Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fiesta Vriesea on show.

Posted by devo_2006 NZ (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 24, 10 at 23:14

Here is a collection of the Vriesea on show at this years Fiesta, as much as Im a neo addict, I must say these Vriesea are just fantastic plants & they really do add a stylish touch to any bromeliad collection. I remember lining up to buy the first release of Tasman hybrids in 2003, they were primarily "green" plants with tessellationsbut they were something new, & very much sort after. Now in 2010 were almost spoilt for choice with a whole range of well coloured, & well patterned foliage Vriesea, theyve come along way in 7 yrs... Im really looking forward to what will be released over the next few years.

OK, now for the main course

First up, is the classic sp Vr fenestralis

Photobucket

Photobucket

A NZ favourite, Vr. Golden Legend that originally came from Aussie.

Photobucket

Next, the main prize winner, yes its the popular Vistarella

Photobucket

Vr. Misty Pink

Photobucket

Vr. Pink Magic

Photobucket

Vr. Tasman hybrid

Photobucket

Vr. Mint Julep

Photobucket

Vr Starbright, one of my favourites.

Photobucket

Vr. White Mystic, winner of the NZ hybrid section.

Photobucket

The stunning Vr. Cherry Ice, and behind is a well grown Vr. Nova Pink Beauty

Photobucket

Vr Misty Taupo

Photobucket

And a taste of the Vr. hybrids for sale, enough to tempt any brom addict. Some people were buying these by the box load, & coming back for more!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Finally for dessert, a lovely petit treat of subtle variegation, this is something I envisage well see more of as the future of Vriesea hybridising unfolds.

Vr. Lady hybrid

Photobucket

I trust you have enjoyed this Vriesea banquet & that it has sufficiently fuelled the addiction ;-)

><))))>

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fiesta Vriesea on show.

• Posted by hanwc Malaysia (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 24, 10 at 23:41

Devo, thanks for the photos. The vriesea are absolutely stunning in its color and leaves pattern. I wish I'm at NZ this time to join the Fiesta. In particular, the V Starbright and Cherry Bright caught my attention with its almost white center. Just wondering if this white center also meant it is less tolerant to sunlight?

o

Hi Han, we have Vr. Snowman here that has a very white centre (similar to Cherry Ice), I know J&A grow it & have said the plant is tough as boots, no bruises & can take almost full sun. What could work in its favour is that it starts green and turns white until only the tips remain green.

o

Lovely show Andrew ,yes i found that my white hybrids can take a huge amount of light / sun and they also start of green at first ,Jack

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here