Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniesam_gw

Billbergia Babies

anniesam
15 years ago

Hi Everyone, Thanks Richard for posting my Billbergia Babies, I have finally gotten into the brom house and snapped some photos. Im very happy with these as they are starting to show some great colours and patterns.

This is my first attempt at Billbergias and its been a great learning experience.{{gwi:442636}}

{{gwi:442637}}

{{gwi:442637}}

{{gwi:442638}}

Some have showed great colour from a very small stage. I have not used any fetilizer at all , as i was told Billbergias do not like it. I have done a number of different crosses, some for Flowering Billbergias but most for the colourful foliage.

Crosses include Aussie Rose x Fantasia, (Bob Tail x Gem)x Medowie Gift- showing the most beautiful reds into soft pinks, Kahiba x Muriel Waterman, Halleluja x(Domingos Martins x Amoena viridis), Windii x Leptopodia Hybrid, Windii x Domingos martins, Pyramidalis x Euphemia and a number of selfings- Bellisima, Mandas Othello, just to name a couple.

Growth has been very fast with some just over 30cm tall and in 140ml pots. I guess at a rough count there would be about 1500 pots(and some still in seedling trays) Biggest problem now is !!! Im out of room,

Tamera.

Comments (7)

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Hi Tamera - Goodonya!

It's great to see someone else hooked on growing broms from seed in Aus, I don't feel on the outer any more.

Nice looking little babies, too many for you to handle. Do you sell or swap them?

Keep the pic's coming please.

All the best, Nev.

• anniesam
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Nev, Thanks for the kind words, I know ive got to get rid of a few of them( Thats why Richard has some-he has more room than me) I will be selling/ swapping some of them in the near future, just letting them grow up a bit more.
    Yes growing from seed is full of surprises and very rewarding. Compared to Vrieseas, Billbergias are super quick, I just wish i had more room. Will keep the pics coming as more surprises arrive!!!
    Thanks Tamera.

• neomea
    15 years ago

Hi Tamera

Nice going!

Isnt it great, Bills being so quick? I have some 7 month old babies and they already showing nice colour and are a good 10-12cm tall already...the Vriesia seed I sowed at around the same time, well lets just say that they small! I reckon the plant in your last pic is the pick for me at this stage...

Please keep us updated!

Dennis

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

The last one caught my eye too, Tamera. What is the cross? I can't quite make out the tag.

Holding off on the fertilizer does let the colors show through at an earlier stage, but at some point you should probably give them a light feeding or they will come to a complete standstill and be very yellow.

• anniesam
    Original Author
    15 years ago

HI Everyone, thanks for the kind words about my babies.
    Yes the last one is a ripper!!!! Bil. euphemia Georgia x pyramidalis, the striped pattern is on the back and front of the leaves- just hope it stays there. I really love the classic vase shape of pyramidalis so i will be using it in the future.
    Lisa thank you for the tip on using some fertilizer. The plants i have potted into the larger pots are jumping away from the smaller ones, i use a very good quality Cymbidium Orchid potting mix for all my Broms and the Bills really love it. But i have noticed how well they respond to a fresh mix, so to keep the smaller ones moving i will give them a low nitrogen feed. As at the moment i dont have the room to pot them all into bigger pots. One side of my brom house is devoted to Billbergia seedlings and the other side is full of Vriesea seedlings- its getting rather crowded in there.
    Thanks again.
    Tamera

• paul_t23
    15 years ago

Hi Tamera, just great to see all these new plants coming through.

Lots of interesting variation, and that last one (with the red blotches) looks really different and really attractive - may be a new classic on the way!

Its going to be really exciting to see how they develop. Cheers, Paul

• hummer_118
    15 years ago

Wow Tamera some very nice results indeed I have just started buying some Bills myself. I was never interested in them until recently, I guess because of the short lived flowers. I finally see the beauty in them and now I'm hooked.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert
More Discussions