Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seymore04

Air Plants seem to be dying

seymore04
12 years ago

I have 3 air plants that I bought im not sure the species they where an assortment that I currently have in upside down hanging pots. I spray water them every day including spraying up into the pot so the roots get wet but they still seem to be getting brown spots on the leaves. Im new to air plants not sure what I need to do to keep these very cool plants alive thank you for any advice or help

Comments (4)

• splinter1804
    12 years ago

Seymore - I'm by no means an expert on airplants, but I'd say you're overwatering from what I've been told.

All the best, Nev.

• gardenbear1
    11 years ago

I think Nev is right on over watering them, I have 2 that I've had for about 4 years and only water them every other week, and lightly mist them 2 or 3 times a week, the seem happy and have bloomed for me.

Bear

• korina
    11 years ago

Oh. Every *other* week? I have three, a Tilli xerographica (thanks, Google), a T. ionantha, and a third Tilli I don't know what it is. I dunk the larger xerographica in a bucket of water every weekish, occasionally with dilute fert. in it, for about an hour and the little ones with it, and recently I've started experimenting with dunking the littles twice a week; they always seem so brittle, and the tips of the leaves are brown.

Everything's in an office under lights, and xerographica is starting to *grow*. Having seen pix of it, I'm starting to get nervous; do I have Clifford the Big Red Dog here?

Oh, and don't laugh, but I've actually murdered a T. neglecta. Oh, the irony, it burns...

• juliebees2009
    11 years ago

Hi all,
    well I am a xerographia nut and I did not know this as a warning to you all spray once month with soapy water diluted of course and don't hang it in sun afterward...why? If one gets a mealy bug etc... it can be transferred to all your air plants/ tillandsia plants I am elderly excuse my hand typing my finger are a bit bad. I thought if you treat one it will be OK but the air wind just us walking by can blow the deceases over to the next air plant just a friendly warning I have lost so many of these till I found this out by a good friend who writes books on theses things now. just a little joke i am the one giving him the secrets i have gone through all these years and killing them :-)
    bye all

Sponsored
Jennifer Gilmer Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Team | 11x Best of Houzz
More Discussions