Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning up bromeliad yard plantings

Posted by solo_voyager 12a (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 6, 14 at 20:54

I've recently moved from Alaska to Hawaii.
I find myself having to deal with a totally new category of plants.
My new place has numerous plantings of many different types of bromeliads and tillandsias that have been let go for a few years. They all need to be cleaned up and replanted.
So, I'm starting with the largest sized plants and least complicated grouping.
Before I do something rash and begin killing all of them, I'd better ask if my plan is a good one.
I have removed the leaves from the 2 original plants.
The remaining plants radiate from the "roots" of those original plants.
There are 4 plants that have bloomed with one younger unbloomed plant attached to each of them.
I'm leery of just cutting the youngest plants off and replanting them.
What I want to do is cut away each pair at the original root stock, then replant them in the central area where the old root is now located with the older bloomed out plants in the center. I'll add a thick layer of mulch, then add a top layer of red cinders before actually replanting them
If this is a viable plan, I have several larger more numerous groupings of smaller bromeliad plants that I'll do next.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning up bromeliad yard plantings

If it were me, I would break the pups off and just plant them with space inbetween.
The mum has flowered and will die. If you do want more pups put them somewhere out of the way and you should get pups.

o
RE: Cleaning up bromeliad yard plantings

Thanks sunshine_qld.
I think that is what I'll do.
I do want to maximize the number of pups and increase the size of the planting of this bromeliad type, and the others as I get to them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here