Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brom_adorer

problems with the Neo database

brom_adorer
14 years ago

Is anyone still having problems with the Neo database on FCBS? I can access any other genera, but if I go to Neoregelias, the whole computer freezes and has to be turned off manually! I have updated windows and explorer but no luck. Its a real pain as I have lots of things to look up.

Any suggestions?

Think I might get the supergeek to come visit!

BA

Comments (18)

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi brom adorer,

Yes I've got the same problem down here and have had for some time now. When it started I couldn't even open the FCBS site.

See this post: Problems with FCBS Posted by: brom-nutter on Sat, Dec 12, 09 at 16:46
    17 follow-ups, last one posted on Wed, Dec 16, 09 at 1:08

The initial problem seems to be fixed, ie. I can now open the site and use everythoing except the Neo data base.

Quite a few of my friends down here have the same problem as well as some in Brisbane and Townsville also, but just with the Neo. data base.

Although I'm not a computer buff, it seems logical to me that it could be a FCBS problem.

If you're reading this Matt, what do you think?

All the best, Nev.

• rickta66
    14 years ago

BA,

It is still playing up for me, you can get around it by selecting photo index on FCBS - then use the link on the right hand side "Neoregelia Photo Index database" or use the link below.

It is a problem/conflict with IE8, mozilla firefox works fine for me, I didn't uninstall the latest IE8 update for fear of messing my system up.

Cheers,

Rick

Here is a link that might be useful: FCBS Neo search

• brom_todd
    14 years ago

No problems at all for me - using firefox, google chrome & safari

• matt15
    14 years ago

No problems here, mind you my PC is like the NASA launch room.

Given so many people are having the same problem it sounds like its a software version issue, most likely linked to older versions of Windows 95, 98 and/or Internet Explorer etc.
    Keep in mind thou many people have PC issues simular to this for many other websites.

BA have you deleted all past IE history including cookies and temporary internet files?

Please feel free to contact me via e-mail matt1515@optusnet.com.au if you want to discuss further.
    The alternative is to take your PC down to your local PC shop for a service and/or upgrade. Yes they can take u for a small ride so if u know somebody who knows alittle about PC's always ask them first.
    I'm forever building/upgrading and repairing PC's for friends and friends of friends.

And Rick.... you really should update IE to version 8. Version 8 will help protect your PC from some nasty malware/spyware/trojens.

Cheers Matt

• pinkbroms
    14 years ago

Hi Guys

I don't have any of that fancy stuff on my computer that you Guys refer to, but I also don't have a problem accessing any of the FCBS Data bases, keeping it simple works for me, no games no nothing on my computer, only Brom. stuff.

Pinkbroms

• rickta66
    14 years ago

Matt,

I'm running Internet Explorer 8, all of my problems started around December - I think it is probably Windows Internet Explorer 8 update KB976325 that is probably giving me the trouble - I went to uninstall it but I got a warning something like "nothing on my PC would probably work ever again if I uninstalled their update" so I chickened out.

I am running XP on an older PC.

Rick

• avane_gw
    14 years ago

I also still cannot access the Neo's on FCBS. I have XP on my PC, IE 8 and also found the problems started around that update in beginning of December. I removed the update, but it re-installed itself the next day. Clearing the cache also does not help. So whenever I use would want to use the Neo databse, I use Safari. Problem with Safari is everytime I go into a page, it reloads the whole page from scratch and thus taking a lot of time and uses up my monthly allocation. If I use the Neo database on FCBS for specific searches though - using IE, it works.

Japie

• paul_t23
    14 years ago

Hi guys,

Still no problems for me to access the database running IE8 on Vista on a relatively recent (2 yr old) machine.

Rick, I installed that same update KB976325 back on 13 December and it caused no problems for me. Whether the update was different for Vista and XP is another question though, or if it was the same update, maybe there is a compatibility issue with XP?

It might be worth downloading Firefox and giving that a go. I did that some time back when I had some other problems with IE and it was pretty easy. Now I use both of them without any problems.

Cheers, Paul

• hotdiggetydam
    14 years ago

I block all updates from Microsoft because it fights with my firewall and virus program. I have no proplems accessing FCBS

• paul_t23
    14 years ago

Hi Rick, sorry, I just re-read your first posting and saw that you HAD installed Firefox. Silly me! Cheers, Paul

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi paul,

I took your advice and tried Firefox but the problem is unchanged.

Bl..dy computers, I think a bullet is called for.

All the best, Nev.

• paul_t23
    14 years ago

Hi Nev,

One of my all-time favourite computer cartoons might help. I had it pinned next to my computer at work many years ago. I wish I still had it!

It was just a single frame, titled "Booting up the computer". Picture: computer with floppy disc drive slot + guy with maniacal expression on face about to go into the slot with a chain saw.

Still such a satisfying thought, even 25 years later.

Cheers, Paul

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

Have you tried incantations, sprinkling a bit of rum on the keyboard and sacrificing a live chicken?

Sorry, that's the best I've got. As I said on the other thread, I keep putting off installing IE8 and so far have had no problems accessing the Neo index or any of the databases. Draw your own conclusions.

• paul_t23
    14 years ago

Hi Lisa,

I think you're onto something there. I was involved in a big computer system implementation twenty years ago up in Indonesia. It was with a large, well-known, progressive multi-national company but they decided to bring in a local witch doctor for the inaugural switch-on. He did some chants and dances and draped the computer installation with chicken guts to drive out the evil spirits. Seriously. Damn good idea too, if you ask me.

Cheers, Paul

• brom_adorer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

HA ha, LOL! Thanks for all the feed back. I'm running XP and all updated (automatic) have automatic cookie cleaner and history eraser, only thing bogging my PC down is photos (of broms)
    I can access the neo database through the search option on FCBS, so although its going to take a bit more time, at least I can get there and get stuff researched.
    I would love to get someone to come and fine tune my PC though. Everytime I find a good nerd, they end up being too hard to get an appointment with after awhile! Too much work for them in this area. Maybe theres an opening here for anyone interested in starting a business!
    BA

• hotdiggetydam
    14 years ago

Get an external hard drive and put all the photo's on that and save yourself a lot of anguish plus if your computer dies you don't loose the photo's.

• rickta66
    14 years ago

I added a bit more RAM to my PC, the Neo database is now working OK for me on FCBS.

My problem may have been memory related.

Cheers,

Rick

• rickta66
    14 years ago

I spoke too soon, it just locked up again on me - I put 2gig of Ram and didn't have too many programs running, so I retract what I said before about it being a memory problem.

I'm on a slowish internet connection which might be part of my problem.

Rick

Sponsored
More Discussions