Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fiesta miniature Neo's.

Posted by devo_2006 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 26, 08 at 14:27

Miniature Bromeliads, and especially the mini Neos have been gaining interest with local collectors over the last few years. This interest has been driven by the perennial lack of space issue many collectors face, and the fact that many new varieties have been made available here, thanks to importers bringing in a wider range of these little plants, primarily sourced from Australia.

Here is a selection of some of the minis that were on display.

Neoregelia lilliputiana (Frist prize winner)

Photobucket

Neoregelia Graces Avalanche

Photobucket

Neoregelia Cheers

Photobucket

Neoregelia Wild Tiger

Photobucket

Neoregelia Annick

Photobucket

Neoregelia Granada

Photobucket

Neoregelia ampullacea x

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fiesta miniature Neo's.

Droooooolll.

Sander

o

Great to see a post of these. A first that i have seen. They are great for the small yard and seem to be a cut above full sized broms in cold tolerance. Neo fireball is my favorite brom period. N.ampullacea is a great at cold,but slow as mollasses in the S.F. bay area.Fireball,as fast as most.And despite rumors and claims to the contrary,fireball does not lose color in winter here.Still a standout in February.

o

The minis were infectious, & I just had to add a few to my collection

Deuterocohnia lotteae (my first little Deut)

Photobucket

Mini Neos, from left to right; sarmentosa x pauciflora; Cheers; Punctate Red; Wild Tiger; Bitzer; & Dartanion.

Photobucket

BTW, if anyone has an established clump of the sarmentosa x pauciflora, Id like to see a photo.

o

Rainforest Flora is offering a selection of miniature Neos right now. The ones pictured have great color. I am partial to the Neo. amp x Neo tigrina, and N. punctatissima 'Rubra'. The N. 'Mocha Mint' X N. olens hybrid is a pretty, vibrant red.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Mini Neos

o

Love the minis! Their only drawback is that they tend to be somewhat more limited in color and patterning than some of their larger brethren. That will change, I promise you.

I always figured their popularity had to do not only with limited space issues, but also being easier on the pocketbook, particularly in these economic times, so I just about choked looking at Rainforest's asking prices! Would you guys actually pay that much for those? If so, you need to hop on a plane and come see me, that's all I'm gonna say about that. ;-)

o

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for posting the display of eye-catching minis, very interesting.

I know they are gaining popularity in our area and I guess with the availibility of normal size building blocks decreasing and more units and flats being built, we will see many more of these in the future as people adapt their hobby to suit their available space.

Mike, I tend to agree with Lisa about the prices in the catalogue though, they are a bit steep, but then I suppose those people have to make a living and while people are willing to pay those prices, why not? I guess it's a case of supply and demand.

I think with the increase in popularity, more colours and variations will become available in the future as more work is done in the hybridizing field.

Just to extend this thread a bit more why don't we all post a pic of some of our mini's and have a "G.W. MINI SHOW"?

As soon as it gets light enough, I'm off down the back to take some pic's for posting.

All the best, Nev.

o

I agree the prices are high. I have just been looking at the Neos they have listed because there are a bunch listed I had not heard of before, and the plants pictured have nice color. The fact that they are all "minis" just caught my attention.

One thing I do like about the miniatures, especially those with N. pauciflora and lilliputiana parentage, is that the leaves are more upright, less flattened. And I love the long stolons. Watching them develop into specimens is fun (though it's slow) as the plants creep outwardly.

o

The prices are extremely high for renamed plants. Many have been available for years. Its to late to to re-invent the wheel. I did not see one with mocha mint in the parentage. I noticed many with parentage unknown.

o

Hi everyone, I fell in love with mini neo's when I first saw some really well grown compact and coloured small clumps.
They looked like Bonsai Bromeliads and I had to have some!

Hi Nev - here is my contribution

Fireball

Fireball

Tigercub

Photobucket

Tigercub misfit

Photobucket

lilliputiana x Pepper

Photobucket

punctatissima

Photobucket

Wee Willy

Photobucket

Cheers Richard

o

One of my favourites is Wilsonia. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and people either think it is extremely ugly or like I do, ruggedly handsome, dark and mysterious.
Neo Wilsonia

o

Good idea Nev,

Nice clumps Richard.

Another Punctatissima
NeoPunctissima

Cayenne
NeoCayenne

Probably too big but I'll sneak it in anyway - Marie
NeoOlensMarie

Little Jewel
NeoLittleJewel

o

Great plant guys....

I have most but I am wondering why I don't have Wild Tiger???

Funny enough, this morning I spotted a seedling from a X I did last year with lilli and Lisas' Pinstripe, one of the little guys has the lilliputiana shape and size (so far) with red lines!

Cheers

Dennis

o

Loving this thread, thanks Devo!
Since you showed me yours, I'll show you mine!
Neo. pauciflora, I love this one
Mini Neoregelia pauciflora

Neoregelia 'Pheasant'
Mini Neoregelia 'Pheasant'

Neoregelia 'Bucaneer' x 'Johannis'
Mini Neoregelia 'Bucaneer' x 'Johannis'

Neoregelia 'Tess'

Mini Neoregelia 'Tess'

Neo. 'Tigrina' or N. punctatissima'?
Mini Neoregelia 'Tigrina'

N. 'Fireball' and N. 'Tigrina' as a crest on my brom bird
Mini Neoregelias

A box of minis, each bought for $3 a pot
Mini Neoregelias spp

I can't wait for them all to get to the size of some of the clumps posted here!
BA

o

Hi Guys

For those of you who still have Neo. punctatissima on your label go to Uncle Derek Says, Neo. Punctate.

Pinkbroms

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here