Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rickta66

Some random pics

rickta66
15 years ago

A few random pics from the garden today.

Preventing droopy leaves on Hohenbergia correia-araujoi - is there nothing that ribbing can't do? - he needs some more light.

{{gwi:441015}}

Unknown Neo - one of my favourites - he will grow a little bigger.

{{gwi:441016}}

Nidularium longiflorum - the flower is on its last legs but has been out for a long time.

{{gwi:441017}}

Neo. Pride of Ipswich

{{gwi:441018}}

Sun hardened Ach. Little Harve

{{gwi:441019}}

{{gwi:441020}}

Aechmea Shining Light

{{gwi:441021}}

{{gwi:441022}}

{{gwi:441023}}

Driftwood

{{gwi:441024}}

3 petaled Kautskyii flower

{{gwi:441025}}

Neo. Kautskyii

{{gwi:441028}}

Neo. Olens Marie

{{gwi:441031}}

Random Bils

{{gwi:441034}}

Aechme Nudicaulis Rubra

{{gwi:441037}}

Cheers,

Rick

Comments (20)

• jaga
    15 years ago

Hi Rick,
    Thanks for pics- love thet aechmea nudicaulis rubra

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Looking good, Rick! Pleased to see that ribbing being put to good alternative use.
    Your epiphytic sculpture with Little Harv is going great guns. I love the colour of L.Harv now!
    All your plants are colourful and thriving - obviously well-loved :)

BTW- Your brilliant Ae. nudicaulis rubra has the cultivar name of Ae. 'Xavante'.

Thanks for the update.

Cheers,
    Kerry

• neomea
    15 years ago

Nice Rick!

Pride of Ipswitch is not a bad looka! I also like your Ae "Xavante" and will have to see if I can get my grubbies on one.

PS OT: What do you Aussies reckon your boys are going to do in the test series starting this morning? Have ya lost faith in Ricky? I still rate him very highly!

• bromaloonie
    15 years ago

Giday Rick,
    Its so nice to see Broms out in the environment and adapting to outside life.
    You have encouraged me to get some more of mine out there in my garden
    I like what you have done and how easy it can be :)

Thanks
    Germaine

• ozvon
    15 years ago

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the pics - all your broms look terrific! The colors are superb. You should be very pleased with yourself :-))

cheers,
    Von

• bromadams
    15 years ago

Very nice collection, but what is ribbing? I don't know that term.

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

See the blue ribbing tied around the Hohenbergia correia-araujoi?

• sunshine_qld
    15 years ago

Rick nice broms but not sure of your Pride of Ipswich. This is mine in sun and it is pink in shade.
    {{gwi:441039}}

• rickta66
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everybody for the replies.

Kerry - thanks for the name Ae. 'Xavante' - you are a true Bromeliad encyclopedia.

Dennis - as unAustralian as it is, I'm not much of a cricket fan, but like most Australians I like Ricky Ponting - the Australian Cricket board have been copping some bad press lately over some of their decisions.

Sunshine - your plant is the true Pride of Ipswich as per the FCBS photo, I have about four differant forms all labelled Pride of Ipswich, I think that might be a legacy from Allan Freeman. P.S all your plants are doing great - the Hannibal Lector I promised you will be rooting shortly.

Rick

• sunshine_qld
    15 years ago

Thanks Rick. Your plants are great too. You have the Pride of Ipswich above from me.

• avane_gw
    15 years ago

Rick, your plants are grown very nice! I also like to grow my plants incorporated in the garden, even if I cannot get that perfect look that shadehouse plants have. Try giving your Hoh c-a a bit more sun, it looks spectacular. Mine gets about 5 hours direct sun around mid-day. I also found the leaves are less floppy when grown in the sun. Here's a picture of mine taken a while ago:

{{gwi:441041}}

Dennis, if you have a bit of patience, my Xavante has 3 small pups at the moment!

Japie

• rickta66
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Japie,

That is good advice, mine used to look like that. I'm battling our sun at the moment - it is cooking plants that don't normally see it and placing others in the shade.

Yours looks great, I do love that colour.

I'll move him out when it cools down a little to acclimatize him.

Thanks,

Rick

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

I've seen a lot of Hoh. correia-araujoi, and the floppy leaves are just its natural growth habit. The pups start out upright like Japie's, but as they mature they eventually develop that flop, whether they're in sun or shade. They do look better in brighter light, but you're right not to want to make a sudden move into the baking sun now, Rick.

On the other hand, I'm not sure that binding it up is really good for the plant either. It seems like it would choke the new growth and keep the new leaves from hardening off properly. In the end, that might actually make it worse. Best to just learn to love it as it is. ;-)

• gonzer_gw
    15 years ago

Nice stuff Rick, very nice. Don't ya worry about your Hoey, mine resembles the ears of that character Eeyore from 'Winnie the Pooh'!

• rickta66
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lisa and Gonzer,

Spurned on by your support I have removed the training Bra and the leaves have remained upright after one day.

It is probably a little early to claim a victory, but if they flop I'll live with it.

Rick

• debbysunshine
    15 years ago

Your blooms are gorgeous! Do you ever sell your little pups ?
    debbysunshine@hotmail.com

• rickta66
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Debby,

I live a little far away in Australia, you should be able to get plants reasonably priced if there is a Bromeliad Society in your area.

Rick

• bromaloonie
    15 years ago

Hey Rick!
    can ya please tell me how much light you aechmea shinning light gets.Is it morning sun or dappled all day or afternoon.
    I now have a few 'shining lights' and want to put them out in the garden. I just dont know where they will look as good as yours...lol

• rickta66
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Germaine,

I have mine growing in filtered shade, a little midday sun is starting to break through as you can see by the burning on the leaf. I think it would like morning sun or dappled light, I would try and avoid midday sun and early afternoon sunlight.

Good to see that you are breaking a few plants out, all your perfect plants were starting to give me a complex.

Rick

• bromaloonie
    15 years ago

hahahaaaaaaaaaa...*wink*

Thanks for that Rick..will now go on the hunt and decide where i will plonk me first Shinning lights

Sponsored
Industry Leading Countertop company in Loudoun County, VA
More Discussions