Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
devo_2006

Yes, its Fiesta time again...♫...ô...♫

devo_2006
14 years ago

Auckland turned on brilliant weather for the first day of our weekend Fiesta 2010. Wow, I can't believe it's been 12 mths since the last show, how time flies.

The show plants were just spectacular, & everyone who came along was treated to an amazing display of top quality plants. Plus they had the chance to buy as many plants as they wanted ;-) Some people just came along to look, others to buy a plant or two, but many were buying plants by the box load!

The tables of show plants are set out in the middle of the venue, while around the outside are the sellers.

{{gwi:441702}}

{{gwi:441703}}

OK, here are the main prize winners.

Best Neoregelia, and Champion of Show. Yippee..a neo won!!! The last few years its been Tillandsia or Vriesea winning the main prize, so I'm glad a neo finally won, and its zonated as well ;-)

Carcharodon Tiger.

{{gwi:441704}}

Best Vriesea

Vriesea Vistarella

{{gwi:441705}}

Best Aechmea

Aechmea Fosters Freckles

{{gwi:441706}}

Best Tillandsia

Tillandsia tectorum

{{gwi:441707}}

Best Billbergia

Billbergia Beadleman

{{gwi:441708}}

And just a couple more for now.

A couple of Dyckia

{{gwi:441709}}

A nice clone of Puntate Red X HL

{{gwi:441710}}

{{gwi:441711}}

Just a few foliage Vriesea for sale...

{{gwi:441712}}

I've now got to go & sort out a few more plants for day 2 of the Fiesta, so I'll post more pics as I get them organized.

Cheers, Andrew.

Comments (20)

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Very nice Andrew ,great piccies ,what makes Vr. Vistarella ? looks like a Vr ,fosteriana ' Vista ' f2 its very nice ,i'll have one please ,just put it in the post ,
    Jack

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Andrew,

It's great to see your show pic's again and the sight of all those foliage vrieseas really makes my mouth water, especially Vriesea Vistarella.

Thanks for sharing with us and please keep the pic's coming, they're much appreciated.

All the best, Nev.

• paul_t23
    14 years ago

Hi Andrew,

Great show, great plants and great pics. Seeing I'm half way between Nev and Jack, how about I send over a pre-paid post-pack for 3 Vistarellas and I'll divide them up when they get here. I wish!!

Thanks for sharing them. Cheers, Paul

• mike4284m
    14 years ago

A very busy show! Thanks for sharing the pics. Did you happen to snap a photo of that white foliage Vr. that the gentleman is taking a shot of in the second photo?

• devo_2006
    Original Author
    14 years ago

After a busy day yesterday, with good numbers of people through the doors, today was very quiet. I think the fact that Auckland turned on another hot sunny day resulted in people heading to the beaches to cool off.

But as it was quiet, I was able to get a lot more photos, so will aim to get these sorted out over the next few days. Here are a few more for now.

This is the main display, set up to catch the attention of people as they enter the show. All the sellers bring in a few plants & then a very talented lady coordinates the display.

{{gwi:441714}}

{{gwi:441716}}

{{gwi:441717}}

Jack, the cross of Vrisea Vistarella is Vista x Marcella. Vistarella is the name given to a grex of plants out of this cross, & many are turning out to be excellent plants. Jack, Nev, & Paul, IÂm sure you guys could get together & contact Peter of Totara Waters to put in an order ;-)
    Heres another Vistarella pic.

{{gwi:441718}}

Hey Mike, I did get a few pics of that Vriesea.
    Its Vr. Cherry Ice, & it received a great deal of attention over the weekend. The colour is amazing, but I also like the wide leaves, they give it that real solid look.

{{gwi:441719}}

• brom_adorer
    14 years ago

Mmmmm, I like that purple one directly behind Vr. 'Cherry Ice' simply gorgeous!
    Are most of the foliage vrieseas on display New Zealand bred?
    Maybe I'll try and do a road trip to NZ for a look next year. Give me some notice for the next one and I'll visit some rellies at the same time.
    Whats the chance of some seeds from some of the lovlier foliage vrieseas, and is it possible to get them into Australia?
    Thanks for the eye candy Devo. Lovely to look at!
    BA

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Hi Andrew ,i thought it was a Vista bred plant ,just lovely ,so is Cherry Ice , i have allways tried to get the broad leaves and like in the Tasman series ,you get it from using the Vr gigantea in the mix ( not Nova ) and you also then get round leaf tips , great plants ,wish it was not so difficult to get plants in to Oz , cheers , Jack

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Andrew

You said "Jack, Nev, & Paul, IÂm sure you guys could get together & contact Peter of Totara Waters to put in an order".

I'm sure we could, but the question is, would the plants survive the "gas chambers" at AQS.

Probably better if Peter could breed some with wings and they could fly over, and bypass AQS and come straight to my place.

Thanks for the great pic's, keep 'em coming.

All the best, Nev.

• chrisn82
    14 years ago

I like those two purple ones right above the white one in the display. Wonder what they are... That seems a big show with big attendence. Wish we got that here at our shows in TX.

• hotdiggetydam
    14 years ago

LOL Chris don't hold your breath. Its purely commercial here now. Total lack of creativity

• chrisn82
    14 years ago

You r'ight on that one HDD. But also theres few people with such nice plants that are also willing to sell them too. You know which people I talking about.

• devo_2006
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Fiesta will be on about the same time next year, so will look forward to seeing you then BA! We did have a few Aussies drop in to this show, and it would be great to have more come over the ditch for 2011.
    Most of the foliage VrieseaÂs are NZ bred. In fact the show table with that Vriesea you like is to show off NZ hybrid broms. Vriesea won all the prizes in this section, & they really are fantastic plants.

{{gwi:441720}}

Here are some of the other NZ hybrids that were displayed on this table.

Neo Carnival, nice nice hybrid from NZ's well known hybridiser, Gerry Stansfield.

{{gwi:441721}}

A neo Tigrina hybrid that shows a hint of centre flush.

{{gwi:441722}}

Billbergia hybrid, this one has recently been named Billbergia Brazen.

{{gwi:441724}}

And I put two of my own neo hybrids into this section; A little Tiger Cub hybrid to the left, & a Gorrion hybrid. The Tiger Cub hybrid is about 3.5 yrs from seed, it has produced 5 pups, 1 of which is about to flower, while the Gorrion hybrid is 5 yrs from seed, & no hint of pups or flowering. I kinda like this one as it has unusual colouring, & even tho itÂs a slow grower itÂs developing a nice rosette so will be interest to see how it matures.

{{gwi:441726}}

I wish there was an easier way we could exchange plants Nev, may be we have to breed them with resistance to the gas ?! There are many plants IÂd love to get hold of from AussieÂitÂd be nice if we could just do a simple swap.

DidnÂt get the names of those two purple Vriesea from the display Chris, IÂm sure they would be Andrew Maloy hybridsÂunfortunately J&A were away, I normally rely on them to get all the Vriesea pics & infoÂsince IÂm so neo focused ;-) But I did make a point of getting picÂs of all the Vriesea on show, so may set up a different post for these.

• chrisn82
    14 years ago

Andrew, you have utterly and completely failed me! Just kiddin! No worries, those Vrieseas wouldnt be making it to this part of the world named or not. Still nice however! By a chance would you happen to know who Mr Purple is behind Cherry Ice?

Thanks!

C

• kerry_t_australia
    14 years ago

Thanks Andrew. I always enjoy your annual show-and-tell of the N.Z.Fiesta.
    It's interesting to see the distinctive Neo. carcharodon 'Tiger' as grand champion, with it still being a highly-desirable plant over the ditch - compared to other global parts where it is more easily available (and therefore a lot cheaper!). Congratulations on your own Neo hybrids. I agree your Gorrion hybrid is showing great potential. And gee, that's a quick result for your spiffy Tiger Cub hybrid!

That's an interesting notion re breeding gas-resistant broms. I wonder how one could do that? Calling all mad scientists to give it a shot!

And now for those gooooorgeous Maloy hybrids. Yes please - bring on the Vriesea post! J&A will be proud of you, in their absence.

K :)

• devo_2006
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Chris, that Mr Purple is another Andrew Maloy hybrid, but I didnÂt get the nameÂsorry mateÂI did say I got all the picÂs, but didnÂt get all the names ;-) Now if it had been a neo, I would have got its name, its parents & its DOB!

Here are a few more picÂs. Some of the other interesting show plants.

Guzmania Penny Wise, it won the prize for best Guzmania.

{{gwi:441728}}
    A really nice Billbergia clump.
    {{gwi:441730}}

{{gwi:441732}}

Quesnelia Tim Plowman

{{gwi:441734}}

Neophytum

{{gwi:441735}}

Canistrum Vania Leme

{{gwi:441736}}

Dyckia hybrid

{{gwi:441737}}

Cryptanthus beucheri

{{gwi:441738}}

Nidularium campos-portoi

{{gwi:441739}}

A couple of quirky Tillandsia arrangements.

{{gwi:441740}}

{{gwi:441741}}

Some nice dark clones from a batch of Neo Hannibal Lector F2. Name; TBA, Parents; Hannibal Lector, DOB; April Â07 ;-D

{{gwi:441742}}

And Kerry, just for you, hereÂs an entree of Kiwi Vriesea.

{{gwi:441743}}

• kerry_t_australia
    14 years ago

Beautiful Vriesea montage! Thanks Andrew - I'm hungry for the main meal, and dream of dessert.

I really like that dear little Canistrum 'Vania Leme'. I have not seen it, or the species auratum, in Australia. Anyone?

I'm also impressed with those nice dark Neo 'Hannibal Lector' F2s, maybe even more than the original hybrid.

All great show broms, Andrew. Congratulations to all involved.

K

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

Very nice, Andrew. Much as a I love Neos, I can't take my eyes off of Cherry Ice! It would be very hard to improve on that.

Do you know the name of the coral-colored stoloniferous Bill? Also what was the other parent in the N. tigrina hybrid? Just curious.

• avane_gw
    14 years ago

Very nice, Andrew - like usual, you have taken us on a good tour of the event! Thanks.

Yes, Cherry Ice is magnificent, but I would also not decline a Vistarella if it comes my way!

Nice to see that Tiger won the prize! But I see it is also very shy with its stripes, just like mine. So I really think it is a climate thing as our climates are very much the same, I think, and my Tigers keep om loosing their stripes. Hannibal Lector and its hybrids do not have that problem here and I see yours are also doing fine. Those dark HL F2's, did you grow them? The one on the right has very much the colour and pattern of its grandmother, and being so much bigger, looks very nice!

And that Neo Carnival of Gerry S, looks very much different to the one on FCBS - I actually prefer the one at the show. Almost a Justin's Song type of look, is it also a large plant?

Japie

• devo_2006
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Lisa, that stoloniferous Billbergia was a real eye catcher at the event, hard to do it justice with a photo. It was tagged as Bill. Nutans var. schimperiana x Stoloniferous Red. And the NZ neo hybrid is Flaming Lovely x Tigrina (not tigrina) It was created by a talented lady who is doing quite a bit of neo hybridising, espec with some of the smaller neosÂIÂm sure weÂll see some of her selected hybrids registered sometime soon. What do you think of it?

Hey Japie, yes neo Carnival is a large plant, taking after its large parent. I guess the FCBS pic was of the original seedling...the show plant was really nice with strong bright colouration. Those dark HL F2Âs are mine, they were selected from a batch of F2Âs where most of the batch were HL look a likes. Does anyone out there in GW land know of any other HL F2Âs as dark as these? IÂd just like to knowÂor see some picÂsÂto get an idea if mine are unique as I may register the best clone if indeed it is different to whatÂs already out there.

Chris, found out that the purple Vriesea you asked about is Vr. Nova Pink Beauty, a Maloy hybrid. And I actually have the same plantÂbut mine has not coloured up nearly well as the show plantÂmust give mine some more light.

Still working on the Vr main course Kerry, but I do have a petit treat for dessertÂ

• malleeaustralia
    14 years ago

I tend to say this a lot on this forum - but WOW!!!
    The only broms I have ever actually seen in the flesh are the ones I own (and a cple very basic ones at my local nursery) so it is mind boggling to even imagine such a huge display - especially one so beautiful and diverse.

As has been said, some amazing looking Vr. there - every time I view this forum I am further amazed at just how beautiful and diverse the world of broms are. Thanks for sharing Andrew!!

Sponsored
Construction Marketing, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars116 Reviews
Franklin County's Interior & Exterior Remodeling Experts
More Discussions