I need a couple of IDS please.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID please

A Billbergia and two Vrieseas, but beyond that...... ?

First one could be either a form of B. amoena or a hybrid of it, not sure but the flower has an amoena-y look.

The Vrieseas are probably hybrids. At first I thought the middle one might be a species like rodigasiana or michaelii, but it doesn't quite match, and looking at the leaves, especially the heavy texture and purplish underside, makes me think it's more likely a saundersii hybrid of some sort.

o

Hi sunshine,
The first one's a Billbergia but I don't know which one.
The second one looks like a Vriesea Saundersii that's had too much light and the last one could be one of the many commercially produced Vriesea hybrids.

Sorry I can't be of more help, all the best, Nev.

o

Thanks and the 2nd one could be saundersii as it is in sun most of the day.

o

One of my favorite Vriesias is saundersii!

o

It's not pure saundersii. Vr. saundersii has very grey foliage with purple spots, and the rachis is yellow, not red. A saundersii HYBRID, however, particularly one with rodigasiana, would make perfect sense.

o

Sunshine - I agree with Lisa that your second brom could be either Vr. rodigasiana or a hybrid with Vr. rodigasiana and saundersii as parents. On the fcbs photo index, a couple of examples of Vr. rodigasiana have yellow bracts (more like yours), while other examples show red bracts. Yours has not started flowering yet, so maybe those bracts will colour more red as it develops?
Here are a couple of photos of mine for you to compare.

Vriesea rodigasiana (with red bracts, and post flowering)
Photobucket

Vriesea saundersii - see the different foliage
Photobucket

I agree with Nev that your third brom looks like one of the many commercially mass-produced vriesea hybrids - possibly with carinata in its parentage?

I don't know what billbergia you have there - sorry.

Cheers,
Kerry

o

Hi everyone,

Well there you go, I'm still learning from the girls.

Thanks Lisa, I didn't know the red bit was called the rachis, I always just called it the flower spike, I guess a hangover from my orchid growing days.

Never to old to learn, all the best, Nev.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here