Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solo78

Vriesea 'Gultz' parentage

solo78
14 years ago

Hi all,

Does anyone know the parentage of Vriesea 'Gultz'? It's a fairly common foliage hybrid in Queensland collections. Tough as nails and a very good pupper. Pretty good colour, shape and tesselations too.

My guess is that it's a mix of fosteriana, platynema and definitely heiroglyphica given it's inflorescence is branched.

It doesn't appear on FCBS, so does anyone on here know?

Comments (3)

• kerry_t_australia
    14 years ago

Hi Solo.
    A while ago I looked into the history of this lovely Vriesea, and here are my findings.
    It is not registered, but has been in Australia since the early 80s - unsubstantiated parentage. It was believed to have platynema in it, but this is questioned by many. I agree hieroglyphica is a likely parent.
    It has become known as Vriesea 'Gulz' (no "t"), because it was imported by Olive Trevor from a German nursery owned by Hans Gulz. It has only been called 'Gulz' (pronounced "goolts") in the last few years. Olive used to call it Vriesea platynema hybrid from Germany. Olive also questions the platynema parentage.
    The Buchanan family also imported what I believe to be the same plant into Australia in the early 80s as Vriesea hieroglyphica x amazonica. The cited pollen parent is also questionable. Some believe that it might be a bigeneric, as Vriesea amazonica is an old name for what the taxonomists have reclassified as Werauhia gigantea. I sit on the fence for that theory of it being a bigeneric.
    I have grown this plant for several years, and purchased both the Buchanan and Trevor imports. I am convinced they are the same plant - many others agree, some do not.

The Kiwis grow a very similar Vriesea in N.Z., which is also likely to be the same imported plant. They call it Vriesea 'Intermedia Rubra'.

This plant has been discussed before on this forum, including photos. To see that thread, type in Vriesea 'Gulz' in the search engine at bottom of opening page.

I hope this helps, but no definitive answer without proven parentage.

K

• kerry_t_australia
    14 years ago

Oops! Sorry Solo. Just reread my previous post and must declare my mistake in what the Buchanans called this plant - and many still do. It should be Vriesea 'Red Chestnut' x amazonica, NOT hieroglyphica x amazonica.

K

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Well i will add my 10 cents worth , I used to think there where 2 almost identical clones ,but i have to concede it appears more a cultural thing , No doubt it contains Fosteriana , but cannot accept any input of Platynema ,the pattern is wrong for that type of cross ,so is the spike ,nevertheless its a handsome plant that has vigour ,and pups freely ,but is a tad shy to flower ,i have thought a lot about what the parentage could be but it ecapes me except the influence of Fosteriana ,certainly the other parent had narrow leaves and was capable of enhancing the pink colour from the Fosteriana influence ,may yet work it out one day , i also doubt that Amazonica was involved ,as the pollen bearing anthers are aranged in typical Vr fashion ,not a hint of Werhauhia in the arangement ,other than that i dont know .
    jack

Sponsored
More Discussions