I need a couple of IDS please.

{{gwi:443361}}

{{gwi:443363}}

{{gwi:443364}}

Thanks

Comments (7)

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

A Billbergia and two Vrieseas, but beyond that...... ?

First one could be either a form of B. amoena or a hybrid of it, not sure but the flower has an amoena-y look.

The Vrieseas are probably hybrids. At first I thought the middle one might be a species like rodigasiana or michaelii, but it doesn't quite match, and looking at the leaves, especially the heavy texture and purplish underside, makes me think it's more likely a saundersii hybrid of some sort.

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Hi sunshine,
    The first one's a Billbergia but I don't know which one.
    The second one looks like a Vriesea Saundersii that's had too much light and the last one could be one of the many commercially produced Vriesea hybrids.

Sorry I can't be of more help, all the best, Nev.

• sunshine_qld
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks and the 2nd one could be saundersii as it is in sun most of the day.

• neomea
    15 years ago

One of my favorite Vriesias is saundersii!

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

It's not pure saundersii. Vr. saundersii has very grey foliage with purple spots, and the rachis is yellow, not red. A saundersii HYBRID, however, particularly one with rodigasiana, would make perfect sense.

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Sunshine - I agree with Lisa that your second brom could be either Vr. rodigasiana or a hybrid with Vr. rodigasiana and saundersii as parents. On the fcbs photo index, a couple of examples of Vr. rodigasiana have yellow bracts (more like yours), while other examples show red bracts. Yours has not started flowering yet, so maybe those bracts will colour more red as it develops?
    Here are a couple of photos of mine for you to compare.

Vriesea rodigasiana (with red bracts, and post flowering)
    {{gwi:443365}}

Vriesea saundersii - see the different foliage
    {{gwi:443366}}

I agree with Nev that your third brom looks like one of the many commercially mass-produced vriesea hybrids - possibly with carinata in its parentage?

I don't know what billbergia you have there - sorry.

Cheers,
    Kerry

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Hi everyone,

Well there you go, I'm still learning from the girls.

Thanks Lisa, I didn't know the red bit was called the rachis, I always just called it the flower spike, I guess a hangover from my orchid growing days.

Never to old to learn, all the best, Nev.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath
More Discussions