Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
junglegal_gw

Androlepsis skinneri - blooming right now

junglegal
15 years ago

Based on these pics, do I have the true androlepsis skinneri or a hybrid? Even the pups in full sun seem stretched compared to online pics I've seen.

I picked this up a couple years ago. I needed broms that could take full sun. This one is toothy, colorful and large. It has also proven to be a terrific pupper. From my original plant, I have 9 pups. If anyone wants to trade for one, ping me.

Here is the mama from 2 angles. She is aprox 4' across, 3' high. She currently has 7 pups.

{{gwi:443620}}

{{gwi:443621}}

her flower. Based on the flower, I believe mine to be a female?

{{gwi:443622}}

Her first born now with 2 pups of it's own

{{gwi:443624}}

and finally her second born. Mama was this size when I bought her in May 2007

{{gwi:443626}}

Comments (11)

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Very nice bloom

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

The only way you can tell for sure if it's male or female is by examining the floral parts and seeing if it's got stamens or a pistil. You'll have to wait until the flowers open up to make that call. If it has both, then it's probably a hybrid. I don't recall ever seeing pinkish tips on the buds, but that could be just a varietal difference.

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Hi Junglegal,

Beautiful broms and very nicely grown!
    I have flowered an Androlepis skinneri once, and the inflorescence on mine looked quite different to yours. And I agree with you that yours looks more stretched, or narrower leaved, than mine and others I've seen. As you have been growing yours in strong light, and still the leaves are quite narrow, I also suspect it could be a bigeneric hybrid. My mature specimen has only produced two removable pups (so far) post flowering, and a third is forming on the old mum now.
    I have shown these photos on the forum before, but here are a few again for you to directly compare. I did not dissect the flowers, so I don't know the sex of mine. It was growing in dappled light.

Androlepis skinneri
    {{gwi:443628}}

{{gwi:443630}}

{{gwi:443632}}

I think your lovely plant could be xAndrolaechmea 'O'Rourke', which does look like it has narrower leaves (on bottom photos on fcbs link), and pink-tipped petals. See the link below.
    What think you, and others?

Cheers,
    Kerry

Here is a link that might be useful: xAndrolaechmea 'O'Rourke'

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

There is a narrow leaf clone with the bloom showing pink tips
    Photo is on FCBS with the skinneri photo's

• junglegal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just found a pic of this plant when I first bought it
    {{gwi:443634}}

• bodiggly
    15 years ago

The bigeneric xAndrolaechmea O'Rourke also has the pink flower tips. It looks alot like your brom.

• junglegal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeah, I think Kerry & bodiggly may be right. Looks very close!! I'll post another pic once the flowers open. Now, what to do with all these pups which are soon to be huge. LOL! Thanks everyone

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

You're welcome, Junglegal. I will be keen to see the open flowers.
    Thanks for the offer of spare pups. I'd put my hand up in a flash, but my (Oz)government makes it too hard. Many brom folk in U.S. would be happy to buy pups, I imagine, unless it is common over there? What about trying to sell them through your nearest brom society, or advertise in your local paper, or maybe U.S.eBay?

Thanks for sharing this wonderful brom with us.

Cheers,
    Kerry

• bromaloonie
    15 years ago

Ohhhh what a shame, i would have love to have swapped with your pups, very nice plant.
    Im keen on finding more plants for outdoors in direct sunlight and thats a nice big one too
    Thanks for sharing

• User
    15 years ago

"I have 9 pups"
    What is this, in-vitro month for moms? Doesn't sound like you can handle all those hungry little mouths Bren. Whatcha looking for in trade?

• junglegal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I pm'd you on IPS Gonz

To my Aussie friends who replied, from what I've seen coming out of your country, I would LOVE to be able to trade with you! Thanks again to all for the responses!

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions
More Discussions