Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (14)

• wispfox
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow. Just, wow. Thanks for sharing these!

And I'm amused that the magpie made me go "hmm. I bet you're in Australia".

Suzanne

• splinter1804
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Suzanne,

Yes I am in Australia and live on the South East Coast of N.S.W.

As well as Jacko I feed the other four members of his family twice daily as well as numerous, Lorikeets, Crimson Rosellas, Crested Pigeons, Mudlarks, New Holland Honey Eaters and various other birds that drop in from time to time. They all help to make my brom garden a very pleasant place to be.

All the best, Nev.

• hotdiggetydam
    13 years ago

Stunning plants Nev
    What is 28 of 61 in your album? Nice spots

• splinter1804
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi HDD

That is called Midnight Moment, one of Shane Zaghini's hybrids and as yet, I don't think he has registered it.

All the best, Nev.

• bromeliaddict
    13 years ago

Beautiful plants, Nev. It always seems to me that all of the colors take on some added intensity as the days shorten, and the nights start to get a bit cooler! Can you tell me the name of the Guzmania cv. in pic 3? I don't fancy a lot of Guzmanias, but that one is a stunner! Also, do you have any more detailed info on the Neoregelia that is pictured sixth from the bottom of your post?

Spring is SLOWLY taking hold here....can't wait to get the plants outside. Hopefully I'll have some pics to post of some new creations in a few weeks.

Paul

• splinter1804
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Paul,

Yes as I said, they seemed to 'glisten' and that's what prompted me to get the camera out.

The Guzmania was just one I bought at the markets once because I liked the orange/scarlet colouring. As for the name, well the name on it when I bought it was Guz. 'Noah' but it doesn't look the same as the pic on the BSI Cultivar Register.

The Neo. is called 'Rain Cloud' and still has a fair way to go yet as far as colouring up goes. It's from concentrica 'Plutonis' according the the BSI Cultivar Register which probably explains the concentric rings that are visible. It's one of my favourites.

All the best, Nev.

• jennifer_morton68
    8 years ago

Hi Neville, would you mind telling me the name of the neo with purple spots and a whitish center? Its near a green post on your pic. thankyou.

• splinter1804
    Original Author
    8 years ago

If the first picture is No.1 which No. picture is it?

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    8 years ago

I think she might mean pic #5.

These pix are great, Nev, I missed them the first time around. Thank you. If it rained more would you post more? ;-)

tj

• splinter1804
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The three with the dark centres near the post are all hybrids from the same grex, Neo. concentrica x (Charm x Cracker Jack). The light coloured one bottom right is another of my hybrids Neo Gee Whiz x concentrica and it grows quite large.

All the best, Nev.

• bradisha
    8 years ago

Beautiful plants Nev, what is the name of the one under the magpie pic with the cream color bloom, Thanks :)

• splinter1804
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Bradisha - That plant is Edmundoa lindenii rosea - It's one of (I think) only three species being grown by collectors, although there are a couple of nice variegated hybrids around as well. See: http://registry.bsi.org/?genus=EDMUNDOA&id=12370#12370 and the Photo Index of the FCBS at http://www.fcbs.org/pictures.htm. There's also an article about them in the April 2015 Illawarra Bromeliad Society "Newslink" at http://www.bromeliad.org.au/news/Ill0415.htm

When I first bought my plant I was incorrectly told it was a Nidularium, and although they look similar when not in flower and enjoy the same growing conditions, they are a separate genus.

All the best, Nev.

• bradisha
    8 years ago

Thank you kindly Nev, I will review those links you attached and will put Edmundoa Lindenii Rosea on my new want list .

Bradisha

• josephene_gw
    8 years ago

Simply stunting!!!

Jo

Sponsored
DryHome Roofing & Siding, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars82 Reviews
Loudon Co. Roofing, Siding & Exterior Remodeler Best of Houzz 5 times!
More Discussions