Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gartemua

My collections of brom's in Ukraine.

gartemua
14 years ago

Hello! Hy every one. I do not long for this forum. I already showed flowering Billbergia nutans here.

Now I want to show my collection of bromeliads that I grow in an apartment on the eighth floor, on the southern loggia. Photos of 2009 year.

And so I'll start:

My south loggia (left part)

{{gwi:445523}}

My south loggia (right part)

{{gwi:445525}}

Then I show you seeding:

Orthophytum saxicola var. aloifolium

{{gwi:445527}}

{{gwi:445529}}

Puya Mirabilis

{{gwi:445531}}

{{gwi:445534}}

Puya venusta

{{gwi:445537}}

Puya coerulea

{{gwi:445540}}

Dyckia marnier-lapostollei

{{gwi:445543}}

Tomorrow I will continue

Comments (36)

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,

Artemua, it's, really great of you to share your pic's with us, and I could be wrong, but I think they may be the very first on this Forum from Ukraine.

Your plants look very happy and healthy, and such a good variety of genera. Considering they are grown in an eighth floor apartment just shows your skill as a brom grower.

Personally I can't visualise how I would go about growing plants like this as I don't think I could meet the challenge, but I have often read articles by an American gentleman called Herb Plever and how he grows his plants inside a high rise apartment in America and you may well get a lot of growing tips if you read some of his articles, although you seem to be doing fine on your own.

Hopefully you will share some of your cultural methods with us in the future, as growing brom's in an environment where you personally have to create the right conditions without the help of nature is a very interesting topic, and I'm sure others in a similar situation to you would love to hear about.

Keep up the good work, all the best, Nev.

• User
    14 years ago
  • sdandy
    14 years ago

Welcome GArtemua, your plants look good and happy. Are you going to keep the puyas on the balcony? Your seedlings look like they are growing well. I love Dyckia marnier-lapostollei plants, keep us posted as it develops.
    -andy

• gartemua
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all. Thank for advice read about Herb Plever.
    Yes I try grow puyas on balcony ^_^.
    So I continue:
    Tillandsia usneoides
    {{gwi:445544}}
    {{gwi:445546}}

Tillandsia albertiana
    {{gwi:445548}}

Tillandsia cyanea
    {{gwi:445550}}

Vriesea splendens
    {{gwi:445553}}

Vriesea duvaliana
    {{gwi:445555}}

Vriesea splendens 'Era'
    {{gwi:445556}}

Vriesea 'Elan'
    {{gwi:445557}}

Neoregelia carolinae Meyendorffii
    {{gwi:445558}}

Neoregelia ampullacea
    {{gwi:445559}}

• gartemua
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Billbergia 'Wndii'
    {{gwi:445560}}

Billbergia nutans
    {{gwi:445561}}

x Billbergia nutans (hybrid formula: B. nutans x B. magnifica)
    {{gwi:445562}}
    {{gwi:445563}}

Guzmania lingulata minor
    {{gwi:445564}}

Guzmania wittmacki
    {{gwi:445566}}

Ananas comosus
    {{gwi:445567}}

Hechtia argentea
    {{gwi:445569}}

xCryptbergia 'Red Burst'
    {{gwi:445571}}

Cryptanthus hybr.
    {{gwi:445573}}

• gartemua
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This is my future florarium. It is designed for bromeliads and orchids. Its dimensions is 75x72x50(width height depth).
    {{gwi:445574}}
    {{gwi:445576}}

• barnabot
    14 years ago

Congratulations for your Bromeliads
    Your seedlings please to me, I would like to test and you encourage to do it
    Thanks for the photos, I'm new on the forum and i speak a little english

• gartemua
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you.
    I did not understand this little phrase, please explain on another: "Your seedlings please to me, I would like to test and you encourage to do it "

• woollady
    14 years ago

hello,your plants are absolutely wonderful,i like how you have them against the wall,thanks for the beautiful photos.you have a very green thumb!

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,

Barnabot, I would just like to say welcome to our friendly forum. According to my records since I joined, we now have members from 25 different countries and you are the first from French West Indies.

I know you will find it a very interesting forum where our members from all over the world willingly sharing their knowledge with others with the aim of helping everyone to grow better bromeliads.

Enjoy being a member, and I look forward to you sharing your knowledge with us.

All the best, Nev.

• gartemua
    Original Author
    14 years ago

woollady thank you.

• gartemua
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My Acanthostachys strobilacea will blossom.
    {{gwi:445577}}

• gartemua
    Original Author
    14 years ago

{{gwi:445579}}
    {{gwi:445581}}

• gartemua
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Guzmania lingulata minor
    {{gwi:445582}}
    {{gwi:445584}}

• gartemua
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Puya coerulea var. coerulea
    {{gwi:445585}}

Dyckia marnier-lapostollei
    {{gwi:445586}}

• gartemua
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cryptanthus bivittatus Red Star
    {{gwi:445588}}

• splinter1804
    13 years ago

Hi everyone,

More nice additions to your growing collection gartemua, you're getting quite a variety now, and I especially like the Cryptanthus. These can be striking plants, unless you're like me and don't seem to have much luck with them.

A word of warning though. In the pic of your Puya, is that a pot hanger made of copper wire I can see on the side of the pot? If it is you need to change it because water dripping onto bromeliads from copper or copper treated timber is dangerous as contact with copper can often be fatal to brom's.

All the best, Nev

• allan4519
    13 years ago

gartemua Thank you for your images, I do not come to this forum often. Your English is very clear and easy to understand.
    Earlier "barnabot" said; "Your seedlings please to me"
    I would read this to mean; Your seedlings please me. (I mean no offense to barnabot as I do not speak French).

Question to gartemua; how easy or a problem to you, is importing plants into the Ukraine from other countries?
    Allan

• gartemua
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Splinter thank you for your advice, I'll take away the wire. Thank again.

Allan Oh ... Import. Good question. In Ukraine, it is difficult to import anything from the plant world, but this applies only to larger parties, which are needed documents. I Know that the seeds of palm trees is very easy order, would be only money and space. But with bromeliads a little worse. Here's waiting for a general order for tillandsias from airplants. But it is not known whether the order will be held. Order bromeliads from Brazil, along with orchids for me not cheap. Satisfied with what exists. Certainly looking at the forum on the quantity and quality and plant diversity, I am a little jealous. But what can I do so.

• vriesea
    13 years ago

HiGartemua ,

You seem to be doing quite well in your apartment ,i have no concept of how i would cope with little room ,your comment of " satisfied with what exsists ,what can i do " is what caused me to start hybridizing years ago ,unhappy with the lack of available plants i took the attitude of " if i cannot buy it ? i shall create it ,! " and so i have stuck to that still now 40 years later , a great indicator plant (s ) that you have are the VR splendens and the spotted Phalleanopsis Orchid if both of those are doing well then the conditions you have created are good ,the comment of the grower Barnabot says " that she ( or he )is pleased that you have grown seedlings and thats encourage ment for her?him to try it as well ,so you have inspired someone my friend and thats a great thing to do , please keep us posted , and nice to meet you , cheers from Australia ,
    Jack

• gartemua
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you.
    I'd be happy to hybridization engaged, but as yet I have very little bloom. Here pollinate cryptanthus on billbergia, seeds are ripe, but something is not in a hurry to grow, mold, I watered them permanganate, and all the same. Thanks for the advice.

• gartemua
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Billbergia 'Windii'

{{gwi:445589}}

• gartemua
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Billbergia 'Windii'
    {{gwi:445590}}

• gartemua
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Billbergia 'Windii'

{{gwi:445591}}

• vriesea
    13 years ago

Hi Gartemua , Bill. 'Windii ' is quite one of my favourite Billbergias ,it has a lovely flower spike and is one of the Bill's that last more than a week in flower , my friend Tamera Ison has used it for a few hybrids ,and you would be surprised at some of the coloured foliage it can produce , it can be expected that some will have good flowers as well , for me it flowers the best in the cool months ,if i may give you a bit of helpfull advice ,when crossing 2 plants remember in MOST cases the pollen parent influences colour and pod parent influences shape and size ,( but not allways ) in doing bigenerics , you tend to lose at least half the good features of either parent ,so the end result is often a big dissapoint ment ,so try to aim for features that compliment each other ,the good thing about this forum is you can ask anything here my friend and someone will know what you need ,and its free .
    Cheers ,
    Jack

• bromadams
    13 years ago

Jack, I have Windii and you're right about the inflorescence, it does last fairly long and looks great as long as the plant is elevated. I've tried to make a few hybrids with it but it just doesn't seem to take anything I give it. Of course, if snails hadn't come and eaten all the flowers after I pollinated them maybe I'd have better success.

• gartemua
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the tips. Once you have a chance with something cross-pollination, I will take this chance. And I'm waiting now shoots from these parents:
    Father:
    Cryptanthus hybr.
    {{gwi:445592}}

Mother:
    {{gwi:445593}}

And one box on Cryptanthus matures.

• gartemua
    Original Author
    13 years ago

{{gwi:445594}}

• gartemua
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Billbergia 'Windii'

{{gwi:445595}}

{{gwi:445598}}

• vriesea
    13 years ago

Your plant is certainly well grown my friend ,you can get many more flowers on the spike of Windii ,but it depends on the time of year and how warm / cold it get gets ,great clear photos too ,cheers
    Jack

• gartemua
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Jack. Yes I want grow big spike of windii.

Billbergia 'Windii'

{{gwi:445600}}

{{gwi:445601}}

{{gwi:445602}}

• gartemua
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Billbergia magnifica

{{gwi:445603}}

{{gwi:445604}}

• vriesea
    13 years ago

Great Photos Gartemua ,my you are a long way up in the sky arent you ? is all that open ground below going to be parkland ? or will another tall building go there ? it would make a great park area ,your Bill Magnifica is doing well ,i really like those type of Billbergias ,they have magnificent flower spikes and are beautiful stately plants , good show ,
    Jack

• gartemua
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you. Oh... When I'll put all the trees, will park, and so the house is put into operation in 1993, and no one here, and none whatever you do, unfortunately. Only brave souls like me trying to do something, but people are angry enough, take a dull pulling planted trees. Maybe sometime there will be, a park, or the authorities will again want to make money and sell the area under insured.

And now the good news, sprout seeds and grow a little of my hybrids, I hope to get something interesting.

Seeds from billbergia.
    {{gwi:445605}}

Theoretically parents is:
    Father Cryptanthus hybr.
    {{gwi:445606}}

and

Mother

{{gwi:445607}}

• splinter1804
    13 years ago

Hi gartemua,

Congratulations on your new creations. There's nothing as good as seeing the start of a new bromeliad life. What makes it even better is knowing that you have created it. Now you go into the second phase, "the waiting game" to see what your babies will be like when they are mature. It looks like we have another budding hybridist in the making.

I think it might be a good idea if with your next post that you start a new thread as this one is getting quite long and slow to open for those of us who have older computers.

"Long live the hybridizer"

All the best, Nev.

• gartemua
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you. Yes, I've thought a new topic and then a lot of photos already. Thank you, be sure to take advantage of advice.
    I love messing about with seeds.