Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conifer_nut

Neo ID please.

Conifer-nut
11 years ago

Hi Friends,

I have a lot of broms but I'm no expert when it comes to identifying them. I went a bit overboard when I first discovered them about 5 years ago and now I have hundreds of them, many I wouldn't even dream of buying now
Anyway, I've had this one Neo which always catches my eye with a beautiful lavender centre and variegated leaves. It's just over 40cm wide ( 16"). I think I bought it from a backyard sale and it came with the name Neo. Lavender Lovely. I have checked out this name but my plant doesn't come up. Here are some photos of mother in flower and one of her pups. The centre colour is actually a mauve/purple tone, not pink as it appears in the photo. Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments (6)

• Conifer-nut
    Original Author
    11 years ago

photo 2 of mother

• Conifer-nut
    Original Author
    11 years ago

pup

• sunshine_qld
    11 years ago

Not all plants are registered. There are so many plants that look like yours. Keep the name it came with.
    It is often easier to identify them when they are in flower.

• Conifer-nut
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have many plants which didn't come with names, or they have been lost or the labels are faded & impossible to read. I don't really care as it's not important, but I thought it would be nice to know the name of this one, which just takes my fancy.
    Lavender Lovely sounds very appropriate for this plant so I think that's a good idea to just keep it. Thanks.

• hotdiggetydam
    11 years ago

Your plant is not Lavender lovely for sure. It is a Chester Skotak hybrid. Best guess would be Neo Inkwell.

• splinter1804
    11 years ago

Hi everyone,
    Conifer-nut - I have to agree (Hi HDD) that it does have the look of some of the unnamed Chester Skotak hybrids getting around Australia, but as for Neo 'Inkwell' it's hard to say as even the pic's on the BCR differ, with one being variegated and the other being albo-marginated and it's difficult to ID a plant from a pic anyway as they vary so much.

Like HDD suggests, keep the name that it came with but I would add (unreg) after the name to signify that it's unregistered.

I personally think that any plant carrying a name that can't be definitely confirmed or is not shown on the BCR should also have (unreg.) added to the name. There are thousands of plants now getting around with "pet names" and "nursery man's names" that it's become totally confusing.

I blame this on the big nurseries than import these plants in their thousands and then release them to the big stores like "Bunnings", "Big W" , "K-Mart" etc. all with the same generic name tag telling us all it's a "Bromeliad". Thousands of people then buy these unnamed plants and often give them a "pet name" with the result you have the same plant in circulation with thousands of different names, how confusing is that?

Sorry about that little outburst, I'll get down off the "soap box " now.

As for your many plants with no names, I would identify them with numbers (just for your own convenience) so you can more easily keep track of them; but please don't complicate things by being tempted to give them your own "pet names".

Whatever your plant in the pic's is, I like it also, especially the nice wide leaves, so if it ever wants a holiday, remember I don't live too far away.

All the best, Nev.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA
More Discussions