Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephania_gw

They should be given the credit.

stephania
15 years ago

There are the Australian 'Honeyeaters' and American hummingbirds

here in Thailand, Sunbirds are the Asian equivalent of yours.

For months while many of my Dyckias have bloomed, I enjoyed looking a pair of

Olive-backed Sunbird (Nectarinia jugularis) pollinating my Dyckia every morning.

{{gwi:444528}}

The male.

{{gwi:444529}}

The female

{{gwi:444530}}

{{gwi:444531}}

So do these good ants!

{{gwi:444532}}

{{gwi:444533}}

{{gwi:444534}}

Yes they've done very good job.

{{gwi:444535}}

{{gwi:444536}}

I should give them the credit for hybridizing, right ? (^_*)

Comments (6)

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Well Chanin, sorta. If you placed the plants carefully so as to encourage the right plants being pollinated to one another, you get half the credit and the pollinators half :)
    Beautiful little birds

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Hi Chanin

I have New Holland Honey Eaters which do the same job on my Broms. I don't have Dyckias though, but it's great to watch them work, they never seem to stop.

All the best, Nev.

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Are they delicate eaters, Chanin? Whenever birds visit my broms they tear out the floral parts (and the pollen tags), so I don't consider them much of a help!

• bromaloonie
    15 years ago

Yep they should be given the credit, and I do just that.:)
    I have a pair that come to my brom house every morning. They are extremely busy polinating every single flower they can find
    The female has made two hanging nests in my brom house so far in 12 months and she has hatched a few babies
    {{gwi:444537}}
    It doesnt take her too long to complete a nest, she works for days , almost 2 weeks i think and shes done.
    I try to be careful not to go in there too much while shes sitting on the eggs
    There are a few families of sunbirds on this property but there is only one pair that have taken ownership of the love tunnel of their heaven....lol
    I have neo seeds by the millions(still sitting in the cups of the broms)...that i have not mastered or have the knowhow...maybe one day
    I gave it a go and sent some to friends also.... some have survived and many have not...more the latter...LOL
    The ones that survived are still only teeny weeny and still in the original dish i sprayed them into
    maybe i can show you all one day....lol(nothing to write home about)
    I have tried taking pics of the sun birds in action, but its so hard to have camera on hand , and when i do they are very quick and hard to capture...Good on you Chanin for getting them on film...lol
    Great shots

Cheers Germaine

• stephania
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ohh...I see, HDD, yep I agree I should be too...Hee he he :-))

Hi Nev. it must be a very pleasure to have these good little bird singing around.

Sunbirds are quite dilicate, they just landing on the flexible Dyckia's flower stalks
    and swaying them gently while eating nectar, but Bulbuls are sometimes a beaker.
    Lisa I really love your Hawaiian "Iiwi" bird.
    Ohh BTW, thanks for the "Post Card" from Hawaii too (^_*)"

Germine, that's very cool to have a little family in your garden.

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Chanin, bulbuls are what we have a lot of here and they're very destructive! I wish we had i'iwis and other native honeycreepers where we live, but they are mostly limited to remote forest areas on the outer islands (see link).

Glad you got my little message. ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: I'iwi

Sponsored
More Discussions