Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My first- Silver Urn

Posted by Jess5515 none (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 10:07

I received a Silver Urn plant as a gift this weekend. Its huge, with two pups the size of the mother, and all three are in bloom. In an attempt to help, my significant other replanted it into a pot using African Violet Mix (I'm guessing its bc that was the first bag of potting mix he could find in the garage).

So now I need to know what type of mix it SHOULD be in, since I'm assuming I'll need to change that. Also, I'd like to separate the pups. Is there anything special I need to do, or just pull them apart? Right now the plant is in an area of the living room that gets filtered sunlight in the afternoon, and I have the cups filled in each.

Ive been lurking on this forum for a few weeks now, so I'm very excited to have my first brom. Any tips or advice is much appreciated.

This post was edited by Jess5515 on Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 10:29

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My first- Silver Urn

• Posted by rednofl 9b Goldenrod Fl hz (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 6:42

You can leave it alone at this point and enjoy the blooms Any kind of fast draining soil is good. Moist to dry is good, wet is bad . They should be divided when they are growing, before they bloom. Enjoy the beautiful blooms, Then when it is done it should start to produce pups which you can remove when they are 1/3 the size of the mother plants. If you are in a warm area stick them out under a tree once thy start looking a little ratty and take the pups. Enjoy

o

What is a Silver Urn?

o

I'd say Aechmea fasciata. Silver Vase/Silver Urn.

tj

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here