Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suecirish

Nidularium, I think

suecirish
15 years ago

Hi,

I'm really a novice with Bromeliads. I bought one and promptly killed it and then replaced it in Nov 2007 with this one. I think it has survived basically because I have mostly neglected it. I have been on a mission lately to try to identify it. I think I have narrowed it down to either Nidularium innocentii var. striatum OR Nidularium rutilans variegated. The plant has never flowered since I have had it, though there is a large pup still attached to the mother and a second pup growing from the first. In appearance in photos, those two look very very similar. From what I have read, the difference is that the leaves of N. rutilans are thicker and stiffer. If I am correct then I think this is the correct ID. But if anyone has any other information or suggestions to offer, I'd be most grateful. It is still in the original plastic store pot and soil, so I am about to repot this and give it a bit of dignity finally, and it should have an identity.

{{gwi:445020}}

Comments (10)

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

You may have to wait for a flower to ID this plant

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

What made you decide it was a Nidularium, Sue? I'm not getting that vibe from it at all, especially not the two you mention. Is the leaf margin spiny? It looks pretty smooth to me. My first thought was that it might be a Vriesea, but after seeing the way the pup is coming out, it looks more like a Neoregelia. There are several spineless (or nearly spineless) variegated Neo hybrids with N. compacta, macwilliamsii or Fireball in the mix. Maybe Martin? How big is that pot? That may help narrow it down.

• suecirish
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I will readily admit that I know next to nothing. That's why I came to humbly ask for help. Nidularium was really a guess after looking at what seems like hundreds of photos. Mostly because there is absolutely no hint of any spines or any coloration of red or pink at all and never has been.

The characteristics of my plant:
    The pot it was in was 6 inches diameter, 4 inches tall.
    The leaf margins are completely smooth, no spines at all. Rounded tips.
    Medium green leaves with variable-width cream stripes the length of the leaf. No other coloring.
    Longest leaves are 8 inches, and leaves are consistently one inch wide with a slight taper to about 5/8 - 3/4 inch at the tip.
    Leaves are fairly stiff and sturdy. Feel thick but not to the thickness of a sanseveria, smooth and glossy.

Thanks for you consideration and help.
    Here is a photo that shows the way the pups grow.

{{gwi:445021}}

• bromaloonie
    15 years ago

ahhhh its looking very Neo'ish to me
    but just dont ask me which one...LOL
    im hopeless with that sort of thing

• devo_2006
    15 years ago

My guess is that your're on the right track with Nidularium rutilans variegated. Nid. innocentii var striatum has got many more 'striated' lines along the leaf.
    I've got a group of plants that were called Nid. regelioides, and they pup just like your 2nd photo shows. Nid regelioides was lumped in with the group rutilans a few years back. You'll know for sure when it flowers.
    Cheers, Andrew.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:445018}}

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Seen from the side I'm definitely sticking with Neo! Nids have spines (albeit softish ones). N. innocentii is not glossy, N. rutilans is more mottled, and none of them pup like that.

The arching leaves, rounded tips and stoloniferous habit are making me think it's one of the Fireball hybrids, like an overgrown Zoe, but to be that big and that devoid of any reddish coloration it would have had to have been grown under very low light conditions and/or heavily fed. Has this been kept indoors under only artificial light?

• suecirish
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No, not at all. It has spent all of its life not more than 10 feet from a window, and for the past 10 months or so, it has been about 3 feet from a south facing window with some trees around but still gets lots of sun all morning and at least dappled if not full sun (depending on the season) the rest of the day. It has never been fertilized. This is how the coloring has always been.

• suecirish
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Andrew, couldn't check your link - "Access Denied"

• devo_2006
    15 years ago

I've re-done that link...it's just a direct link to the FCBS photo of a variegated form of what is now called Nidularium rutilans. Interesting that the photo is labeled Nid. regelioides variegated. I've got some Nid rutilans & they tend to always have mottled leaves, & pup close to the mother, then I've got some that were orginally purchased a regelioides, that lose their mottling in lower light, & do have a bit of a stolon, somewhat like that seen in your second photo.
    Now, I'm known to have a bet from time to time, but I wouldn't put my money down on this one till I see the flower...as I said it just my guess...and up against Lisa in the Neo camp...I dont fancy my odds ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:445019}}

• suecirish
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I guess I am going to have to wait for the flower for a positive ID. I'm not betting on Nidularium - it was after all just a guess. I did see photos of the two Nidularium I mentioned that looked very much like mine. But I guess the fact that they are all green/variegated without red coloring doesn't really point in one direction or another. I'll be studying more photos of Neoregelia and see what I can find. Should there have been a flower before the pups appeared? From reading info, I thought I understood that was the sequence, but maybe I misunderstood. I can see a great resemblance with mine and Neo. "Martin".