Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
my first sead batch

Posted by brom_phil (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 10, 08 at 1:38

hey all I am really excited today as i sowed my first lot of seeds too day (achally there my second but the first ended in the compost as I didnt know what I was doing and after the first watering they got miked through the peat moss) but I have learnt now and this batch which i bought from ebay are Dyckia red planet was sown on top of my peat moss and perlite today.

Ill keep you guys posted on there progress when they germinate. far out i cant wait.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: my first sead batch

Congratulations ! (^_^)

o

Good luck, Phil! Keep us posted :)

Cheers,
Kerry

o

YIPI EVERY ONE THEY GERMINATED

here is some picks of them after 7 long aganising days i am so excited i cant wait till my verrisa hazle seeds areready for sowing than i will have something to celbrate.

Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Yep! We see 'em all right! Congratulations on your multiple fatherhood. May your kids grow strong and tall.

Kerry :)

o

lol thanks kerry

o

Enjoy it while you can. Soon you'll be changing diapers and staying up late when they're sick.

o

You better get a couple extra jobs. Those kids look like college material.

o

hi there sorry for not writting back for a wile but i have been away but in the mean time my seeds now have 4 leaves and a 5th on on its way i also planted some neo seeds 2 weeks ago, dont know there parents but got a picture of them which i will post. they have now there fiberes roots and are starting to grow what look likes there first leaf.

i will be back soo with some picks of them.

o

Hi Brom Phil

I'm pleased for you! You're obviously a fast learner.
Are these the vriesea seeds that you planted?
At what stage do you pot them on to individual pots?

I had a play with some neo seeds (N. Pascoaliana) that where given to me and planted them following directions that i got off this site - my seedlings have three leaves!! I found that they are very happy sitting on top of my outdoor hot water system - the unit is always warm and it lets out warm/moist air each time someone uses the hot water :-)
I am not sure that i planted the seeds at the right time of the year as the seedlings have to survive the cold weather that has already arrived in Melbourne :-(( I have pots of Till. Cyanea growing there too (no flowers but they are alive at least!!)

I look forward to future updates!

o

Hi Ozvon no the ones in the picrues are dyckia Red Planet i did start with some vriesea seeds but they died because i watted the peat moss mixing the peat and the seeds together so none got any light to germinate.

As to when they should be poted on to individual pots i dont realy know, but i am gessing when they are around an inch or so correct me please some one if i am wrong as these are my first couple of batches and i am just Experimenting at this stage as how to do it all.

What i would like to find out is when do you start fertalising them and how much of what type of fertiliser
i always wanted to be able to call a plant my own so these brom seeds are my best chance.

o

Phil, you don't have to fertilize them at all, but a very little water soluble orchid fertilizer mixed in a spray bottle misted on them once a week would probably help. If they have 4 leaves you can start the fertilizer but be careful not to burn them by using too much.

I wouldn't repot them until they are getting real crowded or you can't keep the soil moist without watering every day. You probably don't want 50 little pots to take care of. The fewer pots the better.

o

thanks winterlarger ill keep that in mind

o

Phil, I've never given much thought to seed growing until recently, and that's been using Tillandsias. I did throw some Aechmea blanchetiana seeds into a pot a few months ago, not expecting much. What a surprise. Where'm I going to put 'em?
The bottom shows some till seeds just over 8 months old.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

hey gonza those seedlings look great. i gess with the bottom ones you must need a lot of patiants, which i am lacking at the moment as every day i seem to go out side and check my seeds and to my disapointment they havent changed one bit since yesterday.

i am home tomorrow so i will defantly take some more picks of my seed batches

o

Gonzer, does Blanchetiana self? I've never noticed any ripe berries on mine.

o

It sure does Winter.
Phil, at my age I don't have time for patience.

o

darn the computer died that i had the pictures on takes some new pictures of them on the weekend and my vriesea hazzle seed pods have finly ripen so i put a batch of them in is there any one in australia who might want some of its seeds there all selfed so i am not sure what i will get.

o

ok here are an update on my seed batch
these are sme neos i propegated from selfed seeds which i kinda mixed two broms berrys to gether by mistake
Photobucket
the two mothers are here not sure what they are as usual
unknown
and
unknown
here are my diekas
dyeka red planet

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here