Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brom_nutter

Seedlings - progress report

brom-nutter
14 years ago

Hi to all, just a quick post to show the progress on the seedlings.

It is much slower for vriesea than a lot of other broms.

They are starting to show some potential.

As a new hybridizer I still find it exciting.

Cheers Richard

{{gwi:447374}}

{{gwi:447375}}

{{gwi:447376}}

Comments (11)

• stoney225
    14 years ago

Your set up is unbelievable. What are you growing the seedlings out in; a shade house or greenhouse and how far along are they? The only Vriesea seeds I have going are diamantinensis and they still In the "little green blob stage." What you have done is impressive to say the least.

• udo69
    14 years ago

Vow!!!

Fabulous things. You have plenty of Vriesea seedlings. They will be very beautiful plants in the near future. I'm so jealous. I have only some of this types and still not succeeded in cross pollination.

Keep posting. I'm eager to see how they change to very nice plants.

Cheers
    Yong

• frangipani_56
    14 years ago

OH MY GOODNESS.Richard that is a major accomplishment especially when you are doing it alone.The speed of growth has been amazing.

Will be down your way in a couple of weeks.Hope to come out and visit if it is convenient.
    Cheers Fran

• paul_t23
    14 years ago

Hi Richard,

Great stuff. Isn't it going to be exciting to see what comes out of that lot!

Just to give me a bit more of an idea of what is happening there, if we take say the group of plants front and centre in the first pic, could you let me know how old the seedlings are and what size pots they are in?

They all look just so healthy and vigorous!

Cheers, Paul

• neomea
    14 years ago

Wow Rich! Looking good, there are thousands there!

• brom-nutter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Stoney, they are growing out under 50% shadecloth.

Hi Paul - that group some are in 140mm and 120mm
    the other photo's are 100mm and the first group are approx 14 to 19mths old

Thanks for your comments everyone

Cheers Richard

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Richard,

I've only just been able to "log on" as the site kept telling me it was being maintained. In the meantime I've had to bite my tongue as I patiently waited to comment. All I can say is WOW!!! "bloody fantastic", such healthy looking uniformed sized plants, they look great.

Is there any truth to the rumour I've heard that you're starting to work day, afternoon and night shifts 7 days a week to look after all your babies? With all of that work, you certainly are entitled to the reward of some good ones and I hope there are lots of champions amongst them.I get enjoyment and satisfaction from just looking at healthy well grown plants whether they are champions or not and I'm sure you must feel the same to see such results for all your hard work.

Please keep us posted as you extend your shade house outwards as well as erecting your multi-story greenhouse to accommodate your babies as they grow.

"long live the hybridizer"

All the best, Nev.

• sdandy
    14 years ago

Wow Richard, that's a ton of plants. What are you going to do with all of them? Are there any choice ones that are already looking better than their siblings? Looks like a ton of fun (and twice as much work!).
    -andy

• rickta66
    14 years ago

Richard,

Your vrieseas look great, they look like a good size for fairly young plants.

Thanks for sharing.

Rick

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

"As a new hybridizer I still find it exciting."

Well, as an old hybridizer, just looking at them makes me feel tired, LOL. Where the heck are you going to put them all when they mature? Foliage Vrieseas aren't as easy to cull as Neos, there are fewer "bad" ones.

Oh well, not my problem. Best of luck to you!

• malleeaustralia
    14 years ago

To repeat what has been said - WOW!! Nice work - as a new seed grower myself pics like these are definetely an inspiration. From the little growing I've done thus far I can see that the Vr. are generally slower and harder to grow than Neos, Bilbs etc so can appreciate the time and effort you've gone too.

When it comes time to move some on you better put my name down to purchase a seedling or three - if only so you can move in your yard!

Thanks for sharing and I'm looking forward to watching them grow with you on here

Kristan

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH
More Discussions