Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
splinter1804

What is it?

splinter1804
14 years ago

Hi all,

Some time back in one of the Nidularium discussions I mentioned that I had purchased a plant named as X Nidumea 'Claret Cup'.(I don't know if this is the correct name as I haven't seen a picture of it before or since, not even the FCBS photo index)The only reference to this name is in the BSI Cultivar registry (xNidumea 'Claret Cup' Hummel However this description does not fit my plant. From the pictures below can anyone please identify this plant for me?

{{gwi:448152}}

{{gwi:448154}}

{{gwi:448156}}

Thanks in advance, all the best, Nev.

Comments (15)

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

Nev, that looks exactly like what I bought some time ago as xNeolarium (now changed to xNiduregelia) Something Special. You can see the Neo influence there, and no sign of any Aechmea genes.

BTW, can I just say that I hate this new GW program that is inserting Bing links into all the postings! Or is it just me that is getting them? Don't click on anything green. ;-p

Here is a link that might be useful: xNiduregelia Something Special

• kerry_t_australia
    14 years ago

I agree with Lisa. It looks like xNiduregelia 'Something Special' to me. This bigeneric is seen growing in several Australian collections.

Bing links?? What Bing links?? I'll have what Lisa's having!

K :)

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Hi Nev ,that plant is ' Something special ' in the right conditions goes fairly deep red in colour , i have had that plant for a long time , Jack

• sdandy
    14 years ago

Yeah, I get them Lisa. Maybe only on US networks? Anything for advertising revenue I guess. It is kind of obnoxious and funny what they pick to link.

I don't really have much to add to the discussion other than it is a neat plant. I like the teeth on it.
    -andy

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

Kerry, they seem to be randomly highlighting and underlining certain words, (eg. plant, program, Nidularium, etc.) and when you click on them it goes to a paid site. Maybe it's only certain servers or something, I don't know, but it's annoying.

Do you get the animated banner ads that open up every time you change the page? Those are even worse! Don't bother telling me I should get Firefox or Mozilla or something, I tried that and didn't like it. Just color me grumpy.

• rickta66
    14 years ago

Cool looking plant Nev.

Lisa,

There is a post about GW's new advertising, you can disable it but it will reappear when you delete your cookies etc.

Rick

Here is a link that might be useful: Adverts

• malleeaustralia
    14 years ago

I have a xNiduregelia "Something Special'. As Jack mentioned - beautiful deep red/burgundy leaves. Mum is looking a bit rough at moment but have got a few pups off her so will check tomorrow if any are coloured nicely and snap a pic.

Kristan

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

Thanks, Rick! Clicking "disable" seems to have worked, even if it did crash my browser!

• splinter1804
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the feedback and looking at the pic's on FCBS it certainly looks like the problem of another uncertain name cleared up.

Lisa, Jack and everyone else, do you know if it is a selfer? The original plant I purchased gave me heaps of seed. Germination rate was good, however, I didn't keep many as I assumed they would come the same as the parent and it was nothing really special.

Looking at them now, there does appear to be differences in the foliage colour and as I certainly didn't pollinate any flowers, maybe some ants or bees had been playing around with it so I guess we'll never know what the pollen parent was. I'll post some pic's of the seedlings in the next day or so.

Thanks once again for the help, all the best, Nev.

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

I've never noticed any seeds on mine, Nev. That yours selfed is surprising, since most (although not all) bigenerics tend to be sterile.

• malleeaustralia
    14 years ago

Here is what I have labelled as xNiduregelia 'Something Special'. This one is starting to colour up but (mum who is now going downhill and in the pupping area)was a nice red/burgundy all over. Not one of those plants that jump out at you immediately but quite nice when light is shining through the coloured leaves.

{{gwi:448157}}

• splinter1804
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,

I finally got around to taking pic's of the seedling from my xNiduregelia "Something Special' in my post above,

{{gwi:448158}}

{{gwi:448159}}

{{gwi:448160}}

{{gwi:448161}}

Comments/suggestions welcome.

All the best, Nev.

• bromadams
    14 years ago

Are those seedlings mostly spineless?

• splinter1804
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi bromadams,

No, they all have spines, some more pronounced than others.

All the best, Nev.

• splinter1804
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi everyone,

I've resurrected this post so that I can add some pic's of the seedlings now that they are starting to colour up and to possibly stir up some more comments from other growers.

Recently I've been told that these seedlings can't exist as they came from a bi-generic plant which is a "mule" and therefore sterile and unable to produce fertile seed.

Just to refresh my memory, I re-read this post and was interested to see that Lisa had said "That yours selfed is surprising, since most (although not all) bigenerics tend to be sterile."

Anyhow, the following pictures are how the seedlings look now, nothing special (maybe a good name) but interesting nevertheless.

{{gwi:448162}}

{{gwi:448163}}

{{gwi:448164}}
    {{gwi:448166}}

{{gwi:448167}}

{{gwi:448168}}

{{gwi:448169}}

{{gwi:448170}}

{{gwi:448172}}

{{gwi:448174}}

{{gwi:448176}}

{{gwi:448178}}