Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rickta66

No dirt Bert

rickta66
14 years ago

Hello all,

I think Kerry posted a while ago about how well Aechmea Bert grows on trees, I had one spare and thought I would give it a go. I'm impressed and I think I'll put a few more up.

Rick

{{gwi:443317}}

{{gwi:443318}}

Comments (17)

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Rick,

Looks good. I was toying with the idea about doing the same thing myself with a Bert and an Ensign.

Now you've really convinced me to get off my bum and do it.

Thanks for the pic's, all the best, Nev.

• avane_gw
    14 years ago

Rick, is that Bert growing in a fair amount of sun? The colour is fantastic! I mounted my plant in a tree the moment I got it about 3 years ago and it grew very well but has not got any of that red yours has got. I must add, that although my Bert is healthy and huge, it has only given me 1 pup, which I left attached to the plant. The original flowered last year and the pup already gave me a pup. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow.

Japie

• bromadams
    14 years ago

That is an awesome color on that Bert. I've been growing Berts in orchid baskets. This is a second generation plant that is getting a lot of sun.

{{gwi:443319}}

• rickta66
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nev,

I don't think you will be dissapointed.

Japie,

The plant was mature and flowering when I mounted it, it gets sun from @ 0900 - 1700. You can see its pup beside it which hasn't coloured up yet, both were mounted together.

Nick,

Your Bert looks good.

Cheers,

Rick

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Bert loves growing in trees and almost full sun , must take a piccie and post it when it stops teeming rain
    Jack

• sid_marx
    14 years ago

Hey, great colour on that Bert Rick. I moved an Orlandiana from a pot in the ground into a vertical rock wall last year and its really thriving. Some broms only seem to be capable of reaching their full potential out of the pot.

• paul_t23
    14 years ago

Hi Rick, what a beauty! Like Nev, I think you've forced me finally into action. How long has your one been up there? Cheers, Paul

• rickta66
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jack - I'd love to see your photo.

Thanks Sid.

Paul - it has been there for a couple of months.

Correction to my comment about how much sun it gets, it gets sun from @ 0900 - 1700 with a one hour break in the middle from a tree that I forgot about.

Cheers,

Rick

• kerry_t_australia
    14 years ago

Hi all.

I love the colour of the (almost) full-sun grown Bert of Rick's, and also Nick's hung Bert.
    Bert certainly does suit epiphytic culture, as does its parents Ae. orlandiana and fosteriana.
    I agree with Sid that some broms do only reach their potential out of the pot. Any pot-grown brom which seems to want to grow out of its mix, with the subsequent pups' stolons going every which way out of the pot, would probably thrive grown epiphytically - IF conditions of its natural habitat can be replicated.

Here are a few photos of Bert and orlandiana growing epiphytically in my garden.

Bert growing on the branch of a Bauhinia tree, in semi-shade.
    {{gwi:443320}}

Bert growing on the branch of a Callistemon, in very bright light.
    {{gwi:443322}}

Ae. orlandiana growing in a shaded pine tree.
    {{gwi:443324}}

Ae. orlandiana growing in full sun, on a branch of Bauhinia tree. This is the same form of orlandiana as shown in the previous photo. What a difference light makes!
    {{gwi:443325}}

Ae. orlandiana (cv. Rainbow?) growing on branch of a Cotoneaster in very bright light.
    {{gwi:443327}}

BTW Rick, I'm giving a presentation on this very topic of epiphytic brom culture at the April BSQ meeting.

K :)

• sdandy
    14 years ago

That's some nice eye candy to wake up to, Kerry! My plants in that complex can't quite take full sun here in Southern California (inland-ish)...they get great color, but too many little burns or blemishes. I'll try to dig out some pictures later...
    -andy

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Hi Rick ,here's a piccie of my ' Bert " it sits in this White Cedar and gets only what nature provides ,i keep hacking bits of as people ask for it ,sun light? yep plenty ,

{{gwi:443329}}

{{gwi:443330}}

• rickta66
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kerry,

Nice looking plants as usual, I'll defineatly try and make the April meeting.
    I hope you bring my Bromeliad adviser Shaine along.

Jack,

Your Bert looks beaut, it is amazing how many Broms you have in your yard.

Cheers,

Rick

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Yes Rick i am amazed whats crammed in there ,bit of a problem ,no room left but its about to change ,

• bob61
    14 years ago

Rick your plant looks like a plant I got from Dennis Cathcart at Tropiflora nursery years ago. He had remade the cross and got some really nice plants out of it. We just call it a red Bert. Mine is mounted also and is doing great.
    Bob

• malleeaustralia
    14 years ago

Drool Drool!

Rick - yr Bert looks fantastic! In comparison mine is a very poor relation but have been inspired by this post to get it out of its pot and see if I cant get it looking a bit happier. Its great to see all the different pics on FCBS but is a lot more enjoyable seeing the different plants here so as to see them in different contexts. Everything else in the background of yr pics is looking great too.

Kerry - great collection of Aech's there. Ive got a cple of Orlandiana's so far (which I love) but definetely have to get a Rainbow into the collection. I remember a post a while ago with pple's Orlandiana's but I'd love to see any other Aech which show similar foliage traits so if you have any more of these types hint hint!

Jack - great looking plants as usual! If your cleaning up and making room in the yard don't be surprised to see a few folks loitering around looking for anything your getting rid of lol.

thanks for sharing folks
    Kristan

• rickta66
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info Bob.

Krisan, I wouldn't rush out and mount your Bert if you only have one plant - I think they grow slower and produce less pups when grown epiphytically. Your call on what you are after.

Rick

• bromaholic
    14 years ago

Hey Rick...love the dirtless Bert; the only way to grow em I reckon. Yep I expect to be with Kerry at the Brisbane meet in April, so I shall book you in for a consultation!

Sponsored
More Discussions