Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
devo_2006

Dyckia that's albomarginated?

devo_2006
14 years ago

This is a 2 yr old seedling from a batch of Dyckia marnier-lapostollei hybrids, that has developed this kind of an albomarginated pattern. The pattern first became evident early summer, & I put it down to stress, as a couple of others showed a hint of a similar apttern. However, the plant has grown well over the summer, has been well watered, well fed, & now the pattern seems to have stabilised.

{{gwi:449480}}

With the reddish leaf margins, the spines really do give the impression of white teeth emerging from a fleshy red gum.

{{gwi:449481}}

{{gwi:449482}}

IÂve not seen any Dyckia with a pattern that lined up like this, so I thought I'd post the pic's & ask the question...Is it unusual?

Cheers, Andrew.

Comments (15)

• neomea
    14 years ago

Shot Andy, there is defo something there! Dont think its albo marg though but perhaps some sort of colour variation.

Nice plant though!

• devo_2006
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You're right Dennis...it's not albo...I got a bit carried away with the subject line !

Perhaps it could be Dyckia marginata ;-) Now if this had been a neo hybrid, with greenish leaves eadged in red I would be over the moon with joy, as the only one I know of with that sort of a colour pattern is Shelldance. But in Dyckia I'm not so sure it's unique?

• stephania
    14 years ago

Nice spiney boy there, Andrew (^_^)

I've a batch of D.m-l crossed with D.platyphylla, some of them show the patter
    but not clearly as yours.

{{gwi:449483}}

{{gwi:446122}}

This is an F2 offspring of D. 'Richard Kaz' a nice plant from our good friend, Lisa.
    It has the same marginated pattern.

{{gwi:449484}}

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Yours wins Andrew ,i am not into dyckia's but thats a nice plant,Jack

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Andrew,

I'm not into spinies myself, as I can manage to get enough skin damaged and lose enough blood just handling Neo's and Aechmeas.

However, that doesn't stop me from admiring a plant with a most unusual and attractive colour combination. Great work!

"Long live the hybridizer"

All the best Nev.

• devo_2006
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for your comments, IÂll be potting up my hybrid, & giving it the 5 star treatment now! Be careful Jack & Nev, the more you look at these Dyckia the more alluring they becomeÂ& before you know it youÂre hooked ;-)

Nice plants there Chanin, I espec like that 'Richard Kaz' F2 with its long spines. ItÂs good to see a few others with this marginated patternÂseems to stand out more on plants with less silver scales. By chance, this pic was posted today on ConstantinoÂs Dyckia blog, he describes it as an extremely succulent, bi-coloured new species from Mato Grosso. It has the same marginated pattern, but with no silver scales, the pattern is very defined.

{{gwi:449485}}

BTW; If you like great pic's of Dyckia, then check out Constantino's Blog, he really does have a passion for these plants! Make yourself a large cup of coffee, & grab something to eat, you'll be there for a while ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Dyckia Brazil Blog

• rickta66
    14 years ago

Devo,

Thanks for the Constantino's Blog link, lots of great looking plants there - I think I need to get a few more Dyckias.

Rick

• rickta66
    14 years ago

From Constantino's Blog

A nice looking Bigeneric possibly Hohenbergia correia-araujoi x Neo.

Rick

Here is a link that might be useful: Hohenbergia x Neoregelia

• bromadams
    14 years ago

I don't see any Neo in that cross and I doubt that a Hohenbergia would dominate a Neo.

• Constantino Gastaldi
    14 years ago

Hummm...I guess surprisingly I have the answer for that question but first of all I wish to say thank you for the many kind words here said on me and my blog. Thank you!

I have so much to say but I must try to be short.
    First the word ALBOMARGINATA. This word is Latim , I understand Latim and Portuguese my first language is Latin as it is spoken today. Also I studied Latin. Albomarginata means: Clear or white edged
    The plant here shown would be a RUBROMARGINATA (red edged) and in fact it really seems to be one of those.

Dark margination does appear in nature and some bromeliads are pruner to it then others. The plant first shown here clearly has D. marnier-lapostollei, Dyckia brevifolia and Dyckia fosteriana in its blood line.
    People Reffer to Dyckia platyphyla as a species but all now says it is really a hybrid! Platyphyla was never found anywhere in nature. Never!!!!! We can make beautiful platyphyla plants with Dyckia marnier-lapostollei and Dyckia brevifolia!! The author was used to both plants and had been to Dyckia marnier and Dyckia brevifolia habitats. This is all too weird, don´t you think at least so?
    But what I am trying to say is the reason, the origin of that rubro margination on that beautiful Dyckia we seehere by the first picture. I must have been induced by Dyckia fosteriana. Fosteriana leads to dark red marginations.

..and on porpose the plant from my Blog is a True species plant. Comes from a very rocky area close to the Araguaia River in Central Brazil. It is a true red margination and it is fixed but...not all elements or individuals on the population that specimen came from is marginated.

Once more thank you all for the kind words.
    I do believe in sharing knowledge as it is the True very Light. Without sharing it is useless like a glove without hand.

Be lucky, be blessed and be wise.
    Constantino from Brazil (Almost autumn. Here in South we can hear it knocking at our door.)

• stephania
    14 years ago

Hi Constantino (^_^)"

About the existence of Dyckia platyphylla, it's quite interesting topic!

From a hot issue in discussion group "Omundodasdyckias " they are talking about this topic.

A member, Reginaldo, said :

"...I was commenting to a friend (Eduardo Garden, the blog http://e-jardim. Blogspot. Com /) on the uncertainties in the place of occurrence of D. platyphylla and he brought an amazing information: Jones Caldas have found a native population of this species in RS!

As we know, this species was collected by Foster and description Lyman Smith put the merits as follows: "Bahia (?)". Moreover, as shown in the voucher origin "Goyaz.

In 1948 when the plant was collected by both Foster spent Bahia as the RS...."

Also, Walter Michael Kranz, a member had an intersting comment, personally:

"...If we consider that Foster, the collector D. platyphylla, was several times in Santa Catarina in the habitat of Dyckia brevifolia and was also at least twice in the habitat of D. fosteriana.

So in 1948 he grew the two species. Since tree nursery, multiply your plants vegetatively, by seed and also produced hybrids.

So I believe the Dyckia platyphylla may actually be a primary hybrid between the D. brevifolia and D. fosteriana because all platifilas appear to be growing in clonal plants. ..."

Anyways, they are trying to find out nearly soon!

Well! these are a batch of Dyckia platyphyll's seedlings...

There are some plain green offsprings appears that would serve hybrid theory.

{{gwi:443122}}

{{gwi:443125}}

{{gwi:443126}}

• udo69
    14 years ago

Hi Andrew, Pee Pong ,Constantino and All,

Andrew : Very nice red edge with silvery spine dyckia. I like your plants. Well done.

Constantino : Thank for your interesting information. I like your blog very much, have a lot of information including very nice pics. of plants that can not find everywhere. How about the book of Dyckia? When do you think it's completed?

PeePong : Your plants still be fantastic esp. an F2 offspring of D. 'Richard Kaz' Thank for sharing

Cheers
    Yong

• sanga
    14 years ago

Hi all
    If devo's plant is Rubromarginated,What would you call one with spots??Could it be a type of variegation??
    Its one I picked as a seedling because of different markings and they look to be coming through in the offsets as well.

Sanga
    http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb230/sanga_01/spineys/IMG_5086.jpg

• sanga
    14 years ago

Oops
    {{gwi:449487}}
    thats better

• Constantino Gastaldi
    14 years ago

Hi Chanin and spiny fellows.What a pleasure!
    All in all we will never know the truth about this plant. But in fact in deep....who really cares? But this is useful for we do not trust blindly on Botanics! We have many more pearls on that string! Personally I disgust people names when given to plants and animals. Latim words are much more useful for everybody. Let us leave people´s name to corners, roads, streets, harbours, airports, builduing and things made by man. Hybrids may receive human names.

Well I know personally Dr, Jones Caldas. He lives here in Porto Alegre ( the biggest city south in Brazil) and he is one of the most kind and gentle fellows I ´ve the pleasure to have met. His bromeliad collection is unique in the world and I never saw anything close to that even on pictures. He loves the beauty, the rare, the astonishing one plants. Sinceraly, noone has seen bromeliads until visiting Dr. Jones! It is tottaly worthwhile a visit no matter one needs to cross the Seven Seas to get here.
    The platyphylla population he found in o Grande do Sul in fact seems to be made by plants intentionaly introduced to nature. Rio Grande do Sul has many Dyckia enthusiasts and not all has a brilliant mind.
    I am totally out of Mundo das Dyckias but it is a good place to know about Dyckias but the very deep concerns are not ever discussed there as they are ever affraid of hurting (some prefer to talk behind).

That spottet plant would be a MACULATA. In latin the word for spot is MACULA (in Português MÃCULA), So that would be a maculata plant.

I guess that is not the case. It seems to be a temporary reaction to virus or bacteria. Viruses create this and even variagation is linked to some viruses attack

We just begun to lift the cover on Dyckias knowledge. We konw almost nothing about Dyckias as all we know is just a tiny bit of what is left to be known.

Many nice surprises are about to come.

My book? Only God knows...it is almost ready but it is all the time almost ready as I keep on updating it. Also it is in English and English is not my beach (as we say in Portuguese). One day it will come to light and be Light!

God bless you all. Be blessed, be wise and be happy!

Sponsored
More Discussions