Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantnovice08

What is wrong with my Bromeliad?

plantnovice08
16 years ago

I received this Bromeliad as a gift and it seems to be getting worse as each day passes. I need to save it! There are so many issues that could be wrong: overwatering, underwatering, not enough sunlight, etc. I live in an apartment and I've been putting my plant by the window but I since I am facing south I fear it isn't getting enough light. I have ordered a grow light and it should be at the end of the week. The pot that my plant came in doesn't have any drainage holes which makes me a little nervous. Should I put some in? Should I repot? Of so, is it a good time to do so? Please provide any advice and let me know what you think it wrong. As far as the flower goes - Has it naturally died (I know they only bloom once) or has it been effected by the poor conditions? Thanks for your help.

Links to pictures:

[IMG]http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh198/sunsets08/Bromeliad%20Tillandsia%20Bowl/IMG_4306.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh198/sunsets08/Bromeliad%20Tillandsia%20Bowl/IMG_4310.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh198/sunsets08/Bromeliad%20Tillandsia%20Bowl/IMG_4307.jpg[/IMG]

Comments (6)

• LisaCLV
    16 years ago

plantnovice, please use the HTML code (the third line) from your photobucket account instead of the IMG line. Then we will be able to see your pictures.

• jaga
    16 years ago

Hi plantnovice08.
    The links to your images are not working for us to see your plant but yes all broms need good drainage so our advise would be to get a new pot with drainage holes or put some holes in the bottom fast!! Broms prefer moist in hot summer or kept dry in the cool. Your plant may have flowered and gone thru its life cycle, in which case it will start browning off but there should be some off shoots at the base of the plant. Have a close look. Broms general prefer high light but will survive in the shade with the loss of colour. All the best

• plantnovice08
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here are the pictures. Thanks for your help!

{{gwi:447760}}
    {{gwi:447762}}
    {{gwi:447763}}

• jaga
    16 years ago

Hi plantnovice08,
    You actually have 3 different plants in your pot. It looks like a floral display pot. There are 2 bromeliads of tillandsia's genus ie the one mounted on the branch & the one with the spear shaped flower. The other one looks like a nidulurum which is a shade loving plant. Best to repot them all separately. The tillandsia on the branch doesn't need a pot & can be left mounted as it is. Good luck!

• madabouteu
    16 years ago

The one on lower right is Tillandsia cyanea; unlike most Tillandsias, this one can be potted. The one on the left may be Nidularium, but also could be a Guzmania; if there are no spines along the leaf edges, it's Guzmania. The Tillandsia on top wants more sun than the other two but cannot be potted. As Jaga says, bromeliads die after flowering but send off "pups" as replacements - just let them grow in place and pull dead leaves off the mother plant as they die.

Sometimes the bromeliads are induced to bloom before they are ready, and they then do not have enough resources to produce pups.

• mikeanddonna
    16 years ago

I vote Guzmania lingulata minor on the left & agree its likely problem is mineral buildup from poor drainage. It had probably started well before you got it. Unfortunately, at this stage in its life, the standard treatment, leaching (running a bunch of water through the soil, followed by time to dry out) probably won't help; these plants naturally start to die off after blooming. Were it mine, I'd repot it alone into soil/pot with good drainage & cultivate it properly: bright light but out of direct sun, keep the tank (center of leaf rosette) full of water (preferably naturally soft), flush the tank with water to wet the soil when that gets dry, & feed w/ half-strength plant food in the tank each month. They like misting too if your humidity is really low (optional). Start watching for pups down inside the outer leaf bases. They can be cut off with a sharp knife (go in parallel to the leaf above) when 5-6" long and easily rooted in moist potting soil. The faster/sooner you cut them off, the more it will produce (though the "1st-borns" are usually the best). As outer leaves die, wait til they dry out down to the base, then split them length-wise & pull the halves apart to remove (most bromels pull nutrients out of the dying leaves = more/healthier pups). I'd expect this one to live nearly a year and produce up to 10-12 pups in that time. They make great gifts and provide a supply of replacements for this one after it's gone. Good luck & enjoyment!