Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbyabq

A Tillandsia Display idea

debbyabq
9 years ago

This is a baking dish I got at a yard sale. Picture taken in Dec 2014. Dish holds filifolia (or they may have a different name), a complacent ionantha in front, and in back a reddened up and currently (Jan 6) blooming (purple) ionantha of some kind. There are a variety of other plants, including a funkiana and some soft, gray strictas sitting around in little cups and wine glasses and other things I've found to use as displays. The look changes every time I soak the plants and return them to the display. Light is provided by a shop light with a grow light bulb and a cool white bulb. Oh, in the dish, under the tillies, are rocks and a bit of potting soil because in there is also some moss I lifted from my apartment complex's shady, overwatered landscape. I also have some of that same moss growing in a hanging globe meant for tillandsias; the moss likes that better than the tillandsia did. Finally, all these plants will go outside in the spring through the summer in a north-facing porch, like they did in 2014.

Comments (6)

• diane_v_44
    9 years ago

Debby I just came across something in relation to gardening
    Kokedama (mossball) gardening

it is similar to what you are trying to do
    and I have as well been working along these lines in my garden in Florida I have now been looking on facebook at others using this method MIght be of interest to you

• hotdiggetydam
    9 years ago

Nice short term displays or gift idea.

• debbyabq
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Diane! Searching "Kokedama (mossball) gardening" comes up with a lot of hits. I think our local moss, which is low and flat, might have fun being part of such a project. If I were to harvest some now (slip a trowel under it), and I treat it well, it would probably green up quickly. I found some moss near a stream in the mountains north of Santa Fe (~8,000 feet altitude?) in early October. It was dry and just hanging on (stream spray didn't reach it). I brought a bit home, fixed up a wide-mouth jar with rocks and a little dirt, placed the dried out moss there, added water, covered it, and the next morning the plant was so green Ireland would have been jealous. If it continues happy, I can spread it out to Tillandsia dishes as well. I think unusual plants enjoy talking to each other.

• diane_v_44
    9 years ago

Debby that was good info
    What I did yesterday down in South west Florida is go and pull down a good bunch most of the trunk full actually of that hanging moss that hangs off mostly trees. Is grey and whispy I have used it before for plants. More so in lining a hanging basket or some type of liner for something picked up here or there or sometimes on top of a large planter to make it look in my opinion fancier. But what I got yesterday I though I would try in a Kokedama way Making up a soil ball of no soil potting mix mixed with a product I bought yesterday Vermiculite I think it is and maybe some peat moss. I brought a couple of bags of it down from Canada. Large commercial bags of Peat Moss that are sold down in the U.S. so not a problem at the border.Anyway try forming a ball sort of shape and then wrap it in the moss and then I have some neat string type of product that I picked up somewhere a couple of years ago Will wrap the balls in that and tie them up I have some orchids that are struggling after being down here half a year with no care These moss balls might just fix the little darlings up. I just have to get doing the pictures to post Don't know why I keep putting off doing this For sure is a real good sign of old age. and not wanting to adapt to new and better ways in this case.

• debbyabq
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sounds like you gathered Spanish Moss. I have some and despite our dry climate, it seems to be doing okay as I soak it at least once a week at this time of year and mist it daily. If I watered it more, it would probably grow faster and fuller, but then I'd have to figure out where to put it!

There is a moss/ferns subforum on this website:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/crypto/?

You could post Tilly experiences here, moss experiences there, if you want to :) In any event, keep us posted

• diane_v_44
    9 years ago

Sure that is what the moss is called
    I had forgotten
    I have used what I brought home the other day
    Don't think it is what I want really
    Did find Japanese Gardening on Facebook which is for sure interesting
    will look up moss and ferns on garden web Thank you