Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike4284m

Aechmea manzanaresiana

mike4284m
15 years ago

Is anybody growing this one? I saw one in someone's collection last year and was blown away. I'm a sucker for a nice looking species plant.

Anyway, I had an opportunity to get one but I'm not quite sure what I got is actually Ae. manzanaresiana. In fact, if you told me it was a Billbergia I wouldn't doubt it.

So what do you guys/gals think? Is it just me or are these completely different? How variable is Ae. manzanaresiana?

This is the one I have:

{{gwi:441090}}

{{gwi:441092}}

And this is the one owned by a local society member:

{{gwi:441093}}

Here is a link that might be useful: FCBS: Ae. manzanaresiana

Comments (7)

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Mike, I'm not growing A. manzanaresiana, but just based on your photos and others I've looked at, I don't think your plant fits. If the FCBS photos are any indication, it is a pretty variable species alright, but none of the pictures show silver bands, and the form appears to be completely different. If you read the Uncle Derek article, the first key says "leaf blades concolorous". And none of the species in that group has the kind of tubular, few-leaved rosette that your plant has, with "knuckles", no less! That's not a common feature, and it narrows down the possibilities a lot. My guess would be A. flavorosea, but I wouldn't rule out a form of A. nudicaulis either.

• stone_jaguar
    15 years ago

Mike:

I have grown this sp. for about almost a decade and have plants from two good commercial sources. I agree with Lisa that the offsets look rather "odd", both interms of color and morphology. The flowering plant also looks rather like a tessmannii, but this may be purely a function of soft culture. There is some variation between the indviduals I have in terms of bract color, but the leaves on my plants from both sources are a uniform gray. Coincidentally, I am growing out some hybrids between this sp. and flavorosea and, at this stage (4-6"/10-15 cm), there general aspect is intermediate between parents.

Good luck,

J

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Mike at this point of growth your plant could also be
    Ae dealbata. When it blooms will be the test unless the source you got it from has bloomed it

• mike4284m
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for in the inputs. I think I obviously won't know for sure until we see a bloom. The tubular shape is what is really throwing me off. I can't seem to find any great matches just browsing through FCBS.

The nursery is in Ecuador and I'm pretty sure that they only grow native plants. I searched FCBS for Ae. from Ecuador and nothing jumped out at me. Their website has a picture of what they are calling Ae. manzanaresiana, but it only shows the bloom. Who knows if that is even what I received.

Hopefully it will bloom for me sometime. Watch this space!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ecuagenera: Ae. manzanaresiana

• sdandy
    15 years ago

Looking at their website, your plant looks just like the nudicaulis they offer.

• mike4284m
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You're right! I'll have to email them and see what's up.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County