Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19765985

questionable photos on FCBS

User
15 years ago

Checking the "what's new" and came across the photo of T. 'Maria Teresa' with obvious color manipulation. Granted, the photo was taken a highly regarded expert (Ariza-julia) but how does that picture help anyone? Facto, it makes the 'ol eyeballs hurt! What checks and balances are in place upon photo submission? I myself had a photo submitted after 2 years which, at the time, was mistakenly ID'd by the previous owner. Attempts to have the photo pulled and placed under the now appropriate species name have failed. Can anyone shed some insight?

Comments (9)

• bromadams
    15 years ago

My understanding is the Michael does whatever he thinks is best and is accountable to no one.

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Which photo do you speak of Gonz that needs moving?
    bromadams your understanding seems to be very limited in some areas.

• bromadams
    15 years ago

If you go to the bsi.org site, Archival Journals, (membership required) and look at the picture that Ken scanned it sure looks better.

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Ae. seneca this one surprised me since most of Dennis Cathcart's are good quality

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

There seem to be two issues here, photo quality and correct ID. I've submitted photos that, while not great initially, managed to somehow come out looking much worse on FCBS. I don't know how much photo correction Michael does other than resizing, but I can only assume his monitor shows things differently than mine. I don't want to get into it with him since it's such a big job he's doing, but he did say that he's always happy to replace them with better photos if he gets them, so that may be the best solution.

As to the photo of T. Maria Teresa, that was scanned out of an old (1983) issue of the Journal. It doesn't say who did the scanning, but it seems like that's where the main problem lies. It was apparently then manipulated in attempt to compensate for the dull colors of either the original photo or the scan. Again, that could have been done either by the submitter or the webmaster, but whovever did it, I agree it's a big mess and not much use for ID purposes. I think Uncle D. may be the one who has been scanning and posting a number of old Journal and book photos in attempt to fill in the gaps and have a pictorial record of every species and cultivar ever grown on the photo index. Some are helpful but many are not, especially the ones that are just poorly-reproduced line drawings or photos of dried herbarium specimens. They're not likley to be removed, though, unless someone can submit a better photo.

I don't know who you take it up with if the ID is wrong. There are dozens on there that give me fits! That's not the webmaster's fault, it's not his job to verify the name. It's not really the registrar's job to be chief taxonomist either, although Derek made it part of his job to try to straighten some of this kind of thing out. Perhaps our new registrar will have something to say on the subject.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry hd, the photo of mine in question is T. friesii which I believe to be T. cochabambae. Derek and I are at odds over this in a good natured way.

• flabrom
    15 years ago

If you have questions about the policies or pictures on the Florida Council website, it would seem to be most productive to contact the webmaster rather than complain about it. Given that there are more than 15,000 pictures on a website that is 12 years in the making, there are bound to be quality issues, especially with the pictures from the first few years.

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

I agree flabrom. Its another thankless job and I personally think the site is well organized. Its the one website that I know I will get an answer quickly on any probs I have. I think Mr Andreas and Karen do a wonderful job. There is not another website that has as much as FCBS offers to brom lovers worldwide for free.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions