Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tips on bromeliad care and pup separation

Posted by x207 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 13:12

ive had this bromeliad for nearly a year. i bought it after it finished blooming. it has 2 pups atm, 1 pup 5 inches tall and the other 3 inches tall. i dont know how to separate pup. the parent is 7 inches tall. i wouldnt mind repotting the plant but im unsure of the pot size given the pups nor the soil to use. im willing to progressively go to a pot size maximum of 8 inches once the current pups get to full size. atm the plant is in a 4 inch pot.

when i do have to seperate pups, how far do i have to dig to get sufficient soil and roots out without damaging either plant?

i do have some orchid fertilizer though no bromeliad fet specifically. i havent yet fertilized mine. bromeliad fertilizer are 17 8 22 while orchid fert is 19 31 17. id be willing to use the orchid fert only if the phosporus wont burn or damage bromeliads.

This post was edited by x207 on Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 13:14

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tips on bromeliad care and pup separation

Do you have a picture of the whole plant? Hard to tell which brom you have. Based on this picture I would just move the whole thing to the next size pot and make sure the soil is free draining potting soil.

o

ty for the reply, the plant is 14inches at the widest point of the leaves.

i dont have any 5 inch pots but i have a few 6 inche ones. i have shutlz potting soil, perlite and sphagnum peat moss on hand. i dont have fir bark/orchid bark but i'll look around for some. i dont like spagnum moss too much as it gets rather dense when dry but i'll use it if needed.

i also have a sand based cactus soil though i dont know if it meets the need of bromeliads.

This post was edited by x207 on Thu, Feb 7, 13 at 18:16

o

As long as the potting soil drains well...the bromeliad will do just fine. They don't do well with wet feet especially in winter.

o

thank you very much. i'll go with 1/2 potting soil, 1/4 perlite and 1/4 orchid bark. i have a cactus style 5 inch pot to put it in.

which bromeliad variety is this? id like to know what sort of flower comes from it.

o

Your plant is a Guzmania
They come in many colors. See FCBS.org for many pictures of the plants.
Cut and paste this link in your browser for a photo.
http://fcbs.org/images/Guzmania/guz_Chloe.jpg

o

FCBS.org has many photos of all bromeliad genera.

o

thank you very much for the plant ID. i did a quick google search for the flower for this particular bromeliad, is the one in the pic accurate? if im correct the form is similar to those of the large Zinnia flowers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here