Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
devo_2006

Alcantarea in flower

devo_2006
15 years ago

Back in Sept Â08, I posted a few photos of Alcanatrea under the topic ÂAlcantarea ArtÂ. Included in that series of picÂs was a photo of an Alcantarea imperials Rubra just starting to form its flower spike. Well now some 4 mths on the spike is in full flower, & I must say it looks spectacularÂso I thought IÂd post some current picÂs.

{{gwi:440357}}

{{gwi:440359}}

{{gwi:440361}}

{{gwi:440362}}

{{gwi:440364}}

Comments (10)

• bromaholic
    15 years ago

Pure beauty - exceptionally well grown; congratulations!

• rickta66
    15 years ago

Andrew,

I always love to see your Alcantarea photos, it certainly does look spectacular.

Thanks for sharing.

Rick

• sdandy
    15 years ago

Nice to see the final product looks as good as your artful shots from earlier. Other than odorata, do any of the alcantareas have a fragrance? Do the alcantareas set seeds readily? From all the great pictures in old posts it looks like you guys on the other half of the earth are growing a bunch of species and varieties and grow them well.

Keep sending your great pictures of great plants Andrew. They are great for motivation and ideas (and learning).

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Those photo's need to be sent in to FCBS(atleast send the last 3)..they are wonderful

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

That's a real show-stopper, Andrew. Well done!

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Hi Andrew,
    Truly a magnificent sight.
    It looks like you folk from Kiwi Land, grow Alcantareas as good as you make Sauvignon Blanc. Top of the range!

Thanks for sharing with us, all the best, Nev.

• devo_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

For Alcantarea fans, here is a couple more sp. Not quite in flower yet, but still impressive.

This one we are growing as Alc. nahoumii

{{gwi:440366}}

And this one as Alc. glaziouana

{{gwi:440368}}

{{gwi:440370}}

{{gwi:440373}}

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Andrew - they are all mouth-wateringly delicious! - the plants, your photos, and their setting. Well done!

Your supposed Alc. nahoumii looks like the same furphy oft sold in Oz as nahoumii. IMO, and others', it is really Alc. extensa.

I hope you've got some more advanced alcs coming on to fill the gaps when those magnificent specimens have finished their flowering display?

I agree with HDD that your wonderful photos ought to be submitted to the fcbs photo index. I'd like to see more landscape broms pictured in a garden setting, as well as in their natural habitat, rather than individual specimens on their "Pat Malone" in a shade house.

Cheers,
    Kerry

• frangipani_56
    15 years ago

Absolutely beautiful.I love your garden.The lovely old tree trunk in picture 1 would look superb with neo fireball hanging of it in sections.
    I hope my alcantrea look that good when they do finally flower.
    Cheers Fran

• kxs106
    15 years ago

Wow.. these pics are stunning.

Your garden is looking really great.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions