Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lyndi_whye

Fungus?

lyndi_whye
15 years ago

Found these black spots on the lower leaves. Most of the spots congregate near the tips of the leaves and they are about the size of green beans. I have removed affected leaves and sprayed plant with fungicide but I am curious as to what those spots might be.

{{gwi:443680}}

{{gwi:443681}}

Comments (7)

• User
    15 years ago

It looks more viral than fungal.

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

I'm pretty sure it's fungal, but I don't know the name of the organism. I am plagued by those black spots too, to the point where there are certain particularly susceptible cultivars I think I may have to just stop growing altogether! We don't use fungicides or most other chemicals anymore, and it's just not worth the battle.

I never had this problem until somebody gave me a Gasteria that had some big black spots on the leaves. I eventually threw that plant out, but not before it had spread to some of my other succulents, and the broms too. I find that if you feed fairly heavily the plants are much less prone to get that than if they are grown hard, but too much feeding can ruin the look too. Removing those leaves and spraying is probably the best thing you can do, and be sure to inspect any incoming plants too.

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Those spots is one reason why I increased the 'K' in my feeding program and it is almost none existant in my collection now. I never found out exactly what it was but I beleive in prevention so I dont have to use many chemicals

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Did you have much of a black spot problem before you boosted the K, HDD? I know other local growers who have never had this problem at all. I wish I could turn back the clock and destroy that one infected plant that started it all!

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Only on certain plants Lisa...I rarely see it now

• lyndi_whye
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all your input! This is a newly imported plant. I found a few spots in a few of the plants from the same batch but they are less serious than this one. Actually I am not so sure if the spots on the other plants are injury spots or fungal spots. Anyway, I have segregated these plants and sprayed the whole collection.

Lisa, do I really have to throw this plant away?

HDD, I do feed my plants with foliage osmocotes, I will change it to the high 'K' one later today. Thanks!

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

I can understand why you wouldn't want to throw the plant out, Lyndi, and if you are spraying, segregating, and have removed and destroyed the spotted portion of the leaves, you should be able to control it before it gets out of hand.

Sponsored
More Discussions