Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caligrown

New Here Just Sharing Pictures

caligrown
10 years ago

Hey all,

My name is Patrick. I am a 22 year old collage student studying zoology. I have collected plants since I was five. My love for plants started with Venus fly traps, and my obsessing grew from there. I have grown every thing from cactuses to aquatics and a good deal of others in-between. Today I am growing mostly succulents. I have a small collection of Bromeliads that I have been slowly for 6 or so years. I grow Neoregelias, Tillandsias, Dyckias, and a few random others. Anyways on to the pictures.

This is my favorite brom I own.
Dyckia "Micheal Andreas"

{{gwi:445845}}

Tillandsia ionantha(sorry forgot which form it is)

{{gwi:445848}}

{{gwi:445850}}

Neoregelia "Blueberry Muffin"

{{gwi:445853}}

Neoregelia Green Apple x Fireball

{{gwi:445855}}

Neoregelia "Domino"

{{gwi:445857}}

Neoregelia ampullacea San Diego WBC 94

{{gwi:445858}}

Neoregelia Punctatissima

{{gwi:445860}}

Before I go overboard with the pictures I better stop. Let me know if you all would like me to post more.

Kindest Regards, Patrick

Comments (6)

• auron22
    10 years ago

As a 2+ year member who mostly lurks many forums, never seen complaints about too many pictures...I would honestly love to see ALL of it, non broms included :) I grow only one neoregelia as an experimental study, seeing if I can grow broms besides tillandsia without needing a bunch of things to keep it alive.

I'm very fond of the dyckia, all your broms look great.

If you have not already, I'm sure cacti & succulent forum would love to see your c&s pics. A break from the myriad of questions they get....

• hotdiggetydam
    10 years ago

Nice job growing Patrick. Healthy looking plants. Pictures ae always welcome here.

• caligrown
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry for the late reply. I have been busy with school and work. Thank you both for the warm welcome. Here are a few more of my plants. Im short on time so Im going to skip typing I.D's. If anyone wants an I.D just let me know.

{{gwi:445862}}

{{gwi:445863}}

{{gwi:445864}}

{{gwi:445865}}

{{gwi:445867}}

• Lars
    10 years ago

I also like your Dyckia - I do not have any with such wickedly spiky leaves, but I like they way they look. I have recently acquired a lot of tillandsias, although I have grown them in the past as well.

Do you keep your plants outside all the time? I have my tillandsias hanging in a tree, but I have to keep a lot of the broms in my pergola/gazebo to protect them from too much sun.

Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Lars

This post was edited by publickman on Fri, Mar 7, 14 at 21:41

• caligrown
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Lars,

Thank you for the complement. I grow my Tillandsias mainly indoors, also I grow them in a few of my gecko vivarium's. I just put a few of them outdoors last week. I grow some Neos in my gecko vivarium's and the rest outdoors. I have had the most success growing them in my vivarium's under fluorescent lights. For me under fluorescent lights they grow more true to form.(i.e more compact and colorful year round) I cant seem to grow them right outdoors.

This winter was a cold one here this year. I usually have to deal with frost one week out of the year, but we had well over a month of freezing night time temps.(inland Bay Area California) I got tired of moving my frost intolerant plants inside every night, so I just left them out. Surprisingly I did not lose any of them. The Bromeliads survived sub-freezing temperatures under my porch.(their cups were dry of course) Some look like hell, but they are alive.

Here are a few more pictures of my Bromeliads grown in my vivarium's.

{{gwi:445869}}

{{gwi:445870}}

{{gwi:445857}}

Regards, Patrick

• caligrown
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One more picture.

{{gwi:445871}}

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews