Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elizabethk1

Tillandsia groupings

I would like to create globes of related tillandsias to suspend from my ceiling (in front of my windows). I am thinking of something that looks kind of like a ball of mistletoe - all plant, no visible vessel. Here's a link to a photo of what I am thinking: file:///C:/Users/user/Pictures/tillandsia-ionantha-beautiful.htm Does anyone know of a site where I can get ideas, instructions and/or materials to put something like this together? I guess I could buy a styrofoam ball and insert each plant until the entire ball is covered. I'm just wondering if there is a better way. I'm not sure how watering plants in a styrofoam ball would work out anyway.. Thanks!

Comments (11)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

That file is on your computer and we can't see it. If you click on the "Browse" button in the "Post a Follow-up" below and go to that pix you can post it here.

tj

• AntiqueWheels
    10 years ago

It sounds like your describing what is commonly referred to as a Tillandsia "Specimen" where a plant is suspended usually by a thin wire and allowed to grow over many years. Certain species will form a "Ball" over time like this Bergeri Specimen.

While I suppose you could make it from individual plants it would likely cost more and would certainly require a great deal more effort.

I recommend you go to the Greenhouse where you buy your Tillandsia from ask them to order you a "Specimen" on there next shipment. While Retail Greenhouses would rarely stock them there Wholesale suppliers may have some available that they sell to the collector market.

Good Luck, let us know how you do.

• AntiqueWheels
    10 years ago

Here is another photo of a "Specimen" grouping this made up of Streptocarpa.

• AntiqueWheels
    10 years ago

You can also purchase mail order from a place such as this. They have this spectacular Bergeri specimen listed available for only $37.00!

Here is a link that might be useful: Air Plants 4 U

• hotdiggetydam
    10 years ago

I tend to shy away from companies that dont have a live person to ask questions.....................

• AntiqueWheels
    10 years ago

I can certainly understand your concern about not being able to get someone on the phone. I had not dealt with this company for many many years but did have a positive experience.

I was doing some digging to find you the contact info and came across some very negative reviews many of them in more recent years. The bulk of them for very poor customer service. Unfortunately it seems the owner has become quite bitter over the years.

In light of there change in attitude I would recommend against ordering from them. I did find another company that has some specimens listed available with good reviews and full contact info.

They have these Ionantha "Balls" for $30.00 but if you order through Amazon you can get it for $26.00 and you have the security of ordering through Amazon.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Air Plant Shop

• caligrown
    10 years ago

I would give plant oddity's a try. They sell there specimen size Tillandsia clumps for next to nothing. I have ordered off them twice. Both times there service was exceptional, and there plants were amazing. Well worth a inquiry. They also sell the orbs you are talking about.

Regards, Patrick

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Odditys

• User
    10 years ago

Those T. ionantha "balls" are worth maybe...$5 most.

• Lars
    10 years ago

I buy tillandsias from Rainforest Flora partly because they 15 minutes away and partly because they have a very large inventory and decent prices. They also wholesale to a lot of nurseries around here, including HD. If you are in the neighborhood, you should give them a visit. They also do mail order, I think.

• cahac
    10 years ago

I got this clump of Variabilis on Ebay last week for less than $15.00 shipped, about 14 plants in it.
    cliff

• hotdiggetydam
    10 years ago

LOL Gonz..true statement

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions