Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
turtlewalker_gw

What plant do you want most, but have been unable to find?

turtlewalker
14 years ago

I thought this might be a fun thing to do. Lets hear what your looking for.

I have been looking for:

Orthophytum supthutii

Cryptanthus leopoldo-horstii

Encholirium reflexum

Comments (60)

• neomea
    14 years ago

Eh Gonz-What absolute beauts!!!

• brom_adorer
    14 years ago

Id like that Vriesea 'Galaxy' please!
    Also Guzmania musaica, but worry it might be a bit sensitive. It gets down to 5 degrees celcius here. Is that too cold?
    I am going to get vriesea 'Megan' one of these days, but as they are becoming more available, I'll wait for the price to come down. I'm with you Lisa, those Kiwi Vrieseas are gorgeous!
    BA

• neomea
    14 years ago

BA

I have G.musaica and 5c is no problem as long as the plants are in a protected spot (under canopy)....biggest problem with G.mus is rotting, your mix will need to be very well drained or you must mount 'em!

Cheers

Dennis

• noid.guest
    14 years ago

I want Neo ÂColorsupwellyeararoundanddoesnotgrowstrappyinEurope.' One that tolerates winters outside my balcony, one that tolerates low light levels when inside, and still looks as gorgeous as anybody else Neo, from Australia & NZ, through South Africa, via the US incl. Hawaii. I am eager to see the outcome of Tomas's efforts.

Well, I was unaware of so many nice plants mentioned here. E.g. turtelwalkerÂs Orthophytum supthutii, LisaÂs OrthoÂs, Ae. 'Aurora' etc are all new to me.

As a newbie, I am not complaining. There are still a number of none rare plants to acquire from Michael. May be we should do this again in a few months :-). At this point I could rather rephrase the question ÂWhat seed could you send me to save on acquisition costs. But do not wanna be cheap here.

• bromadams
    14 years ago

I got 4 pups from my Ae paniculigera. It's a fairly big plant and I just want to keep one, no room for more. I gave one pup away and will give or trade away the other two. It's not hard to find in these parts. I know several people who are growing it.

I still haven't given up on getting hybrid seeds from it.

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

Nick, if you do manage to get either self seeds or any extra from that cross with P. alatisepala, drop me a line, would you?

When I was at the WBC in SF 10 years ago I saw someone standing in the sales line with a variegated Guz. musaica! I hadn't seen that while I was shopping around or I would have snapped it up! I do have the regular musaica, and it is not the easiest plant to grow. I was told many years ago that it prefers to be epiphytic rather than grown in a pot, but it must be in a warm humid environment for that. Still, I never had much problem keeping it going in a pot until I moved it into the newer shadehouse and the leaves started turning yellow. I'm not sure what that's about. It is a bit brighter in there than the dark corner it was in before, but it looks more like some kind of chemical toxicity to me. I may try moving it back to the old spot and see what happens.

I wouldn't think Till. somnians would be so hard to find, Japie. The thing grows like a weed! I don't have it anymore (I forget why) but I got it from John Arden, so Bird Rock should have it too. Did you try asking Tropiflora?

bromaholic, I have to ask-- what is Neo carcharodon variegata? I've never heard of a variegated carch species, only hybrids.

• stone_jaguar
    14 years ago

Greetings:

Guzmania musaica is a very variable plant with a number of very distinct varieties/ecotypes and infl. colors ranging from pure white through to scarlet. I have a number of forms growing here and find that they are invariably best grown as epiphytes...preferably with the long rhizome stapled to a tree.

{{gwi:443579}}

{{gwi:443581}}

I find that the concolorous forms from upper elevations are much slower than the vividly cross-banded plants that are abundant everywhere in the wet lowlands of Panama and eastern CRica. They are often found growing on the ground (particularly in cloud forest), but look best when they have colonized upright trunks.

{{gwi:443583}}

My wish list is short and dominated by some fairly rare but showy-flowered Pitcairnia and Navia spp.

J

• tomas
    14 years ago

Hi Noid,

I can understand you, but at this point maybe your most wanted would be some kind of greenhouse? As far as your low light levels concerns, are you in contact with Westerman? His plants are very well coloured and he lives far more north. Once he sent me a Vr. Nova that was beautifuly more white than green, it turned the ordinary patern for me, I asked what was his secret, but he did not answered prefering to send me another one, well, it turned more green than white again for me.

I am excited this year because I may have discovered a way how to import plants from Michael's, so many dreams could become true. Some may remember, no direct import from outside EU possible for me.

Tomas

• avane_gw
    14 years ago

I thought I missed something very important: Neo silvomantana. And thanks for those references to try and get a T somnians, Lisa, but I just heard a bird whistling that my search might be over soon!

Japie

• bromadams
    14 years ago

Lisa, I'm quite certain that paniculigera doesn't self. But, how about some O. 'Starlights' x Ae. 'Delmar' seeds? That had a pretty high germination rate and I still have a few seeds left. I also did O. 'Starlights' x H. edmundoi and only got two seeds to germinate but they look a bit weak. I sowed these seeds in December so they are still pretty small.

• brom_adorer
    14 years ago

Lisa, see the link for variegated Charch (Silver Shark). Its a bit out of my league! he he
    Thanks for all the info on Guz. musaica. I'd still love to have a go, and seeing those pics in the trees, supplied by Stone Jaguar, has spurred me on even more. What a pity I don't live in the same country as some of you. I know I will have it eventually, I just have to source it.
    Another I want is Aechmea fasciata variegated, not albo marginated. They do come up on ebay now and then, but I never seem to be able to secure one, at least, not at my price limit.
    BA

Here is a link that might be useful: variegated Carch.

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Well what would i like ? Vr, pastuchoffiana Vr,ororiensis , Vr ,(now a Werauhia ) sintenissii ,and a Vr,bituminosa that will keep its black fingernails when a adult plant ,there's a few others but i wont be greedy ,and a good clone of Tillandsias Lindenii ,Bismarckii and Andreeta , and that will do me fine ,Jack

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

O. 'Starlights' x Ae. 'Delmar'? Umm... that just sounds weird, Nick. I'd be curious to see how they turn out, but not enough to actually grow them. My interest in A. paniculigera is primarily in its potential as a cut flower. Of course that would depend on how regularly it blooms. I'm always looking for larger broms that produce a reliable yearly crop of blooms that have a shelf life of more than a few days and a color scheme that is different from the Gravisia alliance. I'm not going to want to cut something that only gives me one inflorescence every 5 or 10 years, though.

Thanks for the link, BA. I hadn't seen that Neo before. Reading the description, though, it does appear to be a hybrid, just one with a lot of carcharodon blood in it. It's just a *little bit* out of my price range (cough cough), and not zonated enough to suit me, so I think I'll pass. If it were a bit more striated, I have a feeling that someone I know would be foaming at the mouth right about now. ;-)

• bromaholic
    14 years ago

Hi Lisa...I was thinking of Neo carcharodon Tiger variegated and also of the Silver Shark in the link that BA posted.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hey BA check this out...

• neomea
    14 years ago

Nice pics of G.musaica SJ, the form I have has the light coloured flower (like your first pic) but the leaves are purple on the undersides and have a fair amount of purple on the upper surface-growing conditions of another form?

BA-thats a nice looking plant....but at R3000 here I will have to wait for Japie to buy it and then trade him half my house! :-)

• brom_adorer
    14 years ago

ha ha you guys! You would have seen those variegated Alcants that Pedro posted awhile back? They went for over $3000 here! Whew. Made me break out in a sweat!
    Thanks for that link bromaholic, but I don't find the variegation on that plant to be even enough to attract my bid, and having seen some nice ones, I know they're out there. I know a bloke who has them, but will not sell me one because Ebay gets him good prices! Ahh, the evils of money!
    I'm not familiar with alot of the plants on everyones wish lists, but I just might have to write them all down and go look them up. Always learning around here!
    BA

• avane_gw
    14 years ago

Dennis, you will have to wait a looooong time!

Yes, Lisa, more striation would be nice, but I think my David & Sherlette looks very much the same, maybe even better - and has more striation as well! And I might have a spare one soon, Dennis.

Japie

• neomea
    14 years ago

Ja true Japie!

A D&S would be awesome-I will have a C-A albo marg for you soon too...

BTW-How is your Neo Bingito coming Japie-its just such a nice plant that people want one every time they visit...All, if you havent gotten your hands on Bingito you will have to add to your wishlist!

Cheers

Dennis

• hotdiggetydam
    14 years ago

There is a natural charodon variegata

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

Well, let's see it, HDD.

The only variegated Tigers I know about are hybrids. Same with the so-called "variegated Hannibal Lectors". They all start out with carolinae but then get crossed to HL, Norman Bates, Tiger, etc. until they look like variegated versions of those. I agree there have been some super nice results from those crosses, but let's not add to the name confusion by assuming they are species. If anyone has a wild-collected variegate, I'd like to see it.

• frangipani_56
    14 years ago

I would love to find a Wittrockia Leopardinum and Superba.
    Also any carcharodens that I dont have, and their crosses.
    I have become very interested in the Cryptanthus genus lately and would love the queen of them all,Lisa Vinzant.I do know that is a long way off though.(if ever)
    Cheers Fran

• bromadams
    14 years ago

I have superba and cyathiformis. Could be the way I'm growing them but I think cyathiformis has much better foliage.

• paul_t23
    14 years ago

Too many choices, so it has taken me a few days to pare down a list:

Aechmea ampla (thanks Japie)
    Some of Jack's 'Aussie Beauty' Vrieseas
    Vrieseas 'Tasman Candyman' and 'Tasman Cherry Snow'
    Any Neo. carcharodons that I don't have
    Any variegated Alcantareas at all.

Ha ha ha ha .......

Dream on Paul

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Oh there's one more i would like .it was at Gulz's nursery years ago = Vr,hieroglyphica 'Madam Moribi ' the albomarginata form , wonder where it went when they closed their nursery down ? now there was a stunning looking plant ,anyone in Germany know where it went ?
    Jack

• pinkbroms
    14 years ago

Hi Guys

I only ever saw pictures of that one Jack, in AB Graffs book Exotica in my library, what a magnificent looking plant, I have admired that one since the late 70's, it was in Melbourne many years ago I believe, but long gone, the variegation grew out of all the variegated hiero. seedlings I had, bummer.

Pinkbroms

• chrisn82
    14 years ago

Crypt leopoldo-horstii
    Dyckia hebdingii
    Ortho. burle-marxii v. Seabrae
    Ortho. helenaceae
    Ortho. ameonum
    Ortho. humile
    Ortho. mello-baretoi

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Hi Ross ,yep i had a few Hiero seedlings years ago that had a few white lines when small ,but yes they all grew out ,and yes the Hiero Madam Morobi is stunning , never hear of it anymore ,probably died out in cultivation ,
    Jack

• stephania
    14 years ago

Hi all, I 'm back (^_-)" after being offline for year.

Well, I and most of my plants do fine.

For me, I would like to have Pitcairnia (Pepinia) leopoldii and most of Navia spp.

Cryptanthus latifolia is also a holy grail for me.

I do have a clump of Crypt leopoldo-horstii in my collection.

I got the plant from Dr Larry of Cryptanthus Society years ago.

They do grown so well here but not bloomed yet.

• User
    14 years ago

Hey Chanin, good to hear from you!
    On 2nd thought, if they'd grow here, Navia tentaculata would make a nice stocking stuffer. Olivia-Esteves book "Bromeliads' (the big heavy one) has in situ photos of it that are amazing.

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Chanin,

It's really great to see you're back with us again.

You, your knowledge, friendship and your amazing pic's which you so freely shared with us all in the past have been greatly missed on this forum and I look forward to more postings from you in the future.

Glad you're back, all the best, Nev.

• udo69
    14 years ago

Hi all,

I'm back.

Plants we want the most are so different because we are interested in differnt parts and depend on what part we like.

I personally like neoregelias and some aechmeas. Plants I like the most are within this group, N.gigas and N.silvomontana.

Now my friend introduces me to the world of xeric broms. My interest also changed. When I enter Dyckiabrazil by Consatntino, my life is enlighted by this plants. I would like to have D.delicata D.pectinata and original clone of D.fosteriana.

What plant do i want most, but have been unable to find are
    N.gigas and N.silvomontana
    D.delicata D.pectinata and original clone of D.fosteriana

Cheers
    Yong

• neomea
    14 years ago

Welcome Back Chanin!!!

• sid_marx
    14 years ago

I would sell y first born for a Neo 'Midas Touch'.

...well maybe # 2.

• devo_2006
    14 years ago

Hey Sid, I may be able to help you out with something similar to MT...and don't worry, I wont ask for your first born, I've already got a few of my own ;-)

Send me a email, & we can sort something out.
    Cheers, Andrew.

• sid_marx
    14 years ago

Thanks Andrew, I've dropped you a line.

• avane_gw
    14 years ago

Thanks for posting this thread Turtlewalker. The Faerie Godmother listened to what I had to say, and smiled gently upon me!

{{gwi:443585}}

{{gwi:443586}}

Japie

• User
    14 years ago

Nice seashells ya got there Japie.

• mark83
    14 years ago

I have been in search of dyckia goehringii and dyckia hebdingii.

• sid_marx
    14 years ago

Thanks to Andrew's generosity my wish has been fulfilled and I have a couple of plants that promise the midas touch... now I must retreat to my alchemist's lab to experiment on them.

Great thread this - I hope you are all as lucky as I have been.

• bromadams
    14 years ago

Sid, how many kids do you have now?

• bluecowno1
    14 years ago

It seems I am not the only one addict to Dyckia. :) However, does anyone know where I can get some nice Dyckia?

• chrisn82
    14 years ago

Mark, shoot me an email.

• mark83
    14 years ago

Chrisn82, sent an e-mail to your hotmail account.

• sid_marx
    14 years ago

Hi Bromadams, I got to keep my kid, however if my experiments are successful I'll turn over a pup or two to Andrew. It's a super deal :-)

• CalvinSA
    9 years ago

make a list of bromeliads i want could be very long lol.But would like.
    Billbergia Domingos Martins
    Neo Wilsoniana
    Aech red Ribbons
    neo bodacious
    Aech brassicoides
    neo snow tiger
    Aech Laurun

• hotdiggetydam
    9 years ago

You might want to start a new thread on this and check with Michael's Bromeliads on your list.

• rpwalton
    9 years ago

Billbergia 'Domingos Martins' was on the top of my unobtainable list until recently...yes!
    Then Billbergia magnifica... and now yes! on that one also.
    So I'll have to ponder what's next on the list...

• turtlewalker34205
    9 years ago

I did this thread 4 year ago and I can't believe someone found it. At that time I wanted Orthophytum supthutii ( it's now a Orthophytum supthutii) and now have it. I also wanted a Cryptanthus leopoldo-horstii and have few now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cryptanthus leopoldo-horstii and Orthophytum supthutii

• hotdiggetydam
    9 years ago

Ae. Lauren is another fasciata and snow tiger is an Australian hybrid(via Chester). Bodacious is a small lil plant that is on Michaels master list and several of the others. Domingos is hard to find because it is a great parent for creating new hybrids.

• naoh123
    9 years ago

Great thread, thanks for starting this. For me it's Pitcairnia feliciana. To be frank I'm not crazy about its look, but it's the one bromeliad that escaped North/Central/South America and put down roots in Africa (with a little help from migratory birds). I imagine getting a hold of one is next to impossible because of the recent outbreak, but who knows, maybe there are some established specimens elsewhere.

{{gwi:443569}}

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor
More Discussions