Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
devo_2006

Bromeliad Fiesta

devo_2006
16 years ago

{{gwi:442751}}

Our annual, end of Summer "Fiesta" was a great success. The 'show' plants were absolutely stunnning, and seeing sale plants going out by the box load indicated Bromeliad addication rampant down under.

A little eye candy to greet people as they arrived.

{{gwi:442754}}

Champion of the Show.

The aptly named, Vriesea 'Summer Dream'

{{gwi:442757}}

{{gwi:442759}}

Neoregelia De Rolf, awarded prize for the best Neo.

{{gwi:442761}}

I'll post a few more photos of the show plants once I've caught up on some well overdue sleep. I know J & A also have a number of photo's, so between us, over the next couple of days, we should be able to give you a taste of Bromeliad Fiesta NZ style.

Comments (32)

• devo_2006
    Original Author
    16 years ago

IÂve now sorted out most of my photoÂs, and after loading them up on the computer, I realise that of the 100 or so photos I took, only a few were of Vriesea, which surprised me, as there were many lovely Vriesea on displayÂbut almost all of my photos consisted of NeoÂs, reflecting my obvious bias towards the genus.

So hereÂs a selection of my favorites from the show benches. For many of these plants, this was the first time they,ve been out on public display.

First, a couple of variegated Vriesea, that definitely did catch my eye.

Variegated Vriesea hieroglyphica

{{gwi:442763}}

Variegated Vriesea hybrid

{{gwi:442766}}

And now the Neo's...

Neoregelia Screaming Tiger

{{gwi:442767}}

Neoregelia ÂTiger (Not the registered carcharodon Tiger)

{{gwi:442770}}

Neoregelia Red Tiger

{{gwi:442771}}

Neoregelia Tunisia

{{gwi:442772}}

Neoregelia Hannibal Lector F2

{{gwi:442773}}

Neoregelia punctatissima (Rubra) x Hannibal Lector

{{gwi:442775}}

Neoregelia Tiger hybrid

{{gwi:442776}}

Neoregelia carcharodon Rainbow

{{gwi:442777}}

Neoregelia carcharodon Macho

{{gwi:442778}}

• mike4284m
    16 years ago

Those Neos. are great! Thanks for taking the photos. It looks like we have similar tastes.

Anyone know if the Red Tiger shown here is the same as the Neo. carcharodon (rubra) that Michael has listed? Is the one above a cross?

• avane_gw
    16 years ago

Thanks for showing, Andrew. That Vr hieroglyphica looks amazing, but my personal favourite would be the carcharodon Rainbow!! I also love the Macho.

Mike, carch Rubra does not have any zonation. My plant from Michael is still green after potted up with some food a little while ago.

• hanwc
    16 years ago

I'm wondering if the Neo carcharodon Red Tiger has any link to the carcharodon Rubra or carcharodon Tiger. Below are my Rubra and Tiger

Rubra
    {{gwi:442779}}

Tiger
    {{gwi:442780}}

• hotdiggetydam
    16 years ago

"Red Tiger" is named cultivar (cv. of tigrina X 'Red Of Rio') and 'carcharodon rubra' refers to the form

• mike4284m
    16 years ago

HDD - I saw the 'Red Tiger' on FCBS but thought it looked nothing like the one above.

To me this one almost looks like it could be another plant from the same grex as 'Tunisia' ('Hannnibal Lector' x punctatissma) only with wider leaves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Another Neo. 'Hannibal Lector' x punctatissma

• hotdiggetydam
    16 years ago

"Groves red tiger' I think the plant was discussed in this forum some where I believe the cross is hannibal lector X fosters pink tips

• bromeliaddict
    16 years ago

Mike,
    The plant now known as 'Groves Red Tiger' was briefly in commerce as 'Red Tiger'. It was recognized quite early on that another plant had been registered with that name. While I think most growers are aware of the name change, this makes it clear that some confusion still exists. It demonstrates the importance of going through the process of registering unique new hybrids.
    Devo,
    That's a very nice specimen and very good photo. I would encourage you to submit it to the fcbs website. It would be a superior reference photo to the one which is currently there.

• hotdiggetydam
    16 years ago

I agree Paul..the 'Groves red tiger' picture isn't a good likeness of the plant

• LisaCLV
    16 years ago

LOL, Andrew, I can certainly see what you like! Me too, BTW. Those two Vrieseas wouldn't be safe around me. ;-)

Okay, so where do we stand on the Red Tiger discussion now? That's the one that caught my eye too. It's certainly not tigrina x Red of Rio, but it doesn't look like my (Groves) HL x Red Tips either. Here's that one again, just for comparison:

{{gwi:442782}}

So is this now called Groves Red Tiger? Note the comparative lack of spines on this one compared to the one in Andrew's photo, and also the more open form and green background leaf color. That one at the show looks like it has more Tiger in it, just by the form and spininess.

And no, if you cross carch. Tiger with carch. Rubra you won't get anything that looks like that. I've tried it, and so has at least one other person that I know of. Maybe Tiger x Tunisia or something like that?

• hotdiggetydam
    16 years ago

YES Groves red tiger HL X pink tips

• jaga
    16 years ago

Great photos Andrew. Yes those neos caught our eyes too! Mind you Hanwc's tiger is hard to beat as well.
    It was quite difficult to take good photos in the hall being a really stormy day. There was a fantastic selection of superb vrieseas. Below is a sample of what was there:
    Vr Spring Fever
    {{gwi:442785}}
    Vr Kiwi Frosty
    {{gwi:442788}}
    Vr Kiwi Vulcan - I fear the photo doesn't really do this justice - this one really glows
    {{gwi:442791}}
    A very lovely Vr Summer Ice
    {{gwi:442794}}
    Vr Autumn Hybrid
    {{gwi:442797}}
    All the above are Andrew Malloys hybrids. Here were a few of their sale plants that we took home:
    Vr Fire Comet (parentage of Nove & Phillipo Coburggi)
    {{gwi:442800}}
    Vr Nova Pink Beauty
    {{gwi:442802}}
    Vr Nova Grace
    {{gwi:442805}}
    For the first time we had to restrict ourselevs but it was hard- We need more space!!

• mike4284m
    16 years ago

So is this 'Grove's Red Tiger' or 'Metis'? Check out our discussion from before.

{{gwi:442808}}

What ever the Fiesta plant is I want one!

• hotdiggetydam
    16 years ago

Diffenatly NOT 'metis'

• kerry_t_australia
    16 years ago

Great photos on this thread - thanks to all contributors.

I love those carcharodon varieties and hybrids, as well as the HL hybrids.

BUT!!!! Andrew, those variegated vrieseas, especially hieroglyphica - SPECTACULAR!! and so exciting to see. I assume some dedicated and lucky person has obtained them in a batch of seedlings?

AND!!!! Thanks, J+A, for showing us more mouth-watering Maloy hybrids. That V. Fire Comet and Kiwi Vulcan are close to bumping off V. Pacific Blush and V. Dark Knight on my "numero uno" wish list!

Also, congratulations to John and Agatha for naming/registering Maloy's V. Ming Dawn. I can't wait to see a photo of it. It's in the cultivar database, but no photo on fcbs site yet. (Blardy Bromagic!)

Cheers,
    Kerry

• User
    16 years ago

Boy, I gotta get me a N. "Tiger". Those plants are beautiful. Thanks for sharing them Andrew.

• hanwc
    16 years ago

Those beautiful Vriesea shown by John are really tempting everytime when I see them. Unfortunately I'm still unable to get access to those new Vriesea hybrid

• mike4284m
    16 years ago

Sorry HDD, here's the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous Discussion

• jaga
    16 years ago

Kerry,
    All the vrieseas shown so far belong to the Malloys (except the ones we bought from them) We think the fire comet has tremendous potential too, and should be ok in the garden- it went quick anyway!
    Here is a couple of pics of some of the plants the Malloys brought in to show (we were following them & offering to help carry the varigated ones but Rhonda was wise to us!!)
    {{gwi:442810}}

{{gwi:442812}}
    And bragging rights- even with all those fantastic vrieseas, we still managed to come in second in the NZ hybrid section, beaten only by the summer dream which came in first!! UNBELIEVABLE!!
    Here is our award winning chap the Vr Snowman
    {{gwi:442814}}
    Will post the Ming Dawn once we sort out the photobucket upload for it.

• devo_2006
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Glad you got those Vriesea photos J & A...! You did very well with your winning 'Snowman'....AND congratulations on your First Prize Agatha for..."Original Bromeliad Artwork"...!!!

Now back to the Neo's....LOL

Here are a couple more photos of that 'Red Tiger'.

{{gwi:442816}}

{{gwi:442818}}

It was labeled as Red Tiger, (Ornato x Tiger) by Groves.

• hotdiggetydam
    16 years ago

I just got a cute Vr. margarita

• winterlager
    16 years ago

I guess I'm weird, but I just don't care much for those little Vrieseas. I'd much rather have a Chantinii.

{{gwi:442820}}

• LisaCLV
    16 years ago

Ornato x Tiger? Okay, NOW we're getting somewhere. I had to look up Ornato, and I can't believe I've never seen that one before! Gotta get one. It's an old Hummel hybrid of unknown parentage (as all of his are), but it must have either ampullacea or zonata in it (see below). That cross definitely makes more sense, so let's scratch HL x Red Tips off the list as just another red herring.

I got a Vr. Margarita at the Extravaganza, HDD, and it's cute alright, but those ones of Maloy's are extra special! Jaga, can you possibly find out what the story is on those? Did they just pop up spontaneously as seedlings or were they bred with knowledge and intention? Serious brom lust here.....

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:442749}}

• bromeliaddict
    16 years ago

Lisa,
    Brian Weber has several selections from the original 'Ornato' x 'Tiger' grex. Brian thought that the one now referred to as 'Groves Red Tiger' was the best of the bunch, although a couple of the others I think have some merit as well.
    Thanks to everyone for sharing all the wonderful pictures on this thread! More plants to go on the "wanted" list!
    Paul

• jaga
    16 years ago

Lisa,

yes its just 1 from many thousands they grew from seed. There are other vriesea with part and faint varigation. They also have Alcanteria. I guess its just a numbers game, the more seedling you grow the more chance you have of the odd one mutating.

• LisaCLV
    16 years ago

Jaga: And I suppose those are the lone individuals, not propagated yet?

*sigh*

• solo78
    15 years ago

WOW!!! Those Vriesea foliage hybrids are a total knockout! And to think they are lurking about just across the water in NZ!

Does anyone know if these can these be purchased?

• rickta66
    15 years ago

Solo,

If you type "Maloy's hybrids" with Australia checked on Google it brings up a few suppliers in Australia so at least some must have made it over.

Rick

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

I am getting Kiwi Cream, Dusk and Sunset in a couple weeks

• frangipani_56
    15 years ago

Hi hotdiggetydam.
    I got these 3 early this year but the interesting thing is my kiwi cream threw 3 tiny pups when the plant was only a relatively small seedling itself. These are the only 3 we can get in Australia but I hear on the grapevine there are more coming.Heres hoping!
    Cheers Fran

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Fran you have pictures? Mine are all small pups and not seedlings. I cant wait to see how the color will vary in each clone

• frangipani_56
    15 years ago

Hi hotdiggerty
    I am afraid posting pictures is another task for Kerry to teach me.I know it has been explained in this forum but i am very much a visual person and need to be shown.
    My Kiwis are tissue cultured and hence they are seedlings.I
    cant see a lot of difference in the Dusk and Sunset but as they get older they become more different.The Cream is different of course and I am looking forward to them maturing.They are approx 30cmsx30cms at present.
    Kerry has some.She may have pictures.
    Cheers Fran

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions