Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Remove pups or not?

Posted by annafl z9b/10a Sarasota (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 19:39

Hi, I'm in Florida and I've had bromeliads for years but I really haven't done that well with them. I frequently get rot in the cup and then they pup but they end up declining. I think it might be related to having irrigation in some areas and not flushing out the cups. Basically, I'm too busy, and frequently, my hose doesn't reach anyway.

The real purpose of this post is to find out if there's less blooming if you let a plant form a large clump instead of removing pups to make other plants. I'm a lazy gardener and I also prefer large, clumping specimen type of plants. Do I need to remove pups and keep clumps small to get the best blooming? Thank-you, I just need to learn to do better with these plants.

Anna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Remove pups or not?

There is no reason you can't let them clump. They will eventually get too thick and have to be divided. I often cut the mum out after the pups have reached a good size and just let them grow.

o

• Posted by annafl z9b/10a Sarasota (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 17:02

Thank-you! So it doesn't make them less likely to flower if you let two or three pups stay each year? Does it make it more likely they will flower if left to be a clump? Just wondering what the best flowering incentive is. Thanks.

Anna

o

High everyone,

annafl - I don't think it will alter the flowering capabilities of the pups whether you remove them or leave them on the plant to clump. When they reach maturity they will flower anyway; in fact I have found that some brom's flower much easier if they are left in a clump.

All the best, Nev.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here