Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avane_gw

Last days of summer too(two). . .

avane_gw
16 years ago

As an extention of Jaga's note, here are some more late summer garden views from sunny (and windy!) Cape Town:

Aech orlandiana, Ensign, and Reverse Ensign

{{gwi:443831}}

Aech fosteriana (are they all so tall growing?)

{{gwi:443832}}

And here is the front entrance to my garden

{{gwi:443833}}

And some red Neo's next to a little stream

{{gwi:443834}}

With Gee Whiz further down taking centre stage

{{gwi:443835}}

And the side entrance to my front garden - I live on a street corner

{{gwi:443836}}

And in my back garden around the pool that Lisa wants me to put a roof over, De Rolf and some others

{{gwi:443837}}

And Linda Cathcart and some hot pink ones

{{gwi:443838}}

And in the corner under a tree fern, mostly vrieseas

{{gwi:443840}}

And an extra splash of colour, Puppy Love

{{gwi:443842}}

And just to show that I not really one track minded, a white dendrobium growing in a tree

{{gwi:443844}}

And lastly, one of the many hibscus that I also grow : Sibling

{{gwi:443845}}

Japie

Comments (10)

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    16 years ago

Beautiful color and textures. I'm happy to see you have at least 2 Crotons amongst all those bromeliads.

• avane_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I lost LOTS of them before my garden started looking and behaving like a jungle - our winters are cold and wet - but now thy thrive:
    {{gwi:443846}}
    {{gwi:443847}}
    {{gwi:443848}}
    {{gwi:443849}}
    {{gwi:443850}}
    {{gwi:443851}}

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    16 years ago

From the top:
    Picturatum
    Sun Ray
    Mammay
    Mrs. Iceton
    Stoplight
    and what appears to be a very red Rudy Bachmann

• tomas
    16 years ago

Beautiful! I especially like the broms mounted on your palms.
    How do you water during the dry summer?
    The white Dendrobium, is it D. nobile? Looks like this one, but it would be strange flowering at the end of summer.
    Tomas

• LisaCLV
    16 years ago

Japie, it looks fabulous-- great composition and neat as a pin! You'd have a heart attack if you saw our 8 acres of chaos and sky-high weeds. We've got no time to landscape; somebody send me a garden maid.... no, better make that ten!

I guess I can see why you wouldn't want to cap your pool, but with all of those seedlings you've got coming you'll be pulling your hair out with no place to grow them! How about going up another story on the house with a greenhouse on the roof? ;-)

• avane_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Fawnridge, thanks very much for those names, I did not know one of them. Whenever I saw a croton that I liked, I bought it and because they are so difficult to grow here in Cape Town, the nurseries do not bother with cv names.

Tomas, that white orchid is definitely a Dendrobium, but not nobile. It might be a cv with nobile as one of the parents. The flowers are fuller than nobile and as you remarked, nobile flowers end of winter, beginning of spring and this white one mid to end of winter and then all through the year sporadically. It also flowers on stems that still have leaves where as nobile flowers from bare stems.
    Den nobile:
    {{gwi:443852}}

Thanks Lisa. That upper storey greenhouse might be the answer! My first own seedlings have germinated already!!

• jaga
    16 years ago

Japie,
    Fantastic garden, it looks hot there. We wished we can grow crotons outdoors- how do you get it through winter there? Love that hibiscus too. Your johannis derolf could give the `best neoregelia'in our brom fiesta a run for it's money. Long live summer!

• kerry_t_australia
    16 years ago

Ditto, Japie! - absolutely beautiful garden, with a riot of colour so tastefully arranged. Like Tomas, I also appreciate the extra dimension by going up ie. epiphytes on palms and driftwood.
    And oh so neat! I need those garden maids too.....

Well done, and thanks for sharing the photos with us.

Cheers,
    Kerry

• winterlager
    16 years ago

It is a lovely garden. I have a few old Crotons. Crotons were overdone here in the 60's,70's and 80's, but are making a comeback. The problem is Crotons will grow when nothing else will, which makes them look bad when they are the only thing, barely, growing in a yard.

• barbcoleus
    16 years ago

Wow it's so neat!!! Also thanks for the id of the Ae orlandiana, now I know what I have.

Sponsored
More Discussions