Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
udo69

Aechmea Blood Stain

udo69
14 years ago

Yesterday I posted some pics. in Thai bromeliad forum. Ae.Freckles, Ae.Fosterâs Freckles and Ae.Bittersweet they are looked alike and weâre usually confused and misidentified them. They have some similar characters, dark spots on the leaves. One of our member told me about Aechmea Blood Stain in a book name bromeliads Next Generation by Shane Zaghini, page 47. Obviously this plant looks more like Ae.Freckles. Iâve searched for the information about this plant in FCBS and found nothing. In my opinion I think Blood Stain and Freckles are the same. Sometimes plants from the different parts have different names. Can anyone here help me to distinguish them? Does anyone know Ae.Blood Stain?

Ae.Freckles, Dark spots and Streaks. Very nice.

{{gwi:442842}}

Ae.Fosterâs Freckles. Look more lanky than Freckles.

{{gwi:442843}}

Ae.Bittersweet. Another spot plant but darker foliages.

{{gwi:442844}}

Ae.Bittersweet. Another one from AU by this name. Confusing. This plant might be Aechmea Blood Stain, I guess.

{{gwi:442845}}

Cheers

Yong

Comments (4)

• blue_heeler
    14 years ago

Below are pictures of my Freckles (1st photo) and Bloodstain (2nd photo). There doesn't seem to be a great deal of difference. Bloodstain's spots are a bit lighter than Freckles.
    {{gwi:442846}}
    {{gwi:442847}}

• hotdiggetydam
    14 years ago

Blue your plant looks like Fosters Freckles and probally what was called blood stains

• kerry_t_australia
    14 years ago

Yong and Blue Heeler - I agree with HDD that Ae. Freckles and Foster's Freckles are probably the same plant, with quoted parentage of Freckles as organensis doubtful. It also goes by Spreckled(!) in Hawaii, as Lisa will concur. What has been sold as Bloodstain in Australia has also been sold as Bittersweet here. I believe those two are also the same plant, but different to Foster's Freckles.
    I must say that Yong's Bittersweet has more prominent, darker spots/splashes/stains/freckles/spreckles than what we grow in Australia.

There is much confusion with these orlandiana hybrids. Some of us discussed this in a subsection of an earlier thread, if you can wade through it. See link below.

K :)

Here is a link that might be useful: show and tell with a bit of freckling

• udo69
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Blue, HDD and Kerry.

Thank for the information.

In These 4 plants, only No.2 've flowered. The inflorescences show the same charactor as Foster's Freckles in FCBS. Others still not flower yet. They all are grown under the same condition and have different looks. All are from different sources.

The first plant I got from Michael lebeled as Freckles. This plant is the one I like the most. It has dark spots and streaks contrast to green foliages. That is very nice.

The second I got from local market here in Thailand as unnamed Aechmea. When it flowered, I found that it inflorescence was very closed to Foster's Freckles In FCBS. I name it as Foster's Freckles.

The third I also got from Michael as Bittersweet. It has bigger spots but no streak on broader and brownish leaves. This one is the second plant I favor.

The forth I got from AU as Bittersweet but this plant look diiferent form Bitter sweet I have. It has less spots and hazt streaks on light greenish leaves.

Someone in Thai forum told me about Blood stain in Zaghini's book. It's very similar to Foster's Freckles I have. So I think Bloodstain in AU is Foster Freckles in USA. Is it true?

Could anyone here help me to clearify this confusion. ;-)

Cheers
    yong

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH
More Discussions