Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul224

paul224
14 years ago

Hi,

I have been reading all the posts for the past few months and finally decided to try posting some pictures. I starting collecting Dyckias last year so most of the one's I have acquired are still fairly small. Since in I live in z6 I have all the plants in my plant room until spring when I can get them outside.

I know these do not compare to the beautiful Dyckias I see posted here but it's a start.

Paul in Arkansas

Bill Baker hybrid

{{gwi:446048}}

D. Big Black

{{gwi:446050}}

D. Marnier-lapostollei hybrid

{{gwi:446051}}

D. Sharon Peterson hybrid

{{gwi:446052}}

D.Silver Queen

{{gwi:446053}}

D. Black Sabor tooth

{{gwi:446054}}

D. Fosteriana bronze

{{gwi:446055}}

Ortho Warren Looseii

{{gwi:446056}}

Comments (18)

• stephania
    14 years ago

Welcome Paul...your're hooked by those spines, now (^_*)

Love the way you use river gravels topping the pot, it looks so nice and natural.

• paul224
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, I am definitely hooked on them. I greatly admire your collection and enjoy seeing the pictures you post. I am hoping to go to the world conference plant sale in New Orleans this summer and add to my collection.

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Paul,

This is going to get a bit confusing as I now think we have 3 Pauls on the forum.

All that aside though, your plants look great. So neat and tidy, and like Chanin I think your use of river pebbles is a nice touch which finishes the "look" off beautifully.

Thanks for sharing, all the best, Nev.

• paul224
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the compliment. I am very anxious for winter to end so I can watch these start growing. I have a bunch more but I won't drive everyone nuts with more pictures.
    So there is no confusion I will sign as:
    Paul in AR

• bryan69
    14 years ago

Paul your plants look good. Where did you get the Baker 1? I have that plant and was wondering what the cross was. I talked to Bill Baker before he passed away and he had no idea what the plant was.The marnier hybrid is really nice. I live in New orleans area and will have plenty of Dyckias for sale.

• paul224
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I got this plant from a really nice man in Covington. I have purchased a number of Dyckias from him. I would be interested in what you may have to sell.
    Paul in AR

• bryan69
    14 years ago

ok that explains it. He is a good friend of mine and he got that plant from me.

• malleeaustralia
    14 years ago

Welcome aboard Paul. Great to see your photos - I dont yet have any Dyckia's in my collection but Im sure a few will find there way in there before long!

Don't hold back with anymore pics, comments or questions - you never know what tid-bit of great info a post/comment or question may bring up.

all the best
    Kristan

• bromeliaddict
    14 years ago

Welcome to the forum, Paul... from Paul in Michigan. I'm planning to be in New Orleans for the conference. I'll look forward to meeting you there!

• paul_t23
    14 years ago

Hi Paul and Paul, its Paul here. Welcome Paul! I agree with Kristan - don't hold back on the photos. I bought my first Dyckia just last week and I have the feeling that it may be the start of something that will get out of control. Again. The more pics the merrier! Cheers, Paul

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Sydney Paul,

Sounds like more grass has to go to make way for the Dyckias now.

All the best, Nev.

• paul224
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well here are a few more pictures of my Dyckias. Again, still small but growing.

Paul in AR

D. Fosteriana
    {{gwi:446057}}

D. Lad Cutek
    {{gwi:446058}}

D. Sabor Tooth
    {{gwi:446059}}

D. Mercury
    {{gwi:446060}}

D. Red Planet
    {{gwi:446061}}

D. Icicle
    {{gwi:446062}}

Fosteriana hybrid going to flower
    {{gwi:446063}}

• sdandy
    14 years ago

Hi Paul, welcome! Nice collection of spinies there. I like that Saber Tooth and all of the silvery plants. Keep posting pictures as they grow.
    -andy

• paul_t23
    14 years ago

Hi PaulAR, just catching up again. Thanks for more Dyckia pics! And Nev, you're right, the grass is having a seriously bad time. Cheers, Paul

• stephania
    14 years ago

Hi Paul224, I've kept some as yours, they're really neat spiney when get bigger.

Dyckia 'Mercury'

{{gwi:446064}}

Dyckia 'Icicle'

{{gwi:446066}}

• paul224
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Your plants are beautiful Stephania. Please show some more.

Paul in AR

• udo69
    14 years ago

Hi paul224,

Nice group of spiny. I'm so jealous. You live in where is planty of this spiny and easy to get. I'm starting over this plants again because someone here induce me in this spiney. ;-) Hope I can get some. Keep posting.

Pee Pong: Your Murcury looks fantastic. I like That big spines. Thank for sharing. More pics please.

Cheers,
    Yong

• bromeliaddict
    14 years ago

Paul, If you type in the search box above "stephania spinies" or "stephania Dyckias" you can find links to many of Chanin's photos that he has shared with us.

BTW, I just picked up D.'Cherry Coke' and D.'Big Black'. I'm curious to see how well they keep their red color up here. I've had D. reitzii var rubra x 'Mercury' for a couple of years, and it's a disappointing greenish silver plant during the winters.... can't wait to put it outside in full sun!

Paul in MI

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!
More Discussions