Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flora_uk

Bargain Bromeliad

flora_uk
15 years ago

I bought a Bromeliad from my local florist's bargain tray a few weeks ago. It is about a foot high and well grown and cost me 50 pence (ca 73 cents) and I think it is an Aechmaea 'del Mar' from my Google efforts. It was being thrown out because the bloom was going over. I've never had a Bromeliad except Bilbergia nutans, which grows itself. How should I care for this one? Particularly I need advice regarding watering, light and temperature bearing in mind that it is obviously a houseplant here. Many thanks

Flora

Comments (6)

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

I really doubt a florist would have Del Mar. Not enough light. Do you have a photo?

• blue_heeler
    15 years ago

Yes please a photo would be good. If it is Del Mar you've got yourself a real bargain. A flowering plant sells for $100 in Australia. Especially as it is such a good pupper. Mine has produced 5 pups. I have attached a photo of my plant in flower for you to compare.
    {{gwi:443214}}

• flora_uk
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well it certainly looks similar to yours blue heeler. The flower spike was fading so I cut it off but the flowers were bright blue and arranged just the same. The longest leaves are about 12 ins long and slightly serrated. It has 4 pups. Is there another simiar brom it could be? The florist where I got it is very expensive and carries unusual stock but occasionally sells off faded plants just to get rid of them. I really need care instructions because I know nothing about Bromeliads. Will the dying tips be a watering, temperature or light issue do you think? Remember it has to be a house plant in my climate. Unfortunately I live in an old house which is pretty gloomy and has no windowsills to speak of. The only light place I have is also cold (unheated glass porch). But if you tell me what it needs I can try to contrive something.

pi{{gwi:443215}}

• blue_heeler
    15 years ago

Bromeliads are tropical plants and like a warm spot with bright light. Aechmas in particular dislike the cold. Not sure how you are going to find a suitable spot.

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Hi Flora - From what you say, it looks like you got yourself a real bargain and I would certainly be keeping my eye open for any more in that florist shop.

I know it's off topic, but as an old carpenter I can't help admiring the beautiful old, wide skirting boards in your house. Ah! memories.

All the best, Nev.

• flora_uk
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Splinter - what might surprise you is that the skirting boards in the hall are actually made of stone. As is the floor. They are unpainted so that is the natural colour. Stone skirtings are not usual in England but I live in an early nineteenth century house in a city famous for its stone. Can you guess where it is? (In all the other rooms the skirtings are wood - beautiful but a devil to dust, as are the doorcases, the architraves, the banisters and all the other mouldings. Even the windows have routed glazing bars.I love it but I hate the work.)

Sponsored
More Discussions